User Tag List

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza!

Not really, when you lift a wheel off the pavement you lose drive which is a bit shit but no worse than what happens when you lift a wheel with the stock LSD.

The downside might yet find me if I go to the track and am no faster, but the added driveability on the street alone is pretty neat. It's just so much smoother in pretty much any situation.

I'm sure you'll be faster around the track, even if it's not on your first time out but after a couple of sessions of adapting to the way it now drives.

At worst, it sounds like you will have an increased confidence to push harder out of corners, which may/will indirectly contribute to a faster lap time.

The quaife makes the car so much more predictable

Good example is the hook at WP once your off the brakes and get on the throttle for the longer section of the exit the car is driven out much smoother in a way that it feels it pulls you around the corner much more fluent and controlled, instead of cutting diagonally through the corner. I'd say 1-2 secs is with in reach reedy

@mickos, how much quicker have you found yourself since the Quaife?

Remember that he upgraded from an open diff. It was a dramatically bigger upgrade for him than it is for us.

Granted, but being in the passenger seat for a ride along I still noticed a difference from how the MPS would take the fish hook or last corner to how Mick's VXR + Quaife did.

I'll need to go for a ride along with you on the 26th for a like for like comparison.

My oem diff should have been used for a boat anchor

Any car with decent power needs a good LSD, time wise not sure as I lost 2 secs with downsizing to light 18s and the quaife

Keen for a burn with the new combo tho reedy

Are these diffs the same as the quaife diff fitted to Megane Rs250. Having just had one for 48hrs the steering characteristics sound like what you explained. Just when you expect understeer and plant it it just keeps pulling and turning. Massive fan of the handling of that rs250, would love the MPS to handle similar.

Well I drove a Renault R26.R at the Nurburgring and the quaife does remind me a lot of how that car pulled you through corners. I am not sure if they come with a Torsen as standard and it's hard to get a definitive answer. Whatever it is I would hazard a guess that the RS250 has a similar mechanical solution to that. The best information I have found indicates that Renault have used Quaifes and Torsen types in some models and GKN in others (GKN make all types so this really tells us nothing)

Fuk it, I'm not going bigger turbo and that shit anymore. I think I'm gonna enjoy the car so, so much more if I upgrade the diff. Especially after having that rs250 for a couple days. Loved that things in corners. And your initial opinions have pretty much sold me.

I've driven big turbo cars and didn't like any of them. No turbo lag is more fun to me as it feels more responsive and more urgent. LSD all the way.

Not sure if its mentioned before, but how much it cost the a whole LSD upgrade

I haven't looked too hard yet but cheapest I've found so far is 1496 + install

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    I haven't looked too hard yet but cheapest I've found so far is 1496 + install
    @Reedy should be able to help you out with some moola. He been spending up large.

The gearbox place we used charged $900 + parts for a box refurb and lsd install. That's with a guarantee as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    The gearbox place we used charged $900 + parts for a box refurb and lsd install. That's with a guarantee as well.
    Can I ask what place?

Can I know why u need to refurNish the box? Guess the install fee is the same as a clutch change of around 5~600.

It was a 2nd hand gearbox that we used, we didn't know exactly what kind of condition it was in so we did that just to be sure. Turned out to be fine but better to be safe.

Changed the oil + filter over the weekend (done about 1500km so far)

Dropped the car off this morning for a tune. Keen to see how well it responds this time around. Surely it will go better than the old engine did with that terrible tune!

Results are in, the engine performed great but the clutch kept slipping on the dyno! Not very happy considering it's a brand new clutch!

Red plot is the end result, green plot is what happens when the clutch lets go during a pull ><

Either way 225kW and 430NM is nothing to sneeze at, and about what I was expecting, but this was de-tuned and they had to do the dyno pulls in 3rd gear. We don't actually know how much head room there is left to work with.
    Last edited by Reedy; 19-01-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast