User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 - Whiteline rear swaybar clunk

1. Default MPS6 - Whiteline rear swaybar clunk

Hi guys,

Ive read all the other threads regarding whiteline sway bars and clunks and they have not answered my question.

I have just had the whiteline heavy duty swb installed in my car, normally i would do this myself but i just could not be f(8ked this time as i needed to do the rear diff mount as well, and had a lack of time.

Firstly the car handles heaps better, the rear feels heaps sharper around corners and the rear swaybar is set to the low or soft setting.

Now for the issue, when coming off boost or coming down from higher revs i hear a clunk from the rear of the car, now please bear in mind i have a bran new CP-E rear diff mount so i highly doubt that its the rear diff mount.

Would it possibly be one of the rear swaybar links? how do i test these for f**kedness?
    2007 MPS6 - Cobb AP (Tuned by RayD ~ 160KW / 331NM ATW)
    CP-E Engine & Diff Mount
    JBR Solid Shifter Bushings
    Whiteline Rear SwayBar
    Sold!

do you have the little locks that come with it ( Forgot what they are called)i think they stop is sliding around as much ...

3. Default

Nope never came with any locks, only the head light auto leveler bracket. I though the locks were for the 3 not the 6?

Swaybar endlinks ****ed?

You can kind of DIY test the endlinks by driving up a sharp incline (steep driveway etc) on an angle, so that one wheel is raised sharply before the other. This will put stress (twist) on the bar and you will hear a clunking if the links are buggered.

Are your sway bar links still the originals? If so, it's more than likely going to be that. The extra stress they're under with the bigger bar kills them in no time.

this is what im talkn about :

Whiteline Alloy Swaybar Lateral Lock KIT 21 22mm Sway BAR Universal | eBay

DIY (Do It Yourself) alloy lateral locking system can be utilized on both factory and more importantly aftermarket sway bars. The locks are easily installed on car with no need to remove the sway bar to install . They are mounted directly next to the sway bar mounting points and prevent shifting or sideways movement of the sway bar under lateral (cornering) loads. This results in improved sway bar effectiveness whilst preventing fouling of the sway bar on near by chassis and steering components.
    Mazda 6 MPS Velocity Red

CS REM +HDi FMIC+fmic water squirters + 3inch DP +Cat Back Exhaust + 3 inch TIP + Corksport airbox +Corksport MAF housing +K&N Pod +
    BNR S2 + cobb EBCS + 3 bar Map sensor +Cobb APv2 - custom tune
    Lenso dc6 wheels in gloss white + rear sway bar + TT diff mounts+ lowered on ISC coilovers

8. Default

I wonder of that's what it is.... Maybe it's moving left and right. Although it really only does it in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duno man lol chk it out

10. Default

Ok i chucked the car up on a jack and noticed a few things.

1) when fully jacked up (from the diff wheels hanging), the new Whiteline sway-bar touches the CP-E rear diff mount. However i placed some boards under one of the wheels and lowered the car down and checked to see if the sway-bar is still touching the CP-E rear diff mount while the car is on the ground and its not, there is about 1- 2 CM clearance, the swaybar and diff mount do not look like they have been "banging together" as there are only light touch marks from when the car is being lifted into the air.

2) Not sure if the sway bar is going side to side or if the grease was smeared at the time of install, could this be the bang i'm hearing? will those locking collars stop this?

3) I did have look at the sway-bar end links, however they all seemed pretty tight, im not sure if just giving them a wriggle is a very good test or not but thats all i did.

Sway-bar touching diff mount

Lowered down onto wooden blocks, so i could get under the car and see if the swaybar is still touching the diff mount.

Clearance of sway-bar from diff mount when lowered down onto blocks

Passenger side, sway-bar grease smear marks

Drivers side, sway-bar grease smear marks

Sorry if the pics are not clear was hard to get my shit iphone to focus under there
    Last edited by dropped; 10-10-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    CP-E Engine & Diff Mount
    Whiteline Rear SwayBar
    Sold!

11. Default

I have also noticed that the clunk happens after powering through a corner and then coming off the gas, which usually happens on a straight bit of road.

Ordering some of those whiteline clamps soon

thats your problem... coming OFF gas out of a corner ?? :P

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    thats your problem... coming OFF gas out of a corner ?? :P

Powering through a corner then coming off gas......
    CP-E Engine & Diff Mount
    Whiteline Rear SwayBar
    Sold!

yea exactly... never take your foot off of the firewall :P