User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MAZDA 6 MPS problems you have had, warranty fixes

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by EQ:

I thought it was about time we had a (stickied) thread on MPS6 issues/fixes. I'll get the ball rolling:

If you could post the problem item, symptom and action taken to resolve that would be great!
    Eg. Gearbox "wong wong" noise -> (Penrite SYN 75W-90)

As things are posted ill add them to this first post, or mods add things straight in this first post so we can keep track of them all.
    obviously not every car will have same issues.

Please keep your posts on topic and technically orientated as this is a great resource for warranty claims/troubleshooting.
    If you need further help with a problem noted here or a new issue please post in an existing thread or create a new one.

Problems/Resolutions
    * Replaced clutch / flywheel
    * Replaced sat nav screen twice
    * Replaced diff
    * Faulty O2 sensor (not yet replaced)
    * Sagging engine mount (not yet replaced)
    * Leaking water pump (not yet replaced)
    * Small oil leak from transfer casing (not yet fixed)
    * Broken rear suspension bolt
    * Rear Sway (banging/squeaking) -> Tightened
    * Hesitation and rough response off boost -> Wastegate solenoid replaced

1. Turbo replaced due to failed seals at 32,000ks
    2. Rear diff replaced at 34,000ks, whined from 12,000ks
    3. Transfer (PTO) case leak. Resealed at 34,000Ks
    4. Transfer case re-sealed again at 35,000ks
    5. Oil sump leak at 35,000ks
    6. Vibrations at idle and underway, Drivers side engine mount replaced at 35,000ks
    7. Wheel allignment, tyre wear and wheel wander....on going - possible fix from Falcrum suspensions once everything else is done

This sucks...but I love the car...for now

From Swallowtail:

6MPS repairs under warranty:

Replaced clutch / flywheel
    Replaced sat nav screen twice
    Replaced diff
    Faulty O2 sensor (not yet replaced)
    Sagging engine mount (not yet replaced)
    Leaking water pump (not yet replaced)
    Small oil leak from transfer casing (not yet fixed)
    Broken rear suspension bolt

If I think of any others I'll post them up ...

My clutch was done as part of a Service Bulletin - they made several major changes to the clutches in the 6MPS after the original ones were nigh on impossible to use for most buyers. The change was free if you knew to ask for it... Took them 2 days. Apparently you have to just about dismantle the entire car to get the clutch / flywheel out on the awd 6...
    Last edited by shakespeare; 19-06-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added EQ's original post to start of 6MPS problems thread
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

Blog Entries

Got mine back Friday from getting the warranty work done (engine mount, O2 sensor, transfer casing oil leak, water pump leak).

Those things are all fixed... but the car now has an engine compartment exhaust leak (fills the passenger compartment with fumes and it sounds like a truck), the alarm no longer works, the radio has been scratched, and my phone mount has been broken.

I sent an email to the Service Manager yesterday, and he was on my phone this morning at 7.45am... .

Fun fun fun...
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

Blog Entries

Well, today is day 16 of my car being in the service shop. So far plugs, coils, o2 sensors, fuel pump, injectors have been replaced, and a heap of other stuff has been done apparently. Result - it's still there, it's still not fixed, and at the moment no-one has any idea what is wrong with it. They have been talking to Mazda Japan, logging heaps, and comparing with another MPS6 that they have onsite, and I honestly don't think they have any idea quite what to do next.

At least I have wheels in the form of a loan car, but it's not a 6 MPS...

Blog Entries

The car has hesitation and rough response off-boost. They recognise that there is an issue which was a battle in itself, but have no idea why it's doing it.

Who knows...

Geez Swallowtail, that's been going on for ages, when do you trade your beast in? FYI I've had the occassional hesitation mainly in 3rd WOT, it's rare but does occur, not often enough for me to pursue it though.

Blog Entries

Hmmmm... apparently they are now replacing the ECU.. :-O

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Hmmmm... apparently they are now replacing the ECU.. :-O
    Ouch, Hope its sorted soon..
    Let us know how you go!

Blog Entries

Update - in addition to the long list of parts already tried, they have now replaced the ECU, the blow-off valve, and the exhaust system. Result - still the same!!!

Apparently they are now in discussions with Mazda Japan as to what to do next... .

Blog Entries

Well they continue to make guesses as to what may be the issue. EGR solenoid has made no difference, and they are still saying that they are 'working on it'.

They still have no clue as to what is causing the problem. And they are completely unable to give me any idea as to whether they are going to be able to resolve it at all, or how long it may take, or what they will do if they can't fix it, or how they are going to reimburse me for out of pocket expenses or lease costs, or what they are going to do given that I have to sell the car by June.

Mazda Australia Customer Service are involved too, but all I have had from them is a continuation of the "we're working on it" and "we want it fixed as soon as we can" line.

The car has now been "vehicle off road"" (VOR apparently they call it) for almost a month, in addition to the previous times when they have tried to fix it and failed.

What do I do next?!?!?!?!

Blog Entries

It's fixed....

Picked it up yesterday after nearly 5 weeks in the workshop. The issue? Wastegate solenoid.

Only problems - the new sat nav screen is busted, my bluetooth doesn't work any more, and my ipod adapter has been disconnected and the cable jammed in between the stereo and its mounting bracket, so I can't get the cable out to plug it back in.

So it's going back in next week for another week or two for them to sort out those issues, give it a roadworthy, put new tyres on it, and then it's up for sale...

Half of it's been replaced, so almost like new... .

Blog Entries

Hey, this got escalated to Japan, so the dealer was just following instructions. The car feels really sharp, mid-range response is awesome. New turbo, new injectors, new fuel pump, new plugs, new coils, etc. All helping I guess.

Hey, this got escalated to Japan, so the dealer was just following instructions. The car feels really sharp, mid-range response is awesome. New turbo, new injectors, new fuel pump, new plugs, new coils, etc. All helping I guess.
    At least it got fixed mate.

Updated first post to include resolution.
    MY16 WRX STi Crystal White Pearl
    -= Rally Armour Flaps - 2XS Muffler Delete =-

FG FPV F6 MKII Vixen - SOLD
    -= Bluepower SRI - ID1000 Injectors - Venom Cat - XCAL3 - ProcessWest Stg2 Intercooler - 359 RWKW=-

CX9 Grand Touring Stormy Blue
    -= The rolling armchair =-

6 MPS Velocity Red - SOLD
    -=Cat Back Exhaust - Pirelli PZero=-

3 MPS Aurora Blue - SOLD
    -=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=-

It's fixed....

Picked it up yesterday after nearly 5 weeks in the workshop. The issue? Wastegate solenoid.

Only problems - the new sat nav screen is busted, my bluetooth doesn't work any more, and my ipod adapter has been disconnected and the cable jammed in between the stereo and its mounting bracket, so I can't get the cable out to plug it back in.

So it's going back in next week for another week or two for them to sort out those issues, give it a roadworthy, put new tyres on it, and then it's up for sale...

Half of it's been replaced, so almost like new... .
    What's the long term verdict Simon? Is the solenoid still holding up, no return of the stutters?

Gone to Volvo

Blog Entries

Running like a charm. And no I'm not just saying that cos it's up for sale .

Seriously, the stutters are all gone. Mid-range pull is improved, and it feels like it wants to go again, which for a while it wasn't.

Makes me feel sad to be selling it...

Glad to hear it. Don't think you'll stay sad for too long after stepping into the R36.

I thought it was about time we had a (stickied) thread on MPS6 issues/fixes. I'll get the ball rolling:

If you could post the problem item, symptom and action taken to resolve that would be great!
    Eg. Gearbox "wong wong" noise -> (Penrite SYN 75W-90)

As things are posted ill add them to this first post, or mods add things straight in this first post so we can keep track of them all.
    obviously not every car will have same issues.

Please keep your posts on topic and technically orientated as this is a great resource for warranty claims/troubleshooting.
    If you need further help with a problem noted here or a new issue please post in an existing thread or create a new one.

Problems/Resolutions
    * Replaced clutch / flywheel
    * Replaced sat nav screen twice
    * Replaced diff
    * Faulty O2 sensor (not yet replaced)
    * Sagging engine mount (not yet replaced)
    * Leaking water pump (not yet replaced)
    * Small oil leak from transfer casing (not yet fixed)
    * Broken rear suspension bolt
    * Rear Sway (banging/squeaking) -> Tightened
    * Hesitation and rough response off boost -> Wastegate solenoid replaced

6. Vibrations at idle and underway, Drivers side engine mount replaced at 35,000ks
    7. Wheel allignment, tyre wear and wheel wander....on going - possible fix from Falcrum suspensions once everything else is done

Last edited by shakespeare; 19-06-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Moved EQ's post to the start of the 6MPS problem thread
    Faster than swallowtails Passat...and it has a letterbox

Default MPS problems you have had, warranty fixes

Car compliance July 2007

Faster than swallowtails Passat...and it has a letterbox

18. Default

1. Faulty wheel angle sensor (made my TSC light come on and stay on for no reason) replaced at 7000ks
    2. Turbo replaced due to failed seals at 33,000ks

Thats all Folks and I am truely in love with my beast

1. Resonant vibration from new which dissapears in 2WD mode, which Mazda cannot seem to fix
    2. Transfer case oil leak @ 30,000kms, seal replaced under warranty and no further issues.
    3. Sheared diff bolts on forward mount @ 42,000kms , replaced with higher strength bolts under warranty
    4. Diff bolts on forward mount worked loose @ 44,000kms, tightened and Loctited by Mazda, no further issues.

Blog Entries

wNo warranty problems at all with 70,000km on the clock.

Only issue I had was the smoking after fitting the downpipe and that is now fixed with heavier engine oil.
    Last edited by shinslinger66; 15-06-2009 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast