User Tag List

Thread: Replacement Turbo (due to smoke)

Default Replacement Turbo (due to smoke)

Hi All,

Just dropped my 2008 Mazda 3 MPS in at Tom Kerr in West Ryde as I only recently started to get the smoke issue at idle. It has been confirmed that there is the issue with the turbo seals and Mazda want $3500 for the job to replace with OEM parts......no chance! and they wouldn't replace under warranty due to the age of the car (worth a shot).

I called up Tunehouse to ask if they can come up with some options for replacement and costs. Just to note I do not want a bigger turbo, and simply want to replace the turbo and reduce my costs where possible (hopefully not have to get a re-tune done).

Hoping you guys could come up with some suggestions around what I should do and not have to fork out too much $$ to get this fixed.

Would it be as easy to order one of THESE from eBay, $450 delivered from West Ryde and have MRT or Tunehouse perform the labor to install?

Thanks in advance for the assistance I have read through several posts already on this issue however need to tailor this post to my car.

Current mods:
    CPE Engine Mount
    CPE Dump Pipe (stock cat back)
    COBB inlet pipe
    CPE CAI
    ECUTEK tune done by MRT in Rhodes

I'll bite before @SarcasticOne does :P

Have a look at BNR supercars' S1 replacement. Its basically a higher flowing k04 turbo that's a little more robust. You get all of the same characteristics with none of the crap seals (Sorry on my phone so can't link).

To be honest from the parts you've listed, once you've fixed your turbo you should look into a HPFP and an AcessPort v3 and a etune. You've got the makings of a pretty tody package there but you're about half way from unlocking some pretty decent and reliable power there.

Edit: also not many fans of MRT around here just quietly :/
    Last edited by spooon; 02-09-2014 at 12:13 AM.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17697

Big discussion there on the topic... Many of the potential options for a smoke free turbo... End of the day, all comes down to budget and effort...

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    I'll bite before @SarcasticOne does :P

Have a look at BNR supercars' S1 replacement. Its basically a higher flowing k04 turbo that's a little more robust. You get all of the same characteristics with none of the crap seals (Sorry on my phone so can't link).

To be honest from the parts you've listed, once you've fixed your turbo you should look into a HPFP and an AcessPort v3 and a etune. You've got the makings of a pretty tody package there but you're about half way from unlocking some pretty decent and reliable power there.

Edit: also not many fans of MRT around here just quietly :/
    Pfffft, stop being silly, it's well known Brett is the only person in the world who can tune a mps and not run into hpfp issues (sarcasm)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Don't touch non genuine turbos off eBay. If they break and destroy your motor you have no warranty. And they do break. I just sold a used genuine OEM CX7 turbo (for their CX7 not MPS) to someone to replace their broken eBay special. I second BNR S1 for a more reliable replacement backed by a reputable company.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Any links to suppliers of the BNR S1?

Edit: If you look at one of my past posts the title is 'MRT - Terrible Customer Service' .. I've been there unfortunately.

You can only buy BNR turbos from them directly (google bnrsupercars)

It might be worth having a leakdown test done as well, I incorrectly had my smoke issue diagnosed as a turbo problem when it turned out to be worn pistons/rings.

Guys, you can also get them from here

BNR

Apparently these guys will discount these prices so ask them for their best price. They are a MazdaSpeed Forum sponsor so it wouldn't hurt to contact them through MSF.

Edit, these might already be the discounted BNR prices, I can't remember what the direct from BNR retail prices are.

And another 10% if you buy before close of business in the US today.

LABOR DAY SALE! – 10% off most brands! - Mazdaspeed Forums