User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New tyres are rubbish

Default New tyres are rubbish

Hi,

Roadworthy was done, exhaust passed Front springs issue Im fixing, unfortunately it needed 4 new tyres.

I asked the guy to quote me on Potenza S001's which were $310 each, he said what about Pirellis, I thought theyd be more expensive but the P1 he quoted on was half the price and he said I wouldnt notice the difference between the two.

The old tyres on the car were 'Triangles', a cheap directional tyre (which actually handled really well).

Once I drove out of the store and drove for a bit, I could tell the P1's had WAY less grip than the cheap Triangles.

I've used these guys before for tyres and they have always looked after me and given me good advice but these tyres for grip and handling are rubbish.

I'm not sure what I can do, Im going to go back to the guys this morning and see what they say but dont know what, if anything, I can do.

Default New tyres are rubbish

Cheap, nasty, hard, non-performance oriented tires recommended by a salesman as 'you won't tell the difference' are crap? What a surprise.

From a quick google search, they appear to be not even in the same league as the s001, so if you get grumpy enough you should be able to return them and get something proper. Good luck

Tires are an area where you should always get the best (in terms of quality, not just price mind you) that you can afford IMO.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5920
    Last edited by Lachlan; 11-11-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Update:

I didnt need to get grumpy, a bit shout out to the guys at Motorsport Wheels and Tyres in Derrimut VIC. Like I said I've been there before and they have always looked after me.
    They had no problems taking the tyres back and offering me something else. I decided on the Pirelli P Zero's, any comments on these? Should I get something else?

i had pzeros @ 50% ( when i got the car) but they seemed good for a bit till 20 % ish then deteriorated very fast.. had a mate with same experience... a few people are running achillies ATR sport 2 ( im also going to go with those when i need tyres) ther under 150 a corner and are pretty good from what i hear .. but check it out first... also seeing you have a 6 like me ... i kinda like a little slid action lol...

Thanks Lachlan, I looked into the Yoki AD08R's you have, nothing but positives on google about them.

So will be going with them. They charged me full retail ($367 a tyre) but considering they are willing to take the other ones back I cant really argue that much.

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    i had pzeros @ 50% ( when i got the car) but they seemed good for a bit till 20 % ish then deteriorated very fast.. had a mate with same experience... a few people are running achillies ATR sport 2 ( im also going to go with those when i need tyres) ther under 150 a corner and are pretty good from what i hear .. but check it out first... also seeing you have a 6 like me ... i kinda like a little slid action lol...
    Thanks Skeet, Im gonna try the Yokies, they have awesome reviews. Im sure they'll be much better than the P1's!!

i was thinkin wtf is a yokie lol.. i got it after 5 seconds...

Ha ha, you went 100% in the other direction. The yokos are like freaking glue and are very responsive. You won't get much life out of them though (super soft), so if that's an issue you might look at something in between. If that's not a problem, you will definitely enjoy them when you push the car...plus they leave funky looking tracks in your garage when wet
    And good on the shop for taking care of you.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Ha ha, you went 100% in the other direction. The yokos are like freaking glue and are very responsive. You won't get much life out of them though (super soft), so if that's an issue you might look at something in between. If that's not a problem, you will definitely enjoy them when you push the car...plus they leave funky looking tracks in your garage when wet
    And good on the shop for taking care of you.
    How long do your tyres last? The MPS is a second car and more of a toy than anything so I doubt I'll do more than 5,000km a year in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    i was thinkin wtf is a yokie lol.. i got it after 5 seconds...
    ...you know....like egg yokie

@MPS6Melb tyres lasted about 20k, maybe a touch under, but they did not have a good life so I guess 'your mileage may vary', literally. That's 4 years for you though, so sounds pretty ok.

Yokohamas grip like nothing else but they are quite noisy.

Had Pirelli P1's on a NA8 MX5. They were, well....they were round and black and held air. They did the job, but that was on a 1.8ltr MX5, certainly wouldn't want to put MPS levels of power through them

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Yokohamas grip like nothing else but they are quite noisy.
    Hmmm are they? Now Im not quite sure what to do as I just took a sweeping bend near my house that I took yesterday at $1.20 and it didnt grip well, mind you the tyres were brand new.
    I just took the same corner just now at about $1.40 and it gripped fine and couldve easily taken move.
    We are moving to the Yarra Valley next week though where there are lots of fun winding roads, Im sure the Yokohamas are the way to go handling wise.

I think..........

14. Default

AD08Rs are probably one of, if not the best street tyre you could go for and are a great investment, especially for cars that struggle with traction. A few mates with Hondas that occasionally track run them for both street and Winton. Theyve never looked back.

Also, brand new tyres dont grip when you drive them out of the shop. Either burn off the top layer with a burnout or wait 500km or so
    Last edited by KFC247; 11-11-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Semi slicks (ad08/rs3/ku36) have epic traction
    But they are noisy...

16. Default

Im very happy with my Michelin PS3's. 9000k's so far and haven't worn a huge amount and heaps of grip. Not too badly priced either.

KFC247 is right, new tyres have release agent on them making them initially slippery.

Pilot Super Sports
    But... $$$ :'(

18. Default

I just went for another drive, the P1's (surprisingly) handled alot better. I dont intend to do trackwork with the car however i do enjoy cornering hard at times. Not sure if I should keep them or spend the extra $800 for the AD08R's.......hmm decisions decisions

19. Default

Do a bit more research on tyres before you make a decision. The problem with soft compound tyres like ad08r is that you need to run them at the right pressures and recognise their limits at different temps to get the most out of them. You cant drive out the garage and hard corner out of your street expecting them to stick like glue when cold. A more street friendly tyre you can look into are bridgestone adrenalin re002s, they grip reasonably well and dont require as much heat into them like r1r/ku36/rsr/ad08 do. Theyre also much better in the wet

Another good option are hankook rs3. Still very grippy but a bit better in the cold or wet than the AD08s. Fair bit cheaper too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast