User Tag List

Thread: Alternator overrun pulley Hell, Please help

Unhappy Alternator overrun pulley Hell, Please help

I have an issue with my local mechanic and my alternator pulley wheel. when i bought my car it was with knowledge i would have to replace my alternator overrun pulley wheel due to the clutch inside being worn and making a metallic noise. I was told by the dealer that this was a common issue and many had replaced the overrun pulley with a plain pulley and this stop the problem reoccurring. So I purchased a plain pulley wheel from an auto electrician on the advice from the dealer. I then booked it in to my local mechanic to have it changed over. This is where it all starts going to SH*T. The mechanic is complaining how hard it is to get to the alternator and would not quote me for the hours it would take to change, but said he would have a go. now he is saying the old pulley wheel's seized on there and think it's a left hand thread, and the plain pulley is larger in diameter, and i will need a new serpentine belt, and a reverse thread bolt to hold on the plain pulley wheel. I did ask him to source an original overrun pulley wheel, but I was quoted around $450 and 6-8 weeks wait. The mechanic has now had the car since Wed and says i will not get it back til next week, I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get it back, such a small problem is turning into a nightmare. Has anyone had any experience with the alternator pulley wheel, know where i can source the over run pulley wheel sooner/cheaper. All help and advice very much appreciated.

@mps2nv?

Get the right pulley, the altinator is in an arse of a spot but that's never going to change. Make sure it's not a timing train fault also. Over run pulleys are a good thing so don't get rid of it.

Should I get this if I can't get the overrun pulley?
    Leaving Facebook...

Just to update anyone who cares
    there was nothing wrong with my overrun pulley and I have just had to pay $670 to the mechanic to get my car back.
    He charged me for 5 1/2hrs labor plus a $200 for the new pulley. what a f/*&^ing joke.
    after leaving there I went to another mechanic who diagnosed the problem for free in ten mins flat, up on the hoist belt off and "it's your aircon pulley bearing".
    it's booked in tomorrow $450 to get it fixed and regassed, and the dealer i bought the car from is paying the bill of $450 thank god.
    I have certainly learned who not to trust.
    As a lucky byproduct to this dragging nightmare my boost leak got inadvertently fixed by the first mechanic, as he actually tightened some clamps when reattaching the intercooler.
    So all being well I will have a fixed quiet drivable car by sundown tomorrow.