User Tag List

Thread: Will the paranoia ever end it it a TO bearing or is it a bent Rod?

Unhappy Will the paranoia ever end it it a TO bearing or is it a bent Rod?

Hi Folks, I have had a diagnosis from a local mechanic that confirms I have a that stretched timing chain, and while he's putting a quote together for me I have been doing more reading on MSF, in relation to a mild vibration through my clutch pedal, my nerves are shattered considering the prospect of a bent rod.
    I did ask the mechanic to be aware that the light knocking and ticking could also be associated with a bent rod, and could he check the piston heights when he had the top open to inspect the chain and VVT, I can't remember if he told me he did check piston heights or not, and I'm starting to get nervous about another incorrect or at least incomplete diagnosis. My car is still covered under the 3month QLD statutory warranty, but I maybe only have 7 weeks left on it and I don't want to be stuck with a blown motor.
    I just went to check on the clutch pedal vibration with the car from cold, and I have to say it's just not there, it only seems to be evident on a warmed up engine as is the knocking and ticking, although the chain noise at start up is there for 1-2 seconds from cold.
    My thoughts were to say F&*%k it and take it to my local MAZDA service center for a diagnosis, but from what others have said about the 20yr old tech on $22/hr while Madza charges you $150/h, and not exactly grasping the vibrating clutch/blown engine theory, I could pay for a diagnosis and still get told the wrong thing.
    The clutch vibration is only slight, but it is there when you take up the slack when you first press the pedal.
    Does the fact that it is not present when cold say it's not a bent rod?
    Last edited by studiovape; 07-10-2014 at 10:44 AM.

I too have been through this phase... You're not alone...

I have been told that a bent rod is a very noticeable vibration, and it pulsates... It's also there all the time...

What you're (likely) feeling is just engine vibrations/clutch chatter...

Do you have upgraded engine mounts?

@RedDjinn you had one semi recently... Agree with what I've said?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    I too have been through this phase... You're not alone...

I have been told that a bent rod is a very noticeable vibration, and it pulsates... It's also there all the time...

What you're (likely) feeling is just engine vibrations/clutch chatter...

Do you have upgraded engine mounts?
    Thanks Sam, I do FEEL alone in this town with THIS car.

The Car is AFAIK stock as a rock, so no engine mount upgrade.
    Car has 119,000ks

@RedDjinn you had one semi recently... Agree with what I've said?
    Yes. you really notice it when the clutch just engages and disengages, feel it through the clutch pedal

i feel ur pain man..but once your set i hope you get the rewards that you earn

Some on FB say a small amount of vibration is normal too, and I would surely. Price the bent rod symptom straight from cold, which I don't.
    I will instal the AP in the next day or so and bypass the tuning menu and go straight to monitor,to keep the standard map, do some highway runs and see if I have massive knock at WOT.

Not sure exactly how to do this but I'm told it's "EASY"
    Last edited by studiovape; 07-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Don't believe people on FB. Much better advice will be found here instead.

This will make you feel better.. There has been more ring and piston fails than rods of late :P

Don't stress too much buddy, if you're in Gympie Grand Prix Mazda should be able to help... they're not as silly as everyone thinks (hey they used to have a 3 MPS as a race car at the Aspley dealership).

If you start getting over thinking every knock, tinkle, rattle and burp then you'll drive yourself around the twist. Best to look at it methodically trying to rule out the most obvious (read: easy) potential problems first then move on to the more difficult ones.

Good luck

England15j's SP63 10.6:1 CR GTX3071 Build - Mazdaspeed Forums

he found it by pulsing clutch as well. Than compression test to confirm issue was real, piston ring lands fail.. Was running bigger power on stock block tho too
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 07-10-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Bent conrods don't just straighten themselves out and I would personally discribe pulsing clutch pedal as that rather then any other sensations your feet may feel. That's my experience directly with a bent conrod.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Bent conrods don't just straighten themselves out and I would personally discribe pulsing clutch pedal as that rather then any other sensations your feet may feel. That's my experience directly with a bent conrod.
    So are you saying if the vibration is not there from cold it can not be rods?
    "other sensations your feet may feel" meaning vibration is another sensation and not the same as pulsing?
    If only we were talking about sex toys

Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    So are you saying if the vibration is not there from cold it can not be rods?
    "other sensations your feet may feel" meaning vibration is another sensation and not the same as pulsing?
    If only we were talking about sex toys
    Constant level of mild vibration = fine
    I believe a bent rod feels like vibration levels go up and down and are very noticeable...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Constant level of mild vibration = fine
    I believe a bent rod feels like vibration levels go up and down and are very noticeable...
    Sent you a PM @SarcasticOne .

The possibilities are there for excessive crankshaft end float, worn clutch components and maybe failing dual mass flywheel. Unless it's all the time dont lose to to much sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    The possibilities are there for excessive crankshaft end float, worn clutch components and maybe failing dual mass flywheel. Unless it's all the time dont lose to to much sleep.
    Thanks mate, that sleep word... I remember that from when I had an accord as my daily drive