User Tag List

Thread: CEL light caused from EGR valve

Default CEL light caused from EGR valve

Hey guys,

So this morning i was driving to work and my CEL light came on.

I stopped into a mechanics and he scanned it for me and said it was my EGR valve. He deleted the code and i drove to work (about another 15 mins) and it didnt come back on.

What are the chances it will come back? and if it does how difficult/expensive would it be to replace my EGR valve or clean it out?

Any idea what the exact code was? Hard to give proper advice without it...

Egr isn't that difficult to remove... But causes permanent CEL (unless disabled by a tune)

Didnt find out the exact code...Just told me my EGR valve had picked up a dirty reading or something like that?

see how it goes..if it comes on again il get it scanned and get an exact code. Touch wood it doesnt come back on though!

I recommend that you have a decent mechanic check and clean out both the passageway and the valve pintle first,
    it could be 1 of 4 possible issues.

Faulty Valve
    Wiring from ECM or internally inside ECM
    (Above 2 Less likely in my experience)

Carbon buildup on pintle & seat(Causing flow under conditions not desirable, lean mixture)

Blocked passage(Causing extreme engine damage from detonation)

With the last one(Blocked passage) This is the equivalent of an egr block off plate, i wont say it suprises me but the amount of people
    that are blocking off there egr's without even a second thought in alot of cases to how the system actually functions, it is a little discerning.

Blocking off the egr is a big no no... ignition advance is callibrated in the factory ECM memory for fuel efficency/emissions, once
    the valve is blocked off there is the chance of your engine detonating under certain engine load conditions because the timing advance
    will be excessive for that condition because the ECM calibration was factoring in a certain percentage of egr. Say 20% throttle for example, but with this flow not present will change the air fuel mixture.

This post wasnt intended to have a rant, just wanting to give yourself and others a little insight into how the ECM & EGR sub system interact.

Mitch
    Last edited by mymps11; 21-10-2014 at 07:20 AM.