User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza!

Personally if you're not chasing big kw I'd just go a crate motor.

But secretly port and polish your head while its all happening :P

3. Default

The factory mazda ring lands will not stand up to a car that is tracked especially when tuned hence Rob Hunts and your own car Reedy.the piston rings that come with Wiseco are the same material that are used in cars that get thrashed with well over 1000hp in the last 20 years, replacing you engine bits that have failed with the exact same thing going to land you in the exact same position you are in now....spend the money get it done right mate

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    On MSF the most successful builds that I've seen Psycho/downmented/freek/lumberjack/phate all did fresh blocks with forged internals...

Most of those are high power... But phate auto-crosses his car on a monthly basis...

Pyscho has had 700awhp for 20-30k miles now... Yeah he's broken other things, but their engines have remained solid!

Have flicked an email off to Justin (freek) who builds our engines...

Would you consider a built short block (ie no head) and swapping other stuff over?
    I'm hoping Justin will go engine builds, his own build has been awesome with no extra fueling should be cloned and available,,i want one.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

In other words: if you build it, they will come.

How much longer would you expect a built motor to last tho? If the ringlands are no longer the weak point then you might start doing damage to the bore itself. If a built motor only lasts marginally longer than a stock one then is it worth all of the gremlins that go along with it? If I rebuild my existing motor then there is no guarantee that another part might fail soon.

I have just seen a few too many motor builds that just have gremlin after gremlin. I think in my case a new engine, oil cooling and driving it a bit less aggressively will be enough to get the life out of it that I am after with minimal fuss.

Ps. I may or may not have ordered a quaife today.
    Last edited by Reedy; 26-09-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    ****ing **** **** Bull*** ***ing ****

Figured I'd just save the automated censor time and put the asterisks in myself.

How much longer would you expect a built motor to last tho? If the ringlands are no longer the weak point then you might start doing damage to the bore itself. If a built motor only lasts marginally longer than a stock one then is it worth all of the gremlins that go along with it? If I rebuild my existing motor then there is no guarantee that another part might fail soon.

I have just seen a few too many motor builds that just have gremlin after gremlin. I think in my case a new engine, oil cooling and driving it a bit less aggressively will be enough to get the life out of it that I am after with minimal fuss.

Hope you can get it in before i get my gearbox back in would love to hear your thoughts on it
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Email from freek:
    If he is going with aftermarket pistons, then use the supplied rings. I would not personally run another set of stock pistons on a car that is tracked heavily, especially with high temps.*

Opening a new block, and dropping in new rods and pistons is pretty straight forward. Take your time, make sure everything is clean, set ring gaps, reassemble.. Have a happy like. lol. Only new gasket really needed, is head gasket. And that could probably even be reused. I just haven't had the balls to try.*

@Jamesa2z don't know if this interest you at all...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 27-09-2014 at 08:30 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Brand New Engine + Forged Internals would be nice, but shouldn't it also be balanced? That required lots of pulling apart doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Email from freek:
    If he is going with aftermarket pistons, then use the supplied rings. I would not personally run another set of stock pistons on a car that is tracked heavily, especially with high temps.*

Opening a new block, and dropping in new rods and pistons is pretty straight forward. Take your time, make sure everything is clean, set ring gaps, reassemble.. Have a happy like. lol. Only new gasket really needed, is head gasket. And that could probably even be reused. I just haven't had the balls to try.*

@Jamesa2z don't know if this interest you at all...
    I had more luck with builds i didn't rush aka why MINE failed 'sighs'! mwi wouldnt be a bad idea (not sure how the race officials would like the meth idea) But water injection should be ok, would help with keeping BAT's down help stop frying pistons.

Many parts of yor engine can be re used after being assessed and serviced as part of overhaul procedures, many gremlins are usually someone's mistakes covered up by pulling the wool over ones eyes.

Considering your engine is only worn out and not ****ed, there is no reason to assume that rebuilding it would lead to more hassle then replacing it all together., that's no different then buying a new long engine and replacing internal components on the basis that "it's new"

The only thing you can save by going a new engine is turn around time on the repair.

overhauling your current engine would mean a full teardown assessment and close quality control during assembly, hand built engines (depending on the numb nut building it) are usually a lot better than one that's been slapped together on an assembly line.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    Many parts of yor engine can be re used after being assessed and serviced as part of overhaul procedures, many gremlins are usually someone's mistakes covered up by pulling the wool over ones eyes.

Considering your engine is only worn out and not ****ed, there is no reason to assume that rebuilding it would lead to more hassle then replacing it all together., that's no different then buying a new long engine and replacing internal components on the basis that "it's new"

The only thing you can save by going a new engine is turn around time on the repair.

overhauling your current engine would mean a full teardown assessment and close quality control during assembly, hand built engines (depending on the numb nut building it) are usually a lot better than one that's been slapped together on an assembly line.
    Thank ****....... Didn't need someone from MSF to say it so plainly

Most wreckers that have been contacted want $5000 for a second hand engine! lol no. You're better off with a brand new one.

New engine + forged internals would be nice..... Could we then swap the pistons from the new engine into the old one provided tolerances are ok? That might be one way to revive the old engine and make it sellable with minimal fuss.

Most wreckers that have been contacted want $5000 for a second hand engine! lol no. You're better off with a brand new one.

New engine + forged internals would be nice..... Could we then swap the pistons from the new engine into the old one provided tolerances are ok? That might be one way to revive the old engine and make it sellable with minimal fuss.
    Yes will need a hone tho to set new rings to bore, as long as tolerances are still in spec after hone. A hone will take 2-5 thou off bore. New bearings will also be good as well + these are not too much $$

The bore will be outside spec once honed meaning the new std pistons won't be suitable for the corrected bore size... Short answer is no.

The bore will be outside spec once honed meaning the new std pistons won't be suitable for the corrected bore size... Short answer is no.
    Would have thought the standard piston casting material would give a broader tolerance, thought a hone would still be in there spec. Interesting hmm

They could be within tolerance, mine are. BUT seeing as Reedy has so many cylinders down on compression chances are bores could be damaged from broken ringlands and or out of round.

.0011" is not a lot of allowance, hone it and your on your way to .020 os.

A new Long Engine is definitely firming as the favourite. The next question is whether to drop in a set of internals while we have the chance.

More questions for the ones that know @SarcasticOne @LittleredMPS

What Pistons and rods suit my purposes the best? I am not doing big power but my car gets driven hard, it is heat management that is more important than absolute strength. I need something that will wear longer than the stock ones without needing them to handle huge power levels.

The most important part here is what pistons/rings are the most suitable? What is the difference between the ones that are available? My car might get raced a lot but it still needs to work on the street, nor do I have the time or the money to strip it down and rebuild it any more than I already do!

So, who knows rings? I want the full metallurgy and science breakdowns if you can give it to me.
    Last edited by Reedy; 30-09-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast