User Tag List

Thread: My New MPS 6 Seems sick already :( Warrany Fix?)

Unhappy My New MPS 6 Seems sick already :( Warrany Fix?)

Hi Folks thanks for reading, I'll try to keep it concise.
    My newly purchased MPS6 is going into a local (and highly respected) mechanic today to have the alternator pulley wheel changed as the clutch in it is making a terrible racket. This problem was picked up in inspection, but I was discounted $500 off the purchase price to fix it when I got to my home town, and was given a 12 Month warranty from the dealer (third party warranty not Mazda Dealer, just Brissie car yard).
    While waiting for the appointment at the local mechanic I have driven the car a little and had been very happy with it's performance power wise, but on Monday, when I put my foot down to show a friend the "slam" into the seat as we accelerated, my heart sank as I noticed a significant reduction in "slam" effect.
    I am still getting to know the car, but it just seems flat compared to a few days earlier, and I'm starting to get the heebie jeebies about what could be wrong and how to go about fixing it under warranty.
    I have read some posts about possible causes, leaking boost, failing fuel pump,turbo solenoid,turbo itself, maf sensor fail etc. etc. , but it's all really overwhelming and very upsetting.
    I have no smoke from the turbo, but anything else is very hard to assess with the noise from the alternator pulley clutch, which will be fixed today.
    My main question is this, how do I go about diagnosing the problem and getting it fixed under this warranty, as I said I have this 12 month third party warranty, and 10weeks left on the statutory 3 Months.
    Do I just take it to my local Mazda dealer service dept, or my local "speed shop" that mainly works on high performance Holdens, or do I do something else.
    Will the warranty even cover the repair if the car still drives? Will the car go ZooM ZooM BOOM if it doesn't get fixed?
    And no, I don't have an AP otherwise I would be looking into diagnosing it myself. I am in Gympie QLD, and these are times I wish I was in a larger metro area for resources.
    I was considering buying an AP, but not to fix my own car that is under warranty, but to do a light tune to improve the current ECU map, and at $700 I feel I should hold off til I find out whether the car will ever be fit for a tune.
    Any help or advise will be gratefully received, so thanks in advance
    P.S YES, I LOVE MY NEW MPS6
    Last edited by studiovape; 17-09-2014 at 10:32 AM.

Sounds like lack of boost, but i'd get onto the car yard first to let them know you have a problem.
    Cheers Todd

best thing to do would be get a cobb ap v2 and get some logs... thats my next buy also..

You can get a Bluetooth OBD2 sender and the torque app for under $50 on eBay and do logs

Default My New MPS 6 Seems sick already :( Warrany Fix?)

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    You can get a Bluetooth OBD2 sender and the torque app for under $50 on eBay and do logs
    I have a spare sender which I will list for sale if you are interested. The LX senders are $70US plus postage if I remember right. Torque App is like $5 but you need an Android device to use it.
    Last edited by ozynigma; 17-09-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Quote Originally Posted by 70DDD View Post
    Sounds like lack of boost, but i'd get onto the car yard first to let them know you have a problem.
    Cheers Todd
    You might have developed a boost leak from all the spirited driving your car has been experiencing. You might be finding its weak spots.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Thanks for your feedback folks.
    Ok the OBD2 sender is like AP, but without the running a reflash abilities.
    I don't have an android only an iPhone
    And if it's a boost leak is that possible to spot or locate and can it be expensive to fix?
    Where are the likely leakage points?

Go round the engine bay and inspect/tighten each air related clamp. Make sure the maf connector is on properly and all coil pack plugs are on tight. Following that I would check all vacuum lines around the bpv and the boost control solenoid. This is located on the passenger side of the turbo and vacuum lines between this and the turbo inlet pipe (TIP) are a semi common culprit to issues

Dashboss for iPhone is an alternative monitoring app.

Hey man,

From what @1CMS1 for checking for leaks assuming your engine bay is stock i found some forums to help you with your way around the engine bay to know what your looking at.

Fuel pump install, this isnt in a 6 but shows a good tear down of the engine bay intake side which is close to ours.

Broken Nipple, could be an issue. That line off that nipple goes to your EBCS which you should check the hoses there to, as well as on the turbo.

Oil bango, This is also not a 6 but shows good tear down with a TMIC taken off.

Those threads have basically got all the clamps and thing in them that could be checked as a precaution.

Just as a general read. I hope that helps man and isnt too basic.

Failing that data looging of some sort helps alot. If you want a tune in the future (as you plan on moding) I'd recommend saving money and getting a second hand AP v2 or a new V3 is you can afford it. E-tuning is good price and easy.
    2006 MPS6 Gray - BNR S3 V2, 2XS turbo manifold, CPE 3” catted down pipe, Magna Flow cat back, HTP 3” TIP, HTP 3” MAF, HDI FMIC, Turbo smart BPV, 3 bar MAP, 3 port cobb boost solenoid, Auto Tech fuel pump, CPE injector seals, EGR delete (second and primary), VTCS delete, JBR Thermal Gasket Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, V3 Access Port.

98RON 260kw - 490Nm RayTuned

Just checking what fuel you are filling up with. These motors like 98RON.

98 All the way, all the time.

Soooo did you check the engine bay for the issue?

No havnt' checked for leaks yet, because the car is still with the mechanic fitting the alternator pulley wheel.
    He says I should have it back by the weekend......
    I hav just bought an AP V3 and should have that early next week.
    Thankyou for your previous post. I will update when I have news

Just to update anyone who cares
    there was nothing wrong with my overrun pulley and I have just had to pay $670 to the mechanic to get my car back.
    He charged me for 5 1/2hrs labor plus a $200 for the new pulley. what a f/*&^ing joke.
    after leaving there I went to another mechanic who diagnosed the problem for free in ten mins flat, up on the hoist belt off and "it's your aircon pulley bearing".
    it's booked in tomorrow $450 to get it fixed and regassed, and the dealer i bought the car from is paying the bill of $450 thank god.
    I have certainly learned who not to trust.
    As a lucky byproduct to this dragging nightmare my boost leak got inadvertently fixed by the first mechanic, as he actually tightened some clamps when reattaching the intercooler.
    So all being well I will have a fixed quiet drivable car by sundown tomorrow.

Glad to hear you are learning who to trust.