User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice sought on my 6MPS upgrades

Boost leak tester is easy to make. If you have an air pump, you just need your TMIC hot pipe, an ebay/auto store valve stem, and a bunnings PVC end cap. Hook that to the intercooler, pressurise to 20psi and you will find anything that is leaking post-turbo (i.e. loosing pressure) without pressurising the crank case (soapy water is awesome for finding pinhole or gasket leaks).

Also check all of the EBCS hoses to make sure that there is nothing loose/broken nipples or what-not (this was the first thing my tuner asked me to check when my car wasn't holding enough boost).
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

And if you do pressurise your crank case and have air coming back out your top PCV hose it will most likely be the $10 plastic PCV valve on the crankcase. This shouldn't be a problem below 20psi unless the valve is broken.

3. Default

I have compressor and connection for that - What size pvc end cap do I need?

As I understand it, I need 2 x caps - 1 with a valve in and one that seals it at the other end.
    Not sure where to attach - is it the end with the valve at the cold side of the IC (or do I leave the IC out of the loop)
    and the cap goes on the hose that connects to the turbo ?
    Last edited by FletchQLD; 17-11-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Only need one cap. Use it to seal the rubber IC hot pipe (i.e. Where the turbo usually attaches).

So it goes, (backwards) manifold>throttle body>cold pipe>TMIC>hot pipe>end cap. Whack a valve stem in the end cap and you are good.

That way you are pumping air in at the same place at which the turbo usually does, and it will pressurise all the way to the manifold. It will then show up any leaks which would cause you to loose boost pressure. Places to check are: all of the hose clamps, BPV gasket and the return hose to the intake, CC breather hose to the intake, OCC (if you have one), the gasket between the IC and the metal cold pipe, and any weld seams on the IC.

I can measure mine in a few days or you can just measure the existing pipe (would be like 2" or there abouts) and subtract a few mm (so it fits inside).

It's actually much more simple that all that seems. Ha ha
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Also don't be surprised if you get some leak down through the manifold/valves/piston gaps. When I tried boost leak testing I used a compressor and sprayed a soapy water mixture on all the connections while holding pressure. In other words I couldn't get the system to hold a static pressure, but I was pressurising from the MAF sensor right through the PCV system etc.

6. Default

Okay, thanks very much, that totally puts it straight in my head. Cheers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416391667.078066.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	16993
    FYI here is mine, if it helps. It's a 40mm end cap to fit the stock hose. Assume it's the same as the 6.

8. Default

40mm, sweet, thanks. Any pics with it attached?

I am suffering a little noob confusion due to an overdose of information. Looking at boost leak testing on MPS's with different setups, and worse, other cars etc. Also, people connecting a pump behind the MAF at the TIP, or even in front of the maf - but there is no pressure this side of the turbo ?? - granted you don't want unmetered air getting sucked in but stilll...

So, I want to remove the (hot pipe) hose that goes from turbo to TMIC (correct?) - what size is the pipe on the IC - looks about 3" ?
    Last edited by FletchQLD; 20-11-2014 at 08:49 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123