User Tag List

Thread: If car is relatively taken care of, how many km's on average can a Mazda last?

1. Default If car is relatively taken care of, how many km's on average can a Mazda last?

Hi there,

So i will be looking to purchase a 2nd hand MPS soon. I've never driven a Mazda before, and the car I have currently is a Honda.

My Honda has done 230k+ kms, and I know Honda have a good reputation on lasting long.

What about Mazdas? Ive seen a few MPS's for sale that have done around 150k km's, is that considered a lot for mazdas? Should I fork out a little more $$ for one that had done <100k kms?

thanks in advance.

Yes and yes IMO. Unless you want to rebuild and upgrade everything.

Mines about to hit 200,000kms and still running strong, so far so good, touch wood.

4. Default

Nah, I'm not looking to upgrade /rebuild everything. Hmm, ok might look around at lower kms then.

Assuming good service history and had VVT done, is say low 100's should be OK

It's hard to know tho... We've seen brand new engines with leaking main seal and piston rings poorly installed

Hang on a minute, it depends what car and what year it was made. A 2007 MPS 6 (last year of production) with 150,000 kms on it would be a better buy, by far then an 05 model (first year of production)

I have a bit more time to explain my first brief answers above.

Firstly have a look at this thread for cars with over 160,000km.

100,000 + miles club - Mazdaspeed Forums

We have had three Mazda (non turbo) cars in the family with over 200,000km and no major issues. However my second hand 626 V6 did have some issues and obviously had a rough life before I got it.

The turbo Mazda's are a more highly stressed motor and if they are not serviced regularly and driven properly they can fail prematurely.

My CX7 has so far done 130,000kms with no major mechanical issues and I am hoping to get it to 200,000km. It does have a replacement low km turbo from an MPS3 which will help.

Once you start getting over 100,000km there are a number of failures that become more likely. VVT actuator, turbo seals, timing chain, engine and transmission mounts, A/C compressor, transfer case for MPS6 and CX7 etc.

Considering a dealer will charge you about $2000 to change out the timing gear and VVT it makes sense to me to spend that extra money on a lower km model (usually later year build too) with a full service history and a knowledgable owner.

The DISI turbo motor needs to be driven hard sometimes and needs regular oil changes to remain reliable. There have been a number of failures at high load and low revs, known colloquially as ZZB for Zoom Zoom Boom. Here is one explanation of this.

One of the reasons behind breaking rods and ringlands - Mazdaspeed Forums

I hope this helps.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    I have a bit more time to explain my first brief answers above.

Firstly have a look at this thread for cars with over 160,000km.

100,000 + miles club - Mazdaspeed Forums

We have had three Mazda (non turbo) cars in the family with over 200,000km and no major issues. However my second hand 626 V6 did have some issues and obviously had a rough life before I got it.

The turbo Mazda's are a more highly stressed motor and if they are not serviced regularly and driven properly they can fail prematurely.

My CX7 has so far done 130,000kms with no major mechanical issues and I am hoping to get it to 200,000km. It does have a replacement low km turbo from an MPS3 which will help.

Once you start getting over 100,000km there are a number of failures that become more likely. VVT actuator, turbo seals, timing chain, engine and transmission mounts, A/C compressor, transfer case for MPS6 and CX7 etc.

Considering a dealer will charge you about $2000 to change out the timing gear and VVT it makes sense to me to spend that extra money on a lower km model (usually later year build too) with a full service history and a knowledgable owner.

The DISI turbo motor needs to be driven hard sometimes and needs regular oil changes to remain reliable. There have been a number of failures at high load and low revs, known colloquially as ZZB for Zoom Zoom Boom. Here is one explanation of this.

One of the reasons behind breaking rods and ringlands - Mazdaspeed Forums

I hope this helps.

That helps heaps - thank you.

I was looking at the 06 MPS 3's. the newer models are slightly out of my price range at the moment. I've found a couple of them with around 80k Km's that are within my price range, so hopefully they will do me good.