User Tag List

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza!

Default Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza!

Ok so my mis-diagnosed smokey turbo has now turned into an engine rebuild. Oil was puking into my air intake via the crank case breather thanks to excessive blow by, finally diagnosed via a leakdown test which in hindsight should have been done from the beginning. A Turbo replacement later we find 3/4 Cylinders are screwed, compression wasn't too bad but the leakage test had 50% leakage on the worst cylinder (#3). All of which were leaking down into the crank case.

Engine Leakdown results for those that are interested were:
    CYL1: 165PSI 5% LEAKDOWN
    CYL2: 150PSI 35% LEAKDOWN
    CYL3: 140PSI 50% LEAKDOWN
    CYL4: 150PSI 40% LEAKDOWN

Most of my questions have been answered in the last few weeks and now that things have started I might as well keep some kind of diary, I will put interesting pics and observations in this first post. Not a lot of people build an engine that hasn't turned a single revolution yet so this might be interesting to some. Particularly the fact that the new motor wasn't exactly perfectly assembled to begin with.

Build diary goes thusly:
    I ended up buying a brand new (2013) Long Block directly from Mazda:

And immediately started pulling it apart (Well, I didn't, Mitch is doing all the work)

During dis assembly Mitch noticed a couple of interesting things. Remember that this is a BRAND NEW ENGINE from Mazda, that has not turned a revolution in its life.

Firstly, the rear main seal was not seated properly. If we ran this engine it probably would have had an instant oil leak on day 1.

Secondly, the piston ring gaps had been perfectly aligned. This was consistent on all 4 pistons:

A 1 way ticket to excessive blow by and high oil use.

Which brings us to here, pulled apart, ready to be balanced and reassembled with forged Rods + Pistons. Hopefully it goes back together better than it did in the factory!

Pistons are CP-e Stage 2
    Rods are Manley H+
    Also have a set of CP-e Injector seals that will be going in.

I also bought a Quaife for good measure. I've wanted one for years and figured if I was going to pull the motor out I might as well put this in while i'm at it. This will be going in along with a new (NPC) Clutch

We have got our hands on a low mileage gearbox that we will put the quaife in and swap both engine + gearbox out in one go as a complete driveline.

Parts finally came back from the machinist last week. The Gearbag has been rebuilt with the Quaife fitted. Time for assembly combined with dickloads of measuring.

Finally commencing assembly!

More Assembly, timing etc.

Balance shaft clearance after cutting the ARP studs down

Aaaaand it's done!

Finished Product:

Out with the old:

Old motor decommissioned.

One troubling thing noticed on the old motor is oil getting past the injector seal on cylinder 2. This is a fairly high stress component being direct injected but I'd expect to see blow by gases here. Not oil.

Glad I am upgrading the injector seals in the new engine!

New one going in

All Done!

I'll be spending the next 1000k's driving it fairly conservatively, once that's done then I'll get it tuned properly and start really ripping in.

First impressions so far after a quick blat down the Old Pacific Highway:
    Engine Balancing is definitely worth doing. Low RPM vibes are way lower than the old motor
    Lightweight flywheel makes gear shifts WAY smoother and faster. Minimal impact on driveability in stop/start traffic
    Quaife LSD is pretty freaking cool, no understeer and locks into turns like nothing else. It's also a lot smoother at low speed maneuvering like turning into driveways, the old LSD was kinda snatchy when creeping up kerbs, this one is barely noticeable.

Can't wait to hit the track with this LSD and see how much of a difference it really makes.
    Last edited by Reedy; 02-01-2015 at 06:17 AM.

The sp63 pistons are the best, but long wait times...

Considering how you drive, lightweight (but strong) pistons and rods could be the best for you

Wiseco or cp pistons are the most readily available....

As for rods, carillo rods are the best, but Manley and k1's have certainly proven to be popular and strong... I know phate on MSF does auto-x in his 6... Might be worth looking into his build

The temptation to group buy these parts with you and address the problem I will inevitable have is so high right now...

My car has a lot more miles and track days than yours so I would suggest getting a health check and leakdown test performed so you can spot impending problems before they get to the point that mine did.

I'm about to order some engine internals for some other members from SP63, if your keen I can chuck your stuff in the order aswell .

When are you going to place the order? We don't know whether to get standard or slightly oversized pistons at this stage but am definitely interested if the price is right!

Port n polish? Exhaust mani? Maybe grab rayds mani he has for sale

Jump on board Reedy SP pistons have the best design imo. My motor is being pulled tomorrow

Problem is I don't know whether to get normal or oversize pistons. We won't know what to get until it's been pulled apart and damage has been assessed.

Hi Rayd- I will need some internals, just waiting for a list of parts needed from RedDjinn

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Problem is I don't know whether to get normal or oversize pistons. We won't know what to get until it's been pulled apart and damage has been assessed.
    Get a set of these in 90mm with pistons to suit. Motor will go to 2.4l I think.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/d...150775471.html

Also oil baffle in the sump might require removal of the balance shaft. Some manufacturers specify this.
    CX7 - The younger, taller and sexier replacement for the MPS6 and the first car designed around the MZR DISI
    2007 CX7 2.3 DISI AWD Ice Blue | HID's | ETS TMIC | Cobb XLE BOV | CX9 20" wheels | 245/50/20 Scorpion STR's | CS HPFP | CX9 Brakes | Pedders Sports Ryders -40mm | CS Turbo | JBR 3.5" WPI | Cooling Mist WMI |Versatune

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Im in the same boat, that's why im pulling mine quickly so I can measure the bores. Oversize isn't really recommended.

13. Default

Who's gonna be doing the build for you, also Edge were doing K1 rods cheap as since they had shit loads in stock.

Brand new Long Block from Mazda Australia is $7800. I can have one shipped up in 2 days.......

Install new engine, rebuild existing one then sell it? Or keep it as a spare...... It's not cheap but it certainly futureproofs things to have 2 engines available......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image003.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	16844
    Last edited by Reedy; 24-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.

$7800 that's crazy money.

Ask edge if they will ship the long blocks they sell here, could save a bit

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Ask edge if they will ship the long blocks they sell here, could save a bit
    I'd imagine it would literally be by ship, cause air freight for a block would almost cost as much as the donk itself!

True but if it saves a few thousand then deff worth it

Edge will ship bare blocks for $330, I tried a reco motor but their site says they can't be shipped to your location. Maybe try a special request, warranty might not be applicable outside of USA thou.

Yeah that's good to know!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast