User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I afford an MPS 6 or am I dreaming?Please Help! I am being seduced !!

Default Can I afford an MPS 6 or am I dreaming?Please Help! I am being seduced !!

Hi Guys, I an a newbie here, and joined because I am considering buying a Mazda 6 MPS.
    My current and soon to be retired ride is a 96 Accord VTI with 234,000kms, It has been a valiant friend, but it's not really worth anything with the catolog of faults that should I try to sell it I would have to address.
    So, I'm looking for a replacement very soon, and my initial thought was to go for a 80-150,000 kms Accord Euro Lux (04-06).
    I have at present $11,000 and there were several likely candidates on carsales.com.au, after visiting a couple in a 500km round trip I was left a little disillusioned, apart from the condition they were in ( not as good as in the description, shock horror!) the performance was very underwhelming compared to my trusty 96 VTI (bog standard).
    Why should I fork out that much cash for a potentially boring, if reliable ride I asked myself.
    then I saw and advert for a 130,000kms 6 MPS for $10,800 ono, and my heart started to pound in my chest.
    I hired a mechanic in Brisbane to check it over for me (as I live in Cooloola, and the $200 he was charging seemed like it would be worth it to save me 4.5hrs travel, fuel and mechanical assessment worry) and waited with baited breath for the report,
    which was.
    No sight-able service history, low engine oil, rear trans whine at 80-90kph in 3,4,5,6th gear, poor paint condition and a bumper needing a broken fixing tap fixed up.
    I was sad , but not overly surprised.
    There was another for $11,500 with 132,000kms only 50km from me that went before I could get to see it and another available in Brisbane for $12,500, but I will need to save a few more dollars to consider that.

TO CUT TO THE CHASE,

Am I dreaming to think I can purchase a reliable MPS 6 for this ($11,000- 12,000)money?, I HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD VEHICLE THAT WILL GET ME TO JOBS.
    Am i going to be horrified with the running/fuel and servicing costs?
    Will it be worth it to have the luxury, space and performance?
    Is the clutch as heavy and nightmarish as people report?
    Should I just Buy a Astra SRI Turbo or VRX, or give up on any kind of grin factor and go for the Euro?
    I have researched the MPS 6 and read forums, reviews etc etc, but I would really appreciate some direct advice from you guys.
    Thanks heaps in advance.
    Last edited by studiovape; 31-07-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Clutch: drive it and find out
    Some people hate it, others don't mind... The 05's are a bit funky tho...

Services are probably in the 2-400 range, insurance and rego, you'll need your own quotes...

Otherwise, they're about the same as any other car, you'll be able to afford it as long as it doesn't go boom (7k+ for a new block) keep up to date on maintenance, put in a replacement hpfp ($400) and it should be right as rain

I'd also suggest an access port + proper tune as the stock tune isn't the greatest...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

3. Default

Hi mate, great decision on getting a 6 MPS, I just got mine recently and it's frkn awesome...I went from having a 99 wrx to an MPS and it's a huge difference - MPS is a luxury but yet a performance car and it is very quick (especially top end). I do think that you are pushing at getting one for 11k, there is one out there on ebay for around 10k but it has done 220k.
    - As for the fuel, it uses 10.4/100 on average which is quite good and you would get around 550km from a fuel tank.
    - It will definitely be worth having a luxury, space and performance vehicle, as it looks good, heaps of space and quick (which will surprise all of the P platers with their rexies or lancers )

I personally think that you would be better of with an MPS as they don't drop in value that quickly, but it's up to you mate.

Anyway I'm off to do some work and you have a great day!.

cheers,
    Nick

Save another 4k and you will have more than enough to find a good one. Be wary of service history and get someone who knows the model to look over it first.

Keep an eye out for both VVT noise and smokey turbo too

@ studiovape
    Honestly i am not sure you should get one. There are some people who have had poor experiences with it, and if you are concerned with longevity or economy then this may not be the car for you.

