User Tag List

Thread: 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata will rock 2.0L SkyActiv engine in US, 1.5L elsewhere

Default 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata will rock 2.0L SkyActiv engine in US, 1.5L elsewhere

Filed under: Convertible, Performance, Paris Motor Show, Mazda

Let the speculation finally end - we know what will power the next-generation 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata, and it's not turbocharged. The US model will get a SkyActiv 2.0-liter engine and six-speed manual, while models in the rest of the world have a 1.5-liter engine, confirming earlier rumors.

Unfortunately, Mazda isn't letting loose how much power either of these mills make just yet. For sake of comparison, the current SkyActiv 2.0 in the Mazda3 produces 155 horsepower and 150 pound-feet of torque, and the 1.5-liter in the UK (and elsewhere) has about 99 hp and 110 lb-ft of twist. However, the current Miata produces 167 hp and 140 lb-ft.

But fret not droptop fans. The company's brochure from the 2014 Paris Motor Show confirms, "all available drivetrains have been specially tuned for the all-new MX-5," which at least hints at the possibility of more performance. Also, even if the numbers remain untouched, the new Miata should feel even more sporting on the open road. That's because Mazda says the new model weighs in the neighborhood of 2,200 pounds; with that in mind, the 2016 car would boast around 14.19 pounds per horsepower versus 14.85 lb/hp in the present MX-5. Progress!

Mazda promises to end the anticipation and announce the actual outputs for these mills later.2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata will rock 2.0L SkyActiv engine in US, 1.5L elsewhere originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 01 Oct 2014 17:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Better have a hair dryer on the 1.5...

3. Default

It would be hard for me to imagine paying 30k for 100hp even if it does way 2200lbs.

What the %#&+ Mazda....

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjATCorkSport View Post
    It would be hard for me to imagine paying 30k for 100hp even if it does way 2200lbs.
    It'll be 40-50k here...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    It'll be 40-50k here...
    Yeeep. Its going to flop harder then a floppy thing if it is that price with a bloody 1.5...

Why the discrimination between the US and everyone else? I realise that those in the US are fatter and need extra power, but what if you just want more power?
    Mazda should offer the 2.0 here as well as the 1.5

Isn't it to do with required emissions of Europe vs USA vs everyone else? But in that case, why dont we get the larger (ie SkyActiv 2.0L) engine (we do in every other brand of car).

Wonder if it is the mysterious new 1.5 "extra power" engine from the future Mazda2 that's going into the MX-5? I hope not as it's still piddling poor compared to other 'sporty' cars.
    2015 Mazda2 - Indonesia Live 84kW 1.5L engine in Indonesia.
    2015 Mazda 2 Review | CarAdvice 75kw and 81kw 1.5L engines in Australia. The SkyActiv technology engines seem to have us all guessing!

unless...
    Step Inside The Ugliest Little 2016 Mazda Miata Mule In The World

this one has a turbo and is apparently 1.4-1.5L

And thank @&#£ for that... Hope this is true

I really can't believe that mazda won't sell the 2.0 here. Turbo or not, a 1.5 is way too weak sauce. Disappointed.

If I happen to find myself with that much coin kicking around with nothing doing that had to be spent on a new car, 86 all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    unless... Step Inside The Ugliest Little 2016 Mazda Miata Mule In The World this one has a turbo and is apparently 1.4-1.5L

This is cute:
    that big red button taped to the dash might be a start-stop button, but I like to think it's for space thrusters, or an ejector seat.
    I suppose if there is a SkyActiv engine, a SkyActiv MT engine, a SkyActiv-D engine there may as well be a SkyActiv Turbo engine. Getting confusing!

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    Why the discrimination between the US and everyone else? I realise that those in the US are fatter and need extra power, but what if you just want more power?
    Mazda should offer the 2.0 here as well as the 1.5

Not fat...
    Fluffy...
    Cheers,
    Brandon Johnson
    CorkSport Mazda Performance
    (360)260-2675 ext. 106
    BrandonJ@corksport.com

CorkSport.Com