User Tag List

Thread: My MPS6 now it's looking like VVT & Chain

Default My MPS6 now it's looking like VVT & Chain

Hi Folk those who have followed my other two posts will be glad to know the loud loud rattle is gone, caused by the aircon bearing having broken up (and this has been fixed), but unfortunately I can now hear the engine properly and suspect the engine has other problems noise wise that were cloaked by the Ac bearing noise.
    I was on the net listening to other's recorded sounds to get an idea of what I was looking at, this : Mazda 6 MPS noise on startup (vvt ???) - YouTube is very similar although mine is a tad more muffled, the sound is really evident inside the cabin at 700-1600RPM just like the linked video, and there is a faint inconstant clicking/tapping coming from the left of the engine where the chain run is.
    I know about the injector's ticking sound and this is separate.
    My issue it that although I am still well within the three month statutory warranty from the dealer, He has just paid for the ac bearing job at $400 and I'm not sure what he will say when I call him about this.
    Also I am a little concerned about getting the diagnosis and resulting work from another local mechanic.
    I don't want anyone destoying my engine trying to repair this, and will they be up on engine MPS sounds enough to call it?

Open up the oil cap ( with the motor warm but turned off) and check how much slack on the chain.

@MPS2NV might chime in, he's the guru that replaced mine

If you haven't already seen this here it is...

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...placement.html

Yeah MPS2NV. I have read that whole thread and looked at the pics. I will do the through the oil cap check tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's going to have to be done. I have been saving all the/your links about doing the job to give to the mechanic lol, not sure how impressed he'll be being told how to do his job, but better that than him starting without a clue. I'm not sure I can get down to Newcastle
    Where is the best/cheapest place to get the parts kit? I've had a look at Edge, but presumably it's a fair wait for postage from the USA. Anywhere closer with a good price? I think they were $517AU before shipping fro the US.
    Last edited by studiovape; 28-09-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Pm me and I will give you a fitted quote

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Thanks for the quote mate.
    I spoke to the dealer today, and he wants me to get a local quote after a full diagnosis.
    He want's to know whether it's VVT of chain or both, obviously so he can pay the least to solve the problem, whatever the case, depending on my financial position I may add funds to the repair to get the lot done if it turns out to be only one part or the other.
    I so wish you were in Gympie, but I imagine I could only make use of your services if it was my own money being spent, and it does appear that the dealer is prepared to honor the repair, particularly as I was told his mechanic had checked the timing chain and that would not be a problem for me, but the aircon bearing was making so much noise it was hard to tell what other issues it might have, at least that is now fixed, and clears to way for other clearer diagnoses.
    The mechanic I have chosen to do the diagnostic is the one who diagnosed the aircon bearing in 10mins flat, and he inspires so much more confidence than the one who needlessly changed my alternator overrun pulley at a cost of $670. I have forwarded him the Edgesport VVT & Chain kit link and a link to the
    excellent http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/engin...placement.html thread, and he is going to research it all before he opens the rocker cover on Wednesday afternoon.
    So I am a little less stressed today after biting the bullet and speaking the the dealer and the new mechanic.
    hopefully a happy ending is in sight for me and my MPS6.
    And to 70DDD, I hope you appreciate how much trouble I'm going to just to make sure you keep your much loved MPS6 exactly where it is supposed to be,
    with you, try not to accidentally sell it again
    Last edited by studiovape; 29-09-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Timing Chain and VVT fitted, knocking and rattling gone.
    Still some vibrations,
    For those who have replaced stuffed driver side engine mount, were there any visible signs looking from the top, or was it just oil leakage from below, and what were the symptoms with this mount in a bad way?
    when I had my timing chain done the mechanic said there was oil under the mount, but it looks fine from above, almost new looking.