User Tag List

Thread: MPS6 Fuel Consumption

1. Unhappy MPS6 Fuel Consumption

Hey guys,

Just a general question, how many km's do you guys get with your MPS's?
    I bought mine from a dealer, it appears to be stock as a rock. With a full tank I get around 370-380km. At first I thought that I might be a bit heavy footed, so this week I decided to nanny drive it and got 374km and 1km remaining on the display...but when I filled up only 53L of fuel went in....I'm confused

Could it be that it was tuned with other bits and peaces on it previously and then they swapped it out with stock parts and sold it?

I pull about 500-550km on the highway and about 400km a tank. They definately dont like urban driving... that and my right foot :P

Take it on a road trip, mine seems to love road trips.

It would be pretty easy to tell if it's been taken back to stock - look for any signs of wear around nuts/bolts on the intake and exhaust. The tune would be a dead give away though, if it was tuned and stock parts fitted back up it would run pretty rough.

Check out one of the 35875357* threads on fuel economy here.

And then remember, its hard to compare one with another as we all have different driving styles, drive different roads, different conditions etc etc.
    Many variables.
    Also, take what the computer says with a grain of salt.
    I don't think i've ever seen a car run out of fuel the moment the computer says 0km to go.
    Its really more of a scare tactic, and a warning that running the car that low in fuel can cause harm

*figure may have been a slight exaggeration
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Pretty sure mine has never been that bad, might be worth some investigation

always get around 470 before yellow light comes on.. id say 520 total

6. Default

I was having some issues with fuel economy and started a similar thread previously.
    At the moment i have an MPS6 with a cobb AP and a SRI/TIP which combined have improved my economy compared to stock.
    I am also playing around with leaning the AFR's as per the "MPG tooning" thread on MSF which has made a difference.

As others have said, it really depends on several factors but i found (all with 98 RON BP Ultimate):
    Stock
    - City driving in stop start traffic in hilly areas (pretty bad combination) ~14L/100k
    - Never really paid attention to highway mileage as i didnt have much

Currently ("leanish" tune + intake)
    - Same hilly stop start city driving ~ 11.5 L/100k (though i can get it to about 10.5 if I hypermile)
    - Highway driving 7.5 to 8 L/100k

If you are trying to investigate potential fuel consumption issues i would suggest the following (from experience):
    - Use the same fuel from the same petrol station (you would be surprised but results can consistently vary, especially when comparing different brands of "equivalent" fuels)
    - Make sure your tyres are all inflated correctly (this WILL make a difference if you are a few psi out)
    - clean your MAF sensor for good measure (refer one of the many threads)
    - Monitor you average consumption for a particular common trip for reference (e.g. morning commute)
    Last edited by discodave; 16-09-2014 at 09:11 PM.

7. Default

Before my @Rayd tune 500 - 550 on long trips.. after i get 650k easy!
    Last edited by dropped; 19-09-2014 at 07:25 AM.

8. Default

Dame!!! RayD tune really gets the MPS that much better @ fuel consumption?

guess i'll be puting the tune on my list

Quote Originally Posted by RayboyGTR View Post
    Dame!!! RayD tune really gets the MPS that much better @ fuel consumption?

guess i'll be puting the tune on my list
    Pretty much any tune can increase fuel consumption... The stock tune goes rich very quickly...

But you may find you go full throttle more often due to extra power

I've got a freek tune, and am rather impressed by my fuel economy just pottering around town

Main difference to me is the smoothness and way power comes on, it allows easier throttle inputs so you don't have to really put foot down to get moving
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

10. Default

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Pretty much any tune can increase fuel consumption... The stock tune goes rich very quickly...

But you may find you go full throttle more often due to extra power

I've got a freek tune, and am rather impressed by my fuel economy just pottering around town

Main difference to me is the smoothness and way power comes on, it allows easier throttle inputs so you don't have to really put foot down to get moving

Correct your right foot does get a work out when you get more power haha
    2007 MPS6 - Cobb AP (Tuned by RayD ~ 160KW / 331NM ATW)
    CP-E Engine & Diff Mount
    JBR Solid Shifter Bushings
    Whiteline Rear SwayBar
    Sold!

i changed from stock to stage 1 TIH + MAF HOUSING + pod filter ( sucking hot engine air for now ) and my consumption is at 11.7 / 100 km .. was at 12.5ish at stock tune
    im guessing when i get some colder air to the pod i should get a slightly better figure..