User Tag List

Thread: Mazda CEO closes door on talk of RX sports car revival

Default Mazda CEO closes door on talk of RX sports car revival

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Mazda

Some rumors in the auto industry simply refuse to die. Over the last decade, a few of the strongest have focused on Japan. A few years ago, we could have explained away the constant whispering over a new Toyota Supra, Acura NSX or Mazda RX-7 as nostalgia for Japan's golden era of performance. Today, though is different.

We already have the Nissan GT-R, and, thanks to the Toyota FT-1 Concept, a Supra successor finally appears to be on the way. Acura will someday, allegedly, deliver on its promise to put the NSX on sale. So where does that leave the third member of the Japanese performance trio mentioned above? Well, um, it still isn't happening.

"We don't have that kind of vehicle in our future product plan," Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai told Automotive News when asked about a successor to the rotary-powered RX line. "If you increase the number of segments, then the resources we can allocate to each will decline and that will prevent us from developing truly good products."

Kogai's planning, according to AN, sees Mazda focusing more on its increasingly strong, efficient mainstream lineup, rather than its iconic sports cars, owing to its limited spending money.

"It's difficult for us at present to further expand our lineup," Kogai told Automotive News. "The company is still in the process of improving its financial structure. We want to focus our limited resources on the Skyactiv products that we have today."

While enthusiasts may lament this move, analysts in Japan seem quite pleased with it. "A brand this size needs only so many poster cars," Kurt Sanger, an analyst with Deutsche Securities Japan, told AN.

Do you agree? Should the growing proliferation of performance vehicles, particularly Japanese brands, push Mazda back towards a rotary sports car? Have your say in Comments.Mazda CEO closes door on talk of RX sports car revival originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Booo

Boo hiss

Back to Nissan / Mitsubishi I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    Back to Nissan / Mitsubishi I guess!
    Don't think Mitsubishi is doing much these days either.

Quote Originally Posted by 70DDD View Post
    Don't think Mitsubishi is doing much these days either.
    Maybe getting an evo x or something...... I love my MPS6 but eventually will want something new. Cant decide if I want to go old school rice (GTR 34 / lancer / Silvia etc), Lexus / BMW or maybe even the new mustang.....

If Mazda did a new MPS6 I would almost certainly be all over that though....
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

Damn it... I was hoping that mazda wouldn't let the rotary die. Don't get me wrong, I love my mps 6; but there is something about a rotary that just puts a big smirk on your face when you're driving. I wonder how hard it would be to put a 20b into an mps :-?

Quote Originally Posted by RADAZ6 View Post
    Damn it... I was hoping that mazda wouldn't let the rotary die. Don't get me wrong, I love my mps 6; but there is something about a rotary that just puts a big smirk on your face when you're driving. I wonder how hard it would be to put a 20b into an mps :-?
    Likely easier than putting a disi into a rx7
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

9. Default

Don't drop the ball Mazda, Mitsubishi has already killed off the EVO. Don't forget Honda will have a new Civic type R in 2015/16 that will be the most powerful motor Honda has released to the public. It will be beaten once the NSX goes on sale.