User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobb AP - first thoughts on stock MPS6

1. Default Cobb AP - first thoughts on stock MPS6

Thought i would share my experiences of installing a Cobb AP on a bone stock MPS.

After waiting for 3 weeks for the AP to arrive through snail mail.... finally it turned up at work, was keen to get home and install this puppy to see what all the hype was about (removing limits 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc).

Plugged it in and started the flash, took about 20 mins for the AP to save the stock map, and about 1 min for the AP to load the new map (Stage 1 98 v233).

initial take off seemed smoother and the car revs quicker and thats about where the good things stopped for me......... no more pushing me back in the seat! it seemed like all the torque had gone and been replaced by a smooth power cure.... boring!!!!!! to be honest it feels slower.

So either my car had been tuned when it was in japan (its was imported to New Zealand) and i've flashed over a tuned map, or the stock tune just felt like it had way more torque!

Keen to hear what @Rayd and the other tuners have to say.

2. Default

Is it hitting boost targets? Create a log and post it up. You may need to give it 20 or so km for the ltft to learn over the rev range

Default Cobb AP - first thoughts on stock MPS6

I ran stock tune on mine for ages with dp, tmic, tip and when I tuned to stg 2 98 I never noticed the difference. Wasn't until I actually went to where I practiced my 1/4 miles did I actually see I was shave more off the time then I thought.

Then @Rayd got to it now it's a weapon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From memory, the 6 isn't as restricted as a 3...
    What you might be noticing is a more linear throttle response... Which is better for smooth driving, but you do lose that "slam" feeling when boost hits...

With a more linear/smoother throttle, it can actually feel slower, whilst you go faster

5. Default

I think ive done the logging right, should be attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    From memory, the 6 isn't as restricted as a 3...
    What you might be noticing is a more linear throttle response... Which is better for smooth driving, but you do lose that "slam" feeling when boost hits...

With a more linear/smoother throttle, it can actually feel slower, whilst you go faster
    haha you could be right here... dammit i need more power stat!

the 6 barely has any torque and boost restrictions in 1st and 2nd, something like 1.58 load in 1st/2nd vs 1.68 load in 3rd-6th which is really not much when compared to the 3's, so likely wont make too much a difference since the boost and timing isnt really too much increased in the stage 1 maps.

Unfortunately the OTS stage1 maps don't make much in the way of enhancing midrange when compared to the stock map IMO. it does however remove the throttle plate closure restrictions on the top end and stops the massive power loss @5000rpm+ that the stock map presents.

What you really want is a custom map that enhances the performance of the car for your specific fuel/ driving style/ environment

Here is an example of a stock 6 MPS on 98RON comparing stock map vs custom map, shows the potential gains to be had especially in torque.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 9.51.08 am.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	16640  
    Last edited by Rayd; 21-08-2014 at 07:22 PM.

delicious man ur making me cringe @ that extra 60NM torque i may be missing out on!!

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    delicious man ur making me cringe @ that extra 60NM torque i may be missing out on!!
    Just look at those luscious curves man. Who wouldn't want them haha

2006 MPS6 Gray - BNR S3 V2, 2XS turbo manifold, CPE 3” catted down pipe, Magna Flow cat back, HTP 3” TIP, HTP 3” MAF, HDI FMIC, Turbo smart BPV, 3 bar MAP, 3 port cobb boost solenoid, Auto Tech fuel pump, CPE injector seals, EGR delete (second and primary), VTCS delete, JBR Thermal Gasket Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, V3 Access Port.

98RON 260kw - 490Nm RayTuned

10. Default

Haha looks like I'm going to start tuning with @Rayd early next week. I thought I lost this modification bug dammit it's back!

Haha sounds like you'll be full bolt on before you know it.

12. Default

Haha no, no bolt on's.

maybe a down pipe and fuel pump... and wont do a bigger turbo unless this one fails.

That's what I said 6 months ago.

Nek min full bolt on.

14. Default

I know it will never be fast enough, so ill just buy another motorbike soon.

Just after a quick daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by dropped View Post
    Haha looks like I'm going to start tuning with @Rayd early next week. I thought I lost this modification bug dammit it's back!

Im tuning with @Rayd at the moment, i can tell you it is worth it
    He persists haha And delivers a great result.

Should be doing some more runs this weekend by the way @Rayd - give you the 2/3/4 WOT.
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    Im tuning with @Rayd at the moment, i can tell you it is worth it
    He persists haha And delivers a great result.

Should be doing some more runs this weekend by the way @Rayd - give you the 2/3/4 WOT.

Thats great to hear as ive just paid @Rayd ... hoping for good things!
    2007 MPS6 - Cobb AP (Tuned by RayD ~ 160KW / 331NM ATW)
    CP-E Engine & Diff Mount
    JBR Solid Shifter Bushings
    Whiteline Rear SwayBar
    Sold!

17. Default

Turns out you need to let the ecu learn the new map, after 50 or so Kms the car is so much better. So just remember you need to do 50k or so after you flash the map before the good things happen.

18. Default

Edited: added Dyno chart in KW

I have now started tuning with @Rayd the attached dyno run is my standard MPS6 with Cobb OTS stage 1 map.

I submitted the logs to @Rayd last night and like over night parts from japan, the new map (Rev 0.1) had arrived this morning. Will flash the new map tonight and most likely wont be able to pull a new Dyno run till Wednesday night.

The CoBB Dyno said 320HP & 330 TQ, im not sure if these readings are ATW or not
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dyno_Run_3RD-Gear-2.PNG 
Views:	205 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	16658   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dyno_Run_3RD-Gear-2 - KW.PNG 
Views:	180 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	16659  
    Last edited by dropped; 26-08-2014 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Adding second dyno chart
    2007 MPS6 - Cobb AP (Tuned by RayD ~ 160KW / 331NM ATW)
    CP-E Engine & Diff Mount
    JBR Solid Shifter Bushings
    Whiteline Rear SwayBar
    Sold!

I think the norm for VD is to use a custom correction factor of 1.01 rather than dyno jet (can't remember the difference though)

20. Default

Can anyone clarify this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast