User Tag List

Thread: Cobb AP Strange Readings

1. Default Cobb AP Strange Readings

Hi All,

I have recently noticed that when monitoring my cobb AP every now and then the data will either freeze or throw values at the maximum range for the parameter (e.g. boost will read 98,9).

I have noticed this seems to almost always happen when i go over a bumpy surface (e.g. rail crossing). Data readings will return to normal several seconds after the bumpy surface.

This leads me to believe there is a wiring / connection issue somewhere (though I may be wrong, it does occassionally happen when cruising on a flat surface however the bumps will almost always trigger it).

I had a general look around the engine bay with a focus around my intake area (as i recently replaced the OEM intake with a CS SRI / TIP).
    I have also inspected the AP cable and connections and was unable to see anything obvious.
    Battery terminals seem fine and chassis grounds (from above) look ok.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or does anyone have any suggestions for fault finding?

This is really starting to drive me nuts.

Cheers,
    Disco

3. Default

which answer are you referring to?

It's impossible for your car to read to 99psi as the sensor only goes to 22(ish) psi... Assuming stock map sensor

Have seen this happen on other v2's

Thinking it's an issue with the AP

5. Default

Interesting.
    I think that helps ruling out sensor failure.
    I still suspect the issue is cable (i.e. ground or connection) related given it happens almost every time I go over a decent bump in the road.
    My guess is that when the connection is disturbed and the AP for example receives a signal input well out of expected range it doesnt know what to make resulting in a nonsensical value displayed.
    I will continue investigating further.

Try a different cable ,if problem persists your AP is fuked

7. Default

Hi All,
    Just an update in the event anyone else has a similar issue.
    I disconnected and sprayed most of the connectors in the engine bay with contact cleaner.
    I have been running for a week and the issue has not come back so it looks like the problem has been fixed (considering it was happening several times a day).

I cant pin down which connector it was (or whether this is just coincidental) but i get the idea there must have either been a poorly connected loom or some pins wth surface corrosion making poor contact.

Either way, thanks for you input and suggestions thus far and hopefully this may help someone else in the future.

Cheers,
    Disco