User Tag List

Thread: NZ Newbie

1. Default NZ Newbie

Hey Guys,

Ants from Auckland, NZ here. I'm in the market for my first turbo car and the BK MPS fits the bill for me. I've checked one out at a car yard (the test drives alone have given me a broad smile ) and am quite keen on it but need some advice from other Axela/3 owners - the vehicle in question is a low k's 2007 BK Axela MPS imported from Japan and from the external visual check I've done it looks good but found rust:

One of the roof rack mounting points
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	16857

And how the rest look

Name:	photo 2 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	183 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	16858

The hatch's right gas strut bolt

Name:	photo 3 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	16859

And the left side

Name:	photo 4 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	16860

The car has been sitting for months on the yard and everyone I've spoken to about it so far says stay clear - and I can't find much to suggest this is a common issue, I'm keen to throw an offer (subject to a pre purchase inspection) and have them carry out repairs but not sure if it's worth the effort. Could the rust represent bigger issues to come?

Thanks in advance!

if other people are saying stay clear.. probably your best bet!

look for another MPS ..

3. Default

Wonder what the bottom of the car of the top is rusted

If there is rust there and it's been sitting for a while I would hate to see the condition of underneath/ engine. Take your time when looking to by one, look a heaps of them and you will know doubt realize which ones have been looked after. Also it's better to spend a bit extra to get a better car, you will be thankful in the long run for doing this trust me!

If I were you, I would try to get my hands on the NZ New Version which is the Mazda 3 MPS rather than the Jap import Axela MPS. The NZ new ones have some upgraded options like more airbags I believe, cruise control ect.. I find that cars imported from certain parts of Japan tend to have more rust than others. Never had an issue with nz new cars.

i agree...spend the extra monies and get newzealand new. got lucky with mine 15k for the mps 6 variant.. money well spent

If there is rust seen...there's more usually unseen. I think the main reason is that Japanese cars are exposed to salt due to their snow covered winters. If you choose to buy this example, make sure you check every surface and make sure all painted areas have no blisters on them (that means rust underneath). I have known some people who take cars like these as a challenge. To each their own.... Good luck

8. Default

Thanks guys, look like I'll pass this one up in favour of a better example, hopefully one will come soon!

@incubus where abouts are you based?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    @incubus where abouts are you based?
    Auckland, on the North Shore. Why's that?

just wondering..theres a few of us around the auckland area, im up in silverdale..
    so far the nzder group has only met up once....think its time for another

found this one on auto trader its the 6 variant but being sold thru a ford/mazda dealer you will get some good warantys with it
    Mazda Mazda6 Sedan MPS 2.3 TURBO 4WD 6SPD MANUAL Highlight Silver 2005 for Sale - Autotrader New Zealand

found this one on auto trader its the 6 variant but being sold thru a ford/mazda dealer you will get some good warantys with it
    Mazda Mazda6 Sedan MPS 2.3 TURBO 4WD 6SPD MANUAL Highlight Silver 2005 for Sale - Autotrader New Zealand
    Good pick @kiwi, Silver 6 mps's are sexy
    2006 MPS6 Gray - BNR S3 V2, 2XS turbo manifold, CPE 3” catted down pipe, Magna Flow cat back, HTP 3” TIP, HTP 3” MAF, HDI FMIC, Turbo smart BPV, 3 bar MAP, 3 port cobb boost solenoid, Auto Tech fuel pump, CPE injector seals, EGR delete (second and primary), VTCS delete, JBR Thermal Gasket Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, V3 Access Port.

98RON 260kw - 490Nm RayTuned

14. Default

Looks good but set on getting a 3/Axela, thanks anyway Kiwi

15. Default

Speaking of which, can someone explain to me the difference between the 2006-2007 and the 2008-2009 MPS? So far I see it's the darker interior and possibly a reworked rear motor mount on the later models due to a safety recall?

16. Default

So bit of an update, every axela/3 I've come across have been out of my price range or not appeared worth it.

A couple weeks ago, I spotted a Mazdaspeed Atenza in a car yard and thought I'd pop in for a look. Turns out I'm partial to it and having taken it for a test drive (and getting the tick from the missus) it looks to be a potential winner.

It's red, done 122kms and priced quite attractively with a warranty to boot, but I'm after someone for a pre purchase inspection before I commit - can anyone recommend a mechanic on the North Shore who knows a thing about these cars or am I good getting the AA for the job?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey dude how did you get on with buying a MPS? I'm also on the North Shore if you need a hand with anything.

AA prevehicle inspection for roughly $300...they do a pretty good job. and the report goes to the buyer not the seller, which in my case was good

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by juzdvs View Post
    Hey dude how did you get on with buying a MPS? I'm also on the North Shore if you need a hand with anything.
    In the end I gave it a miss, mostly because I wasn't in a position to after relooking at the finances (was a touch optimistic), otherwise I would've definitely gotten it. If I have a look at another one I'll definitely keep you in mind

AA prevehicle inspection for roughly $300...they do a pretty good job. and the report goes to the buyer not the seller, which in my case was good
    Cheers for that, I did a bit of searching and went with Carl from Incar Automotive, did a very thorough inspection for $165 and sent me the report

20. Default

Hey guys, after a bit of a break I've finally picked one up, here's my 09 Mazdaspeed Axela . Got it this week and taken it out for a couple of runs and it's a bunch of fun!

Looking forward to seeing what lies ahead for me and this car