User Tag List

Thread: Optimum Gloss-Coat

Default Optimum Gloss-Coat

We have a brilliant new coating from Optimum Polymer Technologies called Optimum Gloss-Coat.

This is the perfect coating for all levels of experience due to it's ease of use. Unlike Opti-Coat that can take some skill to apply, Gloss-Coat goes on very easily will little to no effort.

Expect around 2+ years durability with Gloss-Coat. High gloss and slick finish and awesome water beading effect.

Gloss-Coat on OPT website https://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/pr...loss-coat.html
    Gloss-Coat also available @ ZAS https://www.zas.com.au/product/717/o...coat_10cc.html

Hi Zaz maybe it would be usefull to know more about it's "very easy application will little to no effort".
    the thought of applying a semi permanent finish to my car is attractive yet terrifying
    I have looked at the links and found little detail on the process.

I just some to try in my 6 from ZAS yesterday... Fingers crossed (pending bonnet respray) I'll have it finished off this weekend and have a fairly lengthy post up next week.

Having used opti-coat on a couple of cars I'm expecting a similar application although I hear that it is a little more 'thick' to apply. Its not that hard but with all things coating most of the effort is in the prep... Get that right, take a methodical approach and its actually fairly easy.

It will also be going on our daily fridge white rolla as a torture test.

The 2+ year life span is appealing to me but I will really miss the regular Opti-coat.

Also @ZAS please please please please bring back Opticoat :P

Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    Hi Zaz maybe it would be usefull to know more about it's "very easy application will little to no effort".
    the thought of applying a semi permanent finish to my car is attractive yet terrifying
    I have looked at the links and found little detail on the process.
    Will let spooon do a review but we will also be doing some videos soon.

So... @ZAS... I might have a bit of a problem and I need some advice ( @Caffeine Fiend - do you have any ideas). How long is the cure time for this product before you can safely wash the car?

I finished my coating up at about 530pm yesterday and had my car in for a service today and they decided to wash it for me (I don't know why - it was the cleanest thing in the dealership!) at about 4:00pm so it's realistically had about 20 hours (overnight really at temps roughly around 14-24°C). I've got some water streaking on the paint which does rub off, I'll put that down to the muppet using the whatever towel he had on hand to dry it. However, the intial slick feeling is gone - now I'm slightly worried because that slick feeling on regular Opti-coat normally stays around after the first wash.

Please don't tell me I have to polish it down and start again? I have about 8mL left over + a sealed one so I'm all good... but you have no idea the drama I went through to FINALLY detail my own car - took 3 attempts, a bonnet respray and dodging a hail storm to get it done (everyone else gets easy problem free details) if I have to start it AGAIN I will loose my shiz.
    Last edited by spooon; 20-10-2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: operator error

Nope forget the above lads... Its a start over. Whatever they used to wash it had water etched EVERYTHING... I'm not sure wtf happened but I got it under my lights and its pretty wrecked. Played around a bit and tired to clay it out. Nope.

Raging right now...

Somebody gonna get hurt real bad... Sorry to hear mate

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Nope forget the above lads... Its a start over. Whatever they used to wash it had water etched EVERYTHING... I'm not sure wtf happened but I got it under my lights and its pretty wrecked. Played around a bit and tired to clay it out. Nope.

Raging right now...
    I'm gutted for you. The coating can easily handle regular use and rain in that time, but to be man handled and abused the way they would have in that short time is a problem.

Just try to hand polish out the water marks. They should still come out easily being fresh, or just give it a light once over by machine, IPA wipe down again and re-coat.

The good thing about Gloss-Coat is that it can also be layered. So you don't need to worry about getting it all off. Just remove the damage and coat.

We have had requests before for hang tags to go on the rear view mirror that says please don't wash etc. Maybe we might get these made up for people.

Only one thing to do now...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1413837679383.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	16901

Default Optimum Gloss-Coat

I would love a set of those
    My dealership has notes on my car

*Do not use rattle gun on wheels. Hand loosen and tighten to torque spec

*Do not wash car

*Do not wash car

*Do not wash car

Thanks heaps @ZAS. I'll probably try and hand polish it out then if that doesn't work hit it with the machine. Whats worse is my drivers side headlight - I swear they used a hunk of steel wool on it.

Yeah... Pretty sure I left few people with PTSD. I wasn't rude but I wasn't a happy chappy.

Hope it works out mate. Not the best outcome but I guess the guys at the service was just trying to provide a service above the other dealers albeit it may not be the best...

*note to my self - don't schedule a detail session prior to a service appt.

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    Hope it works out mate. Not the best outcome but I guess the guys at the service was just trying to provide a service above the other dealers albeit it may not be the best...

*note to my self - don't schedule a detail session prior to a service appt.
    Yeah their heart was in the right place and honestly they normally asked me and I say no... But the one time they don't they wash it. So I'm really the bum here for not making my intentions super clear.

It can be fixed though so its all good... Its just the 20+ hours I spent on it that I am crying into my coffee cup about :P

Really sorry to hear mate. Sounds like they stripped it before it had a chance to chemically cure

In answer to your previous question, Gloss-Coat, like 2.0 and Pro really needs a full week curing before you wash it. It can get wet within about six hours (rain etc), but it takes about a week to reach its full chemically resistant hardness and about a month to reach its full physical hardness.

if you have some Opt Car Wax I recommend putting some on over the top about 8-10 hrs after applying the Gloss-Coat. This will help give the Gloss-Coat a bit off added chemical protection while the coating is still weak. Unfortunately it still might not have stopped such a harsh chemical attack so soon after application though.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Thanks @Caffeine Fiend , Yeah I've resolved my self to starting over. I've spent a bit of time during the week hand polishing a few marks out and it seems to be helping clear it up. Hopefully it will all work out OK.

Good to know that you can stick OPT wax over the top so soon after though, I love that stuff it's so easy to use.