User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine rebuild suggestions?

1. Default Engine rebuild suggestions?

Hi all,

It’s been a slow day as work as the email servers are down, so I thought I’d get on to the forums.

I've been thinking of having my engine rebuilt with forged internals over the next couple of months so am looking up reputable engine builders in Perth. Any suggestions, especially by anyone who’s had an MPS engine rebuilt, would be very welcome.

Many enjoyable hours have been spent reading this forum about member rebuilds, I don't always understand all the technical details but they're still great to read.

As for my car, in in terms of engine work, the following mods are currently installed.

• GTX3071R turbo
    • 2XS ceramic coated exhaust manifold
    • 3 inch exhaust with CP-E downpipe.
    • HTP 3” intake into a modified Corksport cold air box
    • Cobb 3 port boost solenoid
    • 3 Bar MAP sensor
    • ITV22 spark plugs
    • Autotech HPFP internals
    • Turbosmart BPV
    • Coolingmist Water-Meth injection kit
    • Street Unit TMIC + SU boost tubes (FMIC on the way)
    • JBR oil catch can
    • Accessport V3 (Tuning by Ray D)

I’ve gone a bit overboard with the Black Friday sales, this is the list of stuff I have on the way :

• Treadstone TR1035 Intercooler core
    • JMF V1 Intake Manifold
    • ACT 6 puck clutch with light flywheel
    • CPE Stage 3 pistons (90mm overbore, 10.5 : 1 compression)
    • K1 forged rods
    • CPE injector seals
    • JBR BS delete and oil pan baffle kit
    • DCR VVT Actuator
    • SP63 L19 Head studs
    • ARP Main studs
    • ARP Cam bolts
    • ARP Crank bolt
    • ARP Flywheel bolts

There are still bearings and washers and gaskets that have to be bought but what exactly to get i'm not too sure so I figure that I might wait till the rebuild place can provide some advice about what else to get.

But is the EdgeAutosport motor build kit be worth getting? Stage 3 MZR Motor Build Kit MS3/MS6 2006-2013

Is there anything else that is likely to be required?

I'm aiming for a RELIABLE 400hp at the wheels, so if there are any other suggestions or ideas, I would be happy to hear them... Thanks guys!

Wow! That's a damn nice list of parts!

Not sure about the rebuild kit but someone else might chime in about that. Looking at the list I would think yes it would be worth getting just need to make sure that you get the right bearing size to suit your forged rods etc.

As for builders... I'm fairly sure you'll be the first person in WA with a built engine for a MPS. I would source out a couple and see who's more keen. Guys like Galvsport or RPW might be worth looking into. Galvsport do a lot of work on RB engines and GTR work and RPW do a lot of EVO work.

I would probably say that Galvsport would be the best around though.

3. Default

Cool, thanks mate... I'll add them to the list to check out.... I buy my methanol from RPW

I've never used Galvsport but the guys on the wrx forum seem to like him as well...

Most of the work on the car has been done by Ramp auto, and they're great guys who do great work... but it doesn't hurt to have options...

Looks like you have a good list of parts there.

Id forget about the BSD, it's a waste of time. I did it but I will be putting mine back in. There are no noticeable gains to be had from removing it. Vibes aren't that noticeable unless you have the drivers side engine mount.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobydoo View Post
    Cool, thanks mate... I'll add them to the list to check out.... I buy my methanol from RPW

I've never used Galvsport but the guys on the wrx forum seem to like him as well...

Most of the work on the car has been done by Ramp auto, and they're great guys who do great work... but it doesn't hurt to have options...

Yeah they've got a really good reputation for quality and attention to detail. They also do walnut media cleaning for intake valves too btw which is a really difficult thing to find!

I've also heard a lot of good things about Ramp, just not sure if they build engines or not

Stage 3 Pistons are crazy. What made you want to go with those?

7. Default

I wasn't going to do the BSD initially, but there is a post here by Reddjinn about how his ARP head studs were pressing on the BS when he had it reinstalled... So i figure just delete it... plus i guess it doesn't hurt to have a bit more oil in the oil pan... As for the vibrations, all the mounts on the car have already been replaced, so i'm used to vibes...

The stage 3 pistons are higher compression than stock... From what i can gather, there are benefits to having higher compression in a direct injection engine, provided it's tuned properly... So i figure give it a shot, see if it works... Most manufacturers seem to offer higher compression pistons as an option... I'm actually more concerned about the 90mm overbore... i hope that's not too much...

I'm fully mounted too that's why I said it. I have the stock drivers side mount back in till I put the BSD back in cause it makes the vibes twice as bad. You can cut a few mm off the ARP main studs to fit the balance shaft. I'm glad I did.

Last edited by ledfootrob; 01-12-2014 at 04:41 PM.

9. Default

Something to consider... Thanks mate...

Hmmm, tr10... Over kill much?
    What piping you using with the jmf?

11. Default

Haha... Go big or go home...

It's just the core, no piping... when the JMF gets here, i guess we'll fit it and the intercooler and get some custom piping done up... 2.5inch pipe hopefully...

I hope it'll fit without hacking up the crash bar too much... I also would like to keep the windscreen washer bottle... Not asking for much eh?

It's just the core, no piping... when the JMF gets here, i guess we'll fit it and the intercooler and get some custom piping done up... 2.5inch pipe hopefully...

I hope it'll fit without hacking up the crash bar too much... I also would like to keep the windscreen washer bottle... Not asking for much eh?
    Gen 1? On the Gen 2 there is not a chance in hell a core like that will fit without crashbar mods.

13. Default

It's a 6... I've anticipated there will be some cutting, so it's ok...

I'm going to say no...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1417420532373.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	17042
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1417420677687.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	17043

Crash-intercooler-bar! Dual purpose, I like it! :P

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Crash-intercooler-bar! Dual purpose, I like it! :P
    I like the way you think... Haha...

Plus if we Paint it black and ... "Oh Officer, it's not a giant intercooler, it's just my radiatior."

It does look huge... Oh well, i'll take some pictures of it when we're fitting it, see how it goes...

Is your radiator going to get ANY air with that thing in front of it?!

If you cut up the front grill and block off the intake for the TMIC bit it will get we air

Not sure if it's possible but have you considered to have the outlet on top of the intercooler then squeeze it up under the radiator support to lessen pipe work....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast