User Tag List

Thread: Stock gear knob restoration

Default Stock gear knob restoration

The stock gear knob as we all know looks horrid after a while from scratches. My gear knob was also falling apart so one thing led to another

The results speak for themselves. The end result I went for is brushed aluminium following the Youtube video below. Basically I sand paper the original paint off using P600 grit (all I had, took forever). Then went in ONE direction with P180 grit. Then polished off lightly with the P600.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knob_restore.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	16567

The silver part is actually aluminium and the leather is actually leather. mazda didnt skimp there at least lol

Taking the gear label off will be the most difficult part. For me it was easy as the silver part was unscrewing off and I was able to take the silver part off first.

Any ideas how I cant protect the bare aluminium? I'm thinking of getting it anodised from this mob A Grade Anodising in a gloss clear coat. But if they don't do dinky small jobs like this, what hard clear coats are available?

Like this. Good work! Inspires me to refurb mine as well.

3. Default

could you put a layer of clear coat to protect it?

Quote Originally Posted by allo80 View Post
    could you put a layer of clear coat to protect it?
    don't think it would be durable enough to be honest. the paint that was on there originally took some effort to sand off and yet it looked like a dog went at it

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    don't think it would be durable enough to be honest. the paint that was on there originally took some effort to sand off and yet it looked like a dog went at it
    I did a similar thing about a year ago......polished it down to a bare aluminium shine. It still appears to be holding up fine today, probably because I haven't been wearing any rings. Used a whole bunch of grit sandpapers and then autosol. Here's what it looks like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	16578  

I wouldn't clear coat it again, not worth the effort and money - maybe just polish off any tarnishing with some very fine abrasive (toothpaste!) every now and then to remove any discolouration.

Looks good though - will do same soon, using a grinder polishing wheel

Whoops, meant to say it was never clear coated. Just left the aluminium bare for a year without issues.

that's promising the bare aluminium held up without any protection. Was concerned the aluminium would oxidise and go all manky

Reason I didnt go with the polished look was keeping it that way. but that is a nice alternative for those inclined