User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice sought on my 6MPS upgrades

1. Default Advice sought on my 6MPS upgrades

So what I have planned is a basic upgrade. Currently stock, I am chasing more ‘snap’ from the turbo, and wanting to realise what I see as the cars true potential. Who wants to be stock - even in an awesome car ? Essentially, my plan is to do a stage 2 OTS tune via Cobb AP, so in order to meet the requirements :

Step 1 : Corksport Down Pipe c/w Racepipe with highflow cat. $1000 inc postage from Corksport US.
    Corksport Stage 2 SRI $350 inc postage from Corksport US.

Step 2 : Cobb V3 Accessport and HPFP internals $1040 inc postage from Cobb US

Step 3 : Not committed to going any further, but may end up at:
    Corksport TMIC $660 inc postage from CS.
    And then possibly cat back exhaust? ($1100 inc postage from Corksport for eg)

Step 4 : If I do go Step 3 I think it may be worth chasing an e-tune, not sure where to get this, or what it’s going to cost?

I have done my research, and this is where I have ended up. I am open to suggestions/advice - particularly if I can source an equivalent down pipe/race pipe locally - $350 shipping from US and it still looks to be my best option.

Cheers

Right, well given what you want to do with your DP and SRI, i would recommend a TIP (Turbo inlet pipe) upgrade as well. The stage 2 kit from CorkSport should include this, but not sure if you're aware of it.

The stage 2 SRI+TIP, coupled with the DP and race pipe (and the internals + Cobb AP) is a really good setup, that should see you happy for a while. Looks like you have done your homework

I would recommend an eTune as opposed to an OTS map with that setup though.. @Rayd did mine recently and i am very happy with the results.

look at my sig to see myset up -similar start to yours
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

hey i have a metal TIP for sale $70

pretty sure is the cork sport one

looks identical to this one

http://www.corksport.com/corksport-power-series-turbo-inlet-pipe.html

thats mine exactly..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19_n.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	16843

Sounds like a plan to me!

The only suggestion I would have is to swap steps 1 and 2 around the other way. You're better off getting the HPFP and AP done first then move on to the rest, mainly just to give you that little bit of extra on the HPFP as a safety net before running a OTS map.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Sounds like a plan to me!

The only suggestion I would have is to swap steps 1 and 2 around the other way. You're better off getting the HPFP and AP done first then move on to the rest, mainly just to give you that little bit of extra on the HPFP as a safety net before running a OTS map.
    Certainly won't be changing the map without up-rating the fuel pump. I can do the pipework and keep the stock tune though can't I ?

as long as MAF housing is close to stock size i heard its OK

I think there has been lots of reported cases of zoom zoom boom when people have upgraded the dp without having done the fp internals first, so as spooon said would swap steps 1 and 2.

Also, good luck with just stopping at the above lol :P

yea AP before DP.. its alphabeticals :P

Quote Originally Posted by FletchQLD View Post
    Certainly won't be changing the map without up-rating the fuel pump. I can do the pipework and keep the stock tune though can't I ?
    There is a slight chance you can Max out the fuel pump with a DP even on the base map. I wouldn't be super worried though, if you want a cheap way of monitoring the HPFP pressure grab a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and Torque for android with the Mazda plug in. Should cost you about $50ish all up and you get a snazzy option to run gauges off your phone/tablet

11. Default

Alrighty, fuel pump and ap - then dp.

It works well that way, as I get longer to shop around for the dp ...

Have a look at my CX7 thread. I have big gains with intake and intercooler and base map etune with the stock MPS turbo. Some minor exhaust work to come followed by a full tune. The stock downpipe flows quite well and an upgrade is not really required with the stock turbo.

There are a number of options for an tune. I went with Stratified. Their blog has a page on the upgrade path for our DISI motors.

Also check out the JBR wide path intakes like I used. They are one piece silicone TIP and SRI.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Default Advice sought on my 6MPS upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    I would recommend an eTune as opposed to an OTS map with that setup though.. @Rayd did mine recently and i am very happy with the results.
    +1 to this. I'm just getting one from @Rayd now. A fair bit more powerful than the OTS2, and much nicer to drive. Plus you get to pick and choose what's important to you, rather than what COBB chose.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

14. Default

An update :

I have made some progress, basically going to plan, next step is the DP and will then be looking to eTune.

I installed the FP internals cobb SRi and TIP, and currently running OTS map via cobb accessport (stage1 with supported intake)
    the big thing I learnt here - breakdown packages to keep total price under $1000. Because it came in at $1200 for the order, I had to pay $260 duty on arrival! Should have placed 2 seperate orders!

Nice gains, quite a linear power curve.

What I am really chasing is access to 16psi and a nice bit of turbo 'snap'

DP is the next move. I will be installing it myself and I am looking at corksport DP with High Flow cat and racepipe. $988 inc postage. Nicely under $1k so will avoid paying duty.

I am just about to order this one - unless anyone has recomendations I go elsewhere ?

thanks.
    Last edited by FletchQLD; 18-10-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Only bad for BT upgrades... The iwg doesn't always play nice with the cork sport dp

If you want to buy Aussie, talk to @2XS, he makes a pretty tidy DP.

To be honest though unless you're going to run a BT in the future, have a think about running a race pipe (I.e. remove the 2nd cat) and have a fiddle with an etune. The gains are comparable but the cost is a lot less.

I've been looking into this myself in conjunction with my existing mods and installing meth injection via one of those sexy spacer plates. I'm not expecting super mega numbers... But just enough so that I don't get smoked by my mates V70R :P

17. Default

Well - that's a new angle - Can I run stage 2 maps (16psi) if I run racepipe with high flow cat and skip the DP upgrade?
    I have no plans to upgrade the turbo, not chasing huge numbers, I just want more boost.

Will possibly go to an aftermarket TMIC but that will be it for me. Famous last words I know

So if a DP is not necessary to round off this project, I'd do well to avoid it as it's both expensive and painful to install.
    Last edited by FletchQLD; 18-10-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Just run a catless test/race pipe...
    90-95% of the gains from going full dp with single cat, 80% less effort...

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Just run a catless test/race pipe...
    90-95% of the gains from going full dp with single cat, 80% less effort...
    Sounds like the go!

Worried about CELs and Defectification from the boys in blue ?

Quote Originally Posted by FletchQLD View Post
    Sounds like the go!

Worried about CELs and Defectification from the boys in blue ?
    No cels as both o2 sensors are on the top half, the race pipe is after both...

Boys in blue may give grief... But you'd be really unlucky... 10-15 minute to swap back to stock
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast