User Tag List

Thread: Black smoke......

Default Black smoke......

So I flew to Adelaide, picked up my MPS yesterday and drove back right away to Melbourne.

Wasnt as bad as I thought, 8 hours or so with a couple of breaks, was 37 over there so a nice evening for a long drive.

I said to the guy when I picked it up (after already paying it for so the car was mine) is there ANYTHING at all wrong with it so I know what to get fixed first. He says no.

1 1/2 hours into the drive I stop at Tailem Bend to get fuel, notice that the left side where the bumper joins the car is poking out a bit, theres no clips there. First thing needing fixing.

Then while driving I put my arm on the arm rest and it is loose and wobbly. Next thing needing fixing.

A couple of hours later I approach a car and as I change from 6th to 5th, overtake him from 100-115 and notice quite a big puff of black smokes in my rear view mirror. This concerned me a little. I also noticed both exhaust tips had a ring of black around them, I assumed oil. IS it just that the car is running rich or worse? Turbo problems??

When I pulled up at the next town I checked the oil (I am by far not mechanically minded when it comes to cars) and it seemed to be quite over maximum on the stick, meaning there was too much in there maybe (this was just after I had turned off the car too so some of the oil was still in the engine).

The longer I drove I noticed the car sounded like a truck. Not really badly like I have heard before in other cars, but just a little bit.

Also noticed a whirring sound from the wheels (maybe the bearings?).

Anyway I got her home about 1am. Getting a roadworthy Monday then a full service and check up Tuesday.

I intend to mod the car quite a bit so fingers crossed anything that is wrong is something I was going to change anyway!

Anyway I got it for a great price, only has 78,000km (plus the 1000km last night!) so am still happy with the purchase, so far......

Black Smoke = most likely running rich. MPSes are tune to run quite rich. The longer you stay on this forums, the clearer that will become.

If your car sounds like a truck aka diesel engine - Check your VVT and timing chain - that may need to be replaced as the chain (although recommended by Mazda never to be changed in its lifetime) has been known to get loose. A couple of guys have got time replaced

Enjoy your new ride...
    Last edited by mech81; 08-11-2014 at 10:13 AM.

I have had mine replaced (vvt kit from @EdgeAutosport ). What mods are you going to do? Black smoke is the least worst of smoke. Maybe you do have a bit too much oil in the engine, but the guy doing the road worthy should be able to help you out with that.

cheers guys, i have an update you were both right.

As I found out and he agreed, the moron who serviced the car last put WAY too much oil in it so the car is burning it, he'll fix it Tuesday when he services it. He said not to worry too much the engines are strong (he even said if it was a Ford or Holden I'd be in more trouble if it was black smoke lol).

wsDKII probably modding it like most I guess, will do most of the mods the guys in here have without going to the extent of larger turbo and internal engine mods. I've seen some posts on the VVT kit, will get that for sure for peace of mind.

I've also got an 08 Liberty GT-B tuned by STi wagon and I've had it for 18 months. I like it but its boring to drive as a semi auto, i miss the MPS manual. My wife will be getting the Liberty and I'll keep the MPS as my toy. Some in here might think I'm a bit mad but I think the MPS looks way better, the cruise control is WAY better, GT-B changes gears SO slowly. MPS is a much sexier car

Check where the noise is coming from... Direct injection motors are a lot noisier... Could be injectors + hpfp...

Black smoke is fine, it's unburnt fuel... Stock tune is quite rich too

007 smokescreen FTW
    http://youtu.be/7hoW7vGuHFo

I get a bit more black smoke since I removed the EGR

Where abouts in melb are you? I think we could team up with Pete and put a new black haze over Melbourne.

Quote Originally Posted by slixx View Post
    007 smokescreen FTW
    Mazda 3 MPS GenII (Rear) @ ACE - Cobb AP Stage 2 OTS - YouTube

I get a bit more black smoke since I removed the EGR
    Thats an incentive for you to come off the pedal - blinds the opposition lol @slixx

S2000s don't have a chance behind you when they have the roof down...lol