User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reedy's Engine Rebuild Bonanza!

It might sound like a lot for a new engine but it's definitely competitive with a rebuild. Add in the fact that downtime will be minimised, it will be warranted and is an untouched, sealed unit means that it will likely be the most reliable option.

If I had the garage and space to do a rebuild myself then I would, but since I need to outsource ALL of the work, the new engine actually becomes a viable option.

2. Default

Brand new long blocks from USA are around $3500, shipping by sea is around $600-$800 from memory when i did an online quote.

That's not bad at all. Altho Warranty will be an issue..... is it worth paying a $4000 premium for......

Edit: Edge have long blocks for $4500US, that's over $5000. Add shipping costs, tax and other bullshit and the savings aren't all that great.
    Last edited by Reedy; 24-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Build it yourself Reedy Live the experience. Just dont put the Balance shaft in get mitch or mazda to do that part..... Stupid BS :P

Sounds fun but your experience is pretty much exactly the reason why I don't want to.

I prefer my cars when they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Sounds fun but your experience is pretty much exactly the reason why I don't want to.

I prefer my cars when they work.
    I hate the fact my cars not running, I also hate the fact that I didnt put the BS in when I had the engine out of the car building it and over looked it. But I wouldnt want to wish away the experience and joy I got out of it, I know much more than I ever have and learnt a lot it was my first MPS build. This time I will have all of it nailed down, I know what I did right and wrong. LOVE it, its for this reason I share my lows and highs and say get your hands dirty!
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    That's not bad at all. Altho Warranty will be an issue..... is it worth paying a $4000 premium for......

Edit: Edge have long blocks for $4500US, that's over $5000. Add shipping costs, tax and other bullshit and the savings aren't all that great.
    If your going to run a tune and or track it (or any mods), Mazda won't cover it with warranty no matter what planet you buy it from.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Also, the remanufactured blocks from edge are built to order, with a 3-4 week turn around time

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    If your going to run a tune and or track it (or any mods), Mazda won't cover it with warranty no matter what planet you buy it from.
    You will find this with any engine built, if tracked they wont cover it.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

I tend to agree with @shaneski, @Reedy by the time you stuff about, the cost and extra time involved of having a reliable build that will take whatever you can throw at it will probably be worth it.

I know that's what I would be doing in your position.

My counter argument is: what proof is there that a built engine is genuinely reliable? I am not interested in big power so the need for forged internals is lessened. All engine builds I read about lurch from one screw up to the next so a new and fresh engine is starting to make far more sense to me.

On MSF the most successful builds that I've seen Psycho/downmented/freek/lumberjack/phate all did fresh blocks with forged internals...

Most of those are high power... But phate auto-crosses his car on a monthly basis...

Pyscho has had 700awhp for 20-30k miles now... Yeah he's broken other things, but their engines have remained solid!

Have flicked an email off to Justin (freek) who builds our engines...

Would you consider a built short block (ie no head) and swapping other stuff over?

Let us know what the freek says....starting to look into options for if i ever zzb.

Tapatorque steering

Quote Originally Posted by TRBLSM View Post
    Let us know what the freek says....starting to look into options for if i ever zzb.

Tapatorque steering
    I'm looking into a short block swap... Cause I have a nasty suspicion I've lost compression but don't want to check
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

My problem with a short block swap is that you still need to take the engine out in order to build it. I like the long block idea because you don't have to do without the car for too long.

Also there is nothing to say the rest of the moving parts in my car aren't screwed either. Or at least badly worn. An entirely new engine will be literally good as new which is an attractive option to me

Nah, I'm suggesting you get a built short block... So you swap the head over and reinstall...

Sell the used short block..

Yea fair enough, that's another option nonetheless.

Mazda Aust. Wants $3500 for a bare block Lol. Can get from Edge shipped for $2000

$2000 + tax + 6 weeks sitting in customs because the government are a waste of space.

all options will all cost you...... We have options this is what makes it 'MY' build.... I love the Hands on approach, i ****ed up and love/hated the path but wouldnt change it. bring on new build !!!!

All of us have offered what we think its now up to you my friend!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast