User Tag List

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza!

Yep. It will be a good candidate for a rebuild.

Is the rocker cover for sale?

4. Default

Interesting how some say it's shit loads easier to pull half the front end off so turbo etc can be put on engine before put into car to save time..can Mitch pull it back out and try it with front end off and time it hehe.

Depends if you feel like hearing my professional reasons for doing different jobs different ways. Forums are full of impractical book technicians.

All Done!

I'll be spending the next 1000k's driving it fairly conservatively, once that's done then I'll get it tuned properly and start really ripping in.

First impressions so far after a quick blat down the Old Pacific Highway:
    Engine Balancing is definitely worth doing. Low RPM vibes are way lower than the old motor
    Lightweight flywheel makes gear shifts WAY smoother and faster. Minimal impact on driveability in stop/start traffic
    Quaife LSD is pretty freaking cool, no understeer and locks into turns like nothing else. It's also a lot smoother at low speed maneuvering like turning into driveways, the old LSD was kinda snatchy when creeping up kerbs, this one is barely noticeable.

Can't wait to hit the racetrack to see what kind of difference this LSD really makes!

So, I'm hearing all positives at the moment, any down sides?

The less noise sounds awesome...

The new gearbox makes a lot of noise, particularly when engine braking. That's kinda annoying. Not sure if it's a gearbox oil issue or it just needs some time to bed down. Monitoring that at the moment but apart from that it's all good so far. It's possible the extra smoothness from a balanced engine could be making the gearbox seem louder as there is less noise and vibration to hide the gearbox whine.
    Last edited by Reedy; 01-01-2015 at 10:18 PM.

OP Updated with all photos and comments i've made so far. go there for your 1 stop shop.

I've put 500km's on it so far, will do another 500 before changing the oil. I will head down to Tunehouse now that they have reopened and have a bit of a chat about tuning options. Wondering if I can get them to tune it and then disable the SWAS bullcrap with versatuner software if ECUTEK doesn't lock the ECU out. Failing that I might finally get myself and AP and just get an Etune. It would all be very simple if ECUTEK could disable SWAS but I don't know whether that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I've put 500km's on it so far, will do another 500 before changing the oil. I will head down to Tunehouse now that they have reopened and have a bit of a chat about tuning options. Wondering if I can get them to tune it and then disable the SWAS bullcrap with versatuner software if ECUTEK doesn't lock the ECU out. Failing that I might finally get myself and AP and just get an Etune. It would all be very simple if ECUTEK could disable SWAS but I don't know whether that's possible.
    AP doesn't have a swas disable option at the moment...

Edit: latest update from Cobb: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru....php?p=2766914

Apparently it's in the works...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 05-01-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Just went down for a chat, SWAS and all other boost limitations were removed the first time the car was tuned. Booked in for the 19th of Jan.

POWEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

That's good to know that ECUtek has already got boost restrictions disabled.

Now it gets interesting!

Interesting...
    Do you "feel" SWAS? Seem to remember you mentioning you'd felt it in the past...
    Is it worth pulling the fuse one day and giving it a go? From memory it's pretty simple...

One easy test is to boot it in a straight line, then boot it around a slight bend... Watch your AFR's... If ecutek really has got it disabled,maybe it's a little better than we give it credit for...

Looking forward to new results

Any comments made about now having a built engine and quaife?
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

**** I hope it's ok! Lol

16. Default

Reedy after meeting Mitch for my build on the weekend pretty sure other than a way off tune you could hit the engine with a nuclear bomb and it will survive,. To say he knows his stuff and the meticulous way he goes about things like a ****ing pro is an understatement.

Proof is in the pudding go hard reedy!

Watching here to see what you think of the diff

Took the car for a spin up the old pacific highway today in the wet, a good chance to see how the quaife operates when traction is hard to come by. Nothing can increase the amount of absolute grip you have but I just can't stop being amazed by how well this thing pulls you out of corners. When you start to push with the stock LSD you can find yourself caught up in these bad understeer conditions that cause the car to just plough wide and there is just nothing you can do about it but with the quaife that power understeer simply does not happen. It's quite a surreal feeling.

Motor is still running great, everything is well on track!

20. Default

The quaife may now be a more popular mod thanks to your excellent feedback...is there any downsides?

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast