User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MAZDA 6 MPS problems you have had, warranty fixes

did you know, that even past warranty if you kick up a big enough stink and do your research you can get things replaced still... SOME THINGS... for instance the seat, should clearly live well past the normal 3 years warranty. Look up some court cases an such and tell mazda its an IMPLIED warranty, something the consumer expects even if its not stated or currently out of the covered warranty. And everyone remember the paint and body of mazda's have a 5 year warranty, its only a 3 year engine warranty, Think im correct please feel free to correct me if im wrong.
    Latool- far from normal

2. Default 6 MPS Clutch

Hi guys. I have an 05 MPS and I changed my clutch about 18,000kms ago when City Mazda (Melb) told me that I should change it because I was having my transfer case replaced and they said I would save money on labour as the clutch still had another 10,000kms or so.

So I agreed, paid the $3k and got the clutch changed. Now, 18,000kms later, the clutch and the flywheel need to be replaced (I should mention that I have the same symptoms of grabbiness of the clutch and difficulty of driving around town).

Mazda agreed to replace the flywheel under warranty, but are now saying that the clutch is a wear and tear issue. I've questioned my dealership about the TSB on the clutch and they're telling me that my VIN is not covered under the TSB... however, when I asked them why I still had a grabby clutch, they said "that's what we're trying to find out."

My issue is, say Mazda agree to replace the clutch, I have effectively paid $3k on a clutch that I never really needed and that eventually got replaced after 18,000kms. Should I be expected to still bear this cost??

Sorry about the length!!

Jason

3. Default

Jason that doesnt sound right, to my understanding all the 05 MPS6's were included in the TSB.

Im not sure what you can do about having already paid for a replacement clutch etc etc ... but something definately sounds a bit dodgy

Oh and BTW Welcome

Hi Jason and weclome too.

What you've described above does not sound right, as blackbetty mentioned and I was under the impression that the TSB applied to all the early build 6MPS - does anyone here have access to other TSB information ? This is what I've come across

Maintenance, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins

I would try another dealer and contacting Mazda Australia and detailing the specifics of your issue to them.

Hope you get it sorted
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

Agree, there is definatly something amiss there...it should be covered by the TSB whether the car is in or out of warranty...

Im going to go to my Mazda Dealer and get the rear diff done..
    Whines and vibrates when cruising (handbrake up slightly... GONE)

Wish me luck

7. Default

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    (handbrake up slightly... GONE)

Wish me luck
    Dosent that turn the rear diff off ?

Oh and good luck
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Dosent that turn the rear diff off ?

Oh and good luck
    Yea thats right . The noise and vibrations go away when u turn the rear diff off... pretty evident where the problem is

Current: 2002 Nissan S15 200SX SPEC R
    Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

Quote Originally Posted by nissanman View Post
    Yea thats right . The noise and vibrations go away when u turn the rear diff off... pretty evident where the problem is
    ahhh the old unsolveable diff whine
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    ahhh the old unsolveable diff whine
    I first thought i was the odd one out with the diff whine,,, do some reading you see that alot of people are in the same boat.

Hopefully have mine booked in end of this week, next week to get done.
    Ill let yas know how i go.

Going to try get the front drivers door hinge replaced also... its doesnt open in stages.. it flings out and is very flimsy.

Cheers

Previously: 2006 Mazda 6 MPS ,MY00 WRX CLUB SPEC EVO IV Hatch ,97' Nissan S14A 200sx, Nissan R34 GT-T, Nissan S12 Silvia

When you all say waste gate solinoid do you mean the actuator? or was it an electrical item that was replaced?
    Scary thing is they had half the car spread out on the floor before they found what some less effort testing would have picked up maybe?

The standard blow off valves are crap and leak air too but we all know how to fix that

great thread!

Blog Entries

Ah the old wastegate solenoid trick... they replaced many thousands of $ worth of parts on my car before they realised that's what it was. Only took them about 6 months too... with the last spell about 6 weeks solid in the workshop ... I think the wastegate solenoid is an assembled item with the actuator and switch, not sure though. Who knows... who cares, it fixed it!
    2009 VW Passat R36 - 220KW of German engineering.
    EQ - "I must admit, having driven Simons Passat, I was simply....impressed, very impressed. My flat cap and whippet, old man jokes are definalty put back in the kit bag."

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Ah the old wastegate solenoid trick... they replaced many thousands of $ worth of parts on my car before they realised that's what it was. Only took them about 6 months too... with the last spell about 6 weeks solid in the workshop ... I think the wastegate solenoid is an assembled item with the actuator and switch, not sure though. Who knows... who cares, it fixed it!
    And for them to replace thousands of dollers worth of parts your car was doing what now?? As in what made you think you had a problem? Power wasn't there or?

Blog Entries

It was running like crap. Hesitating off-boost mainly, when under moderate load. So say 3rd gear, up a slight hill, or AC on, 2000 - 2500 rpm, it would hesitate and generally feel crap. Once on boost it was fine.

A quick bit of revision, my car has been suffering from two problems for over two years:

1. Engine hesitation. I tried more things than I can remember to try and fix it, including the coil spring stretch and colder plugs. Mazda also tried a few things including a new o2 sensor and waste gate solenoid. But nothing seemed to make a difference.

2. Resonant vibration, which peaked at 103 kmh in 6th. Mazda tried a new diff coupling, tail shaft, wheels, different diff oil and a few other things. They even took my car away and rigged camera's underneath in a attempt to identify the source of the resonance. Despite their efforts the resonance kept hammering away.

Earlier this year the Germans discovered a solution to the resonant vibration. A few months back I wrote to Mazda Australia customer service and asked that they investigate the German solution.

After a long wait for parts to arrive from Japan, last week my car went in for replacement of the gearbox, clutch, flywheel, ignition coils and EGR valve.

I've driven about 320km since I got it back and I think it's safe to say the hesitation and vibration are finally resolved.

The vibration is still noticeable to me, but it's only about 10% of what it was and is no longer intrusive. I doubt anyone else would notice it. A whole lot of other vibrations are also gone and the car is a lot nicer to drive.

It's impossible to say if the EGR valve or the coils solved the hesitation, but my money is on the coils. I gave it an awful lot of thought over the last two years and convinced myself that the hesitation was a result of spark blow-out due to a reduction in coil output voltage, which is something I think a DI engine with forced induction would be extremely vulnerable to given the combustion chamber characteristics.

Anyway I happy with my car now and grateful that Mazda responded to my gentle prods.

Gone to Volvo

Blog Entries

Good news kmh001... at last!

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post

Anyway I happy with my car now and grateful that Mazda responded to my gentle prods.
    That is excellent news and good work on Mazda's behalf, has your car cracked 100,000kms yet? If so even better as now you have a pile of new bits to see you another 100,000, any warranty on the new components?
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

My car is at 106,000 km now, but I would have preferred to have had the last two years without vibration and hesitation. It's really blunted my enjoyment of the car.

Most of the credit belongs to a German fellow named Ottmar who pulled info together from across the world and helped Mazda to figure it out.

I didn't ask about the warranty on the new parts. Imagine how they would react if I complained about the gearbox again two years from now - that would be a classic.

Update on the 6th gear vibration issues: Ottmar posted some new information and photo's from a German MPS owner who pulled his gearbox apart due to the same 6th gear vibration. He found excessive play on the main shaft due to severe wear of the internal splines on 6th gear. I can't cross-link the photo's, but there is one showing the splines of the new cog compared to the worn cog. One has teeth, the other has almost no teeth.

Not much more info but I assume the other gear pairs didn't have the same excessive wear.

If you have an MPS6 that's out of warranty and you want to know why it's vibrating in 6th, this is quite possibly the reason and what you'll need to replace to fix it.

Gone to Volvo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast