User Tag List

Thread: 6 MPS ruined 1 tyre, do I buy 2 or 4?

Default 6 MPS ruined 1 tyre, do I buy 2 or 4?

Hello knowledgeable people,

I Killed a tyre over the weekend. I got a flat somewhere, but I didn't notice driving on it... got home and side wall shows stretch marks. Oops

My question is - because of the 6MPS's AWD do I need to replace all 4 tires? Or just replacing the front 2 is OK? I have currently Yokohama Advan Sport V103 (225/45/R18 and about 3 years old) which is a discontinued model now, so the replacement won't be the same.

Cheers
    Stewart

Definitely 4, unless the others were relatively brand new with most tread remaining, the car does not like differences in rolling diameter lol

If they were fairly new, you could maybe get the new one shaved down to the same size, but if already 3 years old, just upgrade to a new set.

I have a CX7 with the same transfer case and diff. I have never had a problem with a pair of tyres (on one axle) being more worn than the other pair. Tyre wear is usually limited to about 5mm between new and illegal.

If your rears are in good condition I would try leaving them on and start with two new front tyres. The fronts will wear quicker than the rear until they are all similar.

If you buy the same tyre size front and rear it should be OK. If it is causing problems you can buy the other pair of tyres easily to correct the problem.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

For the sake of $500 it seems worth the risk to replace 2 and see how it goes. Then if needs be do the other 2.

For anyone following along, I just got 4 new tyres. The old ones were worn enough to justify it, otherwise I'd be getting completely out of sync with tyre rotation and replacement.