User Tag List

Thread: Turbo Whistle

Default Turbo Whistle

I'm looking for a bit of advice/help here peoples!

My work truck is an 08 Toyota Hilux 3.0ltr Turbo Deisel - great truck, very spritely and nice to drive.
    I have noticed that the turbo makes a whistling sound as it builds up, and was wondering why it makes that noise?
    I don't have a BOV on my MPS, but I'm liking the sound coming out of my Hilux - is there anyway to get the MPS to emit a similar sound on the build-up, rather than the noise of a BOV on the gear changes???

Does that make sense??

Any info would be appreciated gang

Blog Entries

CAI sounds like it would do the trick, assuming you do not already have one?

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    CAI sounds like it would do the trick, assuming you do not already have one?
    Ummm.scuse my ignorance, but what is CAI

Blog Entries

Cold Air intake- essentially a pipe that moves your air filter to in front of your front wheel so it sucks in cold air, instead of heated engine air like the factory airbox does.

Quote Originally Posted by shinslinger66 View Post
    Cold Air intake- essentially a pipe that moves your air filter to in front of your front wheel so it sucks in cold air, instead of heated engine air like the factory airbox does.
    Aaaahh, I see now...D'OHETH!

No, I don't have one fo those...yet. My MPS is pretty much stock, in fact, it is just stock...

Blog Entries

Well looks like you might have to invest in a CAI for it then

Pretty much any form of after market (performance) intake will do the trick, you have the options of the aforementioned CAI, or an SRI (Short Ram intake) which is a pod filter that resides in the same location as the stock airbox and is usually a cheaper alternative, either of these will make quite a bit of noise, some people have even reported spool up sounds from simply changing the factory panel filter for a K&N replacement filter.

I have a mazdaspeed intake and the induction noise is amazing, worthwhile mod.
    Even with the stock BOV you will still be able to hear it vent with aftermarket intake.

Do it, though I warn you.. once you do you wont stop

You can do a simple mod to decide if you'd like the sound and performance of an intake before committing dollars. Duct tape the airfilter to the top half of the air box. Then loosen the screw and rotate the top section so it's standing sideways in the bottom section (or remove the bottom section). Check clearance before closing the bonnet.

Drive around for a bit. You will hear the whistle of the turbo and the whoosh of the BPV when you close the throttle. There will probably also be a difference in throttle response.

But don't leave you car that way for longer than a short test drive, it's not terribly safe for the engine if the air filter falls out.

After that little exercise I guarantee you'll want a CAI or SRI.

Gone to Volvo

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    I have a mazdaspeed intake and the induction noise is amazing, worthwhile mod.
    Even with the stock BOV you will still be able to hear it vent with aftermarket intake.

Do it, though I warn you.. once you do you wont stop
    Where did you get yours from Jmac? How much was it?? Easy to fit???

Deano, I've got the CPE CAI, bought this over a year ago from the RPM store in the US when the exchange rate was good (and it's good again now), though I think MPS garage have them too!

With mine at low rpm it sounds like an angry vacuum cleaner, though as RPM builds the whistling noise increases and the vacuum sound decreases. Let me know if you want to take it for a drive, I'm in Kewdale, where're you based?

Also very easy to fit, all you need is a bit of time and some tools
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Get an SRI the sound is louder than a CAI as its closer to the driver ...love the sound but you get used to it after a while ...

Quote Originally Posted by shakespeare View Post
    Deano, I've got the CPE CAI, bought this over a year ago from the RPM store in the US when the exchange rate was good (and it's good again now), though I think MPS garage have them too!

With mine at low rpm it sounds like an angry vacuum cleaner, though as RPM builds the whistling noise increases and the vacuum sound decreases. Let me know if you want to take it for a drive, I'm in Kewdale, where're you based?

Also very easy to fit, all you need is a bit of time and some tools
    Cheers Shakes!
    I'm based in Bassendean, but am, out and about as well.
    Are you still on the road? When's your next trip to Kal scheduled?
    Might take you up on the offer of a drive...

get yourself a mazdaspeed induction from the USA, they are really good, and the sound is super addictive !

i have one on my car, absolutely love it

Quote Originally Posted by heath_303 View Post
    get yourself a mazdaspeed induction from the USA, they are really good, and the sound is super addictive !

i have one on my car, absolutely love it
    Where/how did you get yours dude?
    How much was it?

Not sure of the availability of the Mazdaspeeds anymore, the CPE should be the go..

There are some other options available too..
    If you would like a local supplier check these out http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/shop/sea...ps-intake.html

You could look at a CAI (Cold Air Induction) like the CPE or Mazdaspeed or a SRI (Short Ram Intake) like the CPE nano or Cobb Tuning SF.

Here is some reading material for you;

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...t-ram-not.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...sf-intake.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...nlet-pipe.html
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/intak...nlet-pipe.html

Cheers
    Justin
    Last edited by Jmac; 17-06-2009 at 01:26 PM.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Get an SRI the sound is louder than a CAI as its closer to the driver ...love the sound but you get used to it after a while ...
    I found that my CPE CAI was louder than my TXS SRI, I believe this was due to the aluminium piping of the CAI, over the stock ribbed rubber tubing that the SRI bolted on to, bov was a lot louder too.

Quote Originally Posted by EVILMPS View Post
    Where/how did you get yours dude?
    How much was it?
    hey mate,
    i got mine from a mazda dealership in the usa when i was over there, they dont sell them anymore due to some issues with CEL with people not installing them correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMPS3 View Post
    I found that my CPE CAI was louder than my TXS SRI, I believe this was due to the aluminium piping of the CAI, over the stock ribbed rubber tubing that the SRI bolted on to, bov was a lot louder too.
    yeah replacing the rubber inlet with aluminiur would make it louder ...TIP & SRI = nice and loud
    マツダスピード