I did my research and spent 2 years finding the right MPS6 for me, and as a result in really, really happy with mine (check out the link in my sig for further details if you want).

The car goes fast, is very nice to sit in, doesnt have all the new crap like auto wipers / lights / braking / steering, meaning you can actually control the car and drive it how you want to.
    BUT. it can use between 10.5-12l per 100km, can have some issues with the turbo, motor mounts, rear diff and VVT.

If you do decide to get one, i would recommend a late 2007 build (mine is 09/2007) as they had fixed the turbo seal issue + clutch issue by then.
    You may also get the mod bug....meaning you will spend more then you planned to!

This site has lots of info (@jmac + @rogwick have some great writeups, as well as my own ) and we can help you where possible....but maybe the best car for you is a normal Mazda 6, GG luxury sedan? maybe from 2007/2008?
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    @ studiovape
    Honestly i am not sure you should get one. There are some people who have had poor experiences with it, and if you are concerned with longevity or economy then this may not be the car for you.

I did my research and spent 2 years finding the right MPS6 for me, and as a result in really, really happy with mine (check out the link in my sig for further details if you want).

The car goes fast, is very nice to sit in, doesnt have all the new crap like auto wipers / lights / braking / steering, meaning you can actually control the car and drive it how you want to.
    BUT. it can use between 10.5-12l per 100km, can have some issues with the turbo, motor mounts, rear diff and VVT.

If you do decide to get one, i would recommend a late 2007 build (mine is 09/2007) as they had fixed the turbo seal issue + clutch issue by then.
    You may also get the mod bug....meaning you will spend more then you planned to!

This site has lots of info (@jmac + @rogwick have some great writeups, as well as my own ) and we can help you where possible....but maybe the best car for you is a normal Mazda 6, GG luxury sedan? maybe from 2007/2008?
    Thanks folks for all your feedback, I'm very grateful to all who have responded, some food for thought indeed.
    As for getting a standard 6 really the Accord Euro would surely be a better bet for a ZZzzz?
    I figured I would need to put another few grand into the pot to find a good example ( 1 grey haired old lady driver, garaged since new, full Mazda service history etc etc )
    It's a while since I've bought a used car, and the pipe dream of a used car bargain, I am remembering is just that. you either get what you pay for or you get less, nearly never more.
    I will keep adding to the pot and keep my eyes and ears open for that perfect for me example.
    so what we are saying is,
    1. Get the 2007 model that has most of the issues ironed out by Mazda.
    2.Look out for smoking turbo from damaged seals, noisey VVT chain, dodgy rear diff mounts & transmission noise.
    3.Prepare for some fuel cost mayhem

As for the mod bug, that's really why I was wanting the MPS6 because it is more than enough car for me in stock form, but it seem there are a few "essensial" mods for better reliability and fueling "cough".
    I've wanted a turbo car since I went in a friends Fiat Punto Turbo way back in 1990, and have always went for "sensible" cars, now i'm feeling life is too short and have my F**K IT pants on, but I still have to have some reliability and reasonably manageable fuel costs.
    The Renault Megane 225 Cup has a desperate interior although by all accounts a great driver's car, the Astra SRI turbo & VXR are not much better interior wise, and the Audi Quattros I have heard are underpowered ( without the questionable ECU flashing) and expensively unreliable, the Liberty 2.0GT is way overpriced IMO, but these are my alternatives, are they not?
    I could always get an Alfa romeo 159 if reliability wasnt important

Well, i would go the 6 over an accord because the 6 is a better drivers car IMO - and yes i have driven both quite a bit...Hondas these days are too boring.

Also, if you looking for comparable cars, there is ONLY 1 other car that compares to the MPS6 - the Liberty GT(b). However this is way overpriced (usually another $10k over the Mazda), and the interior isnt as good.
    I wouldn't touch anything from the VAG group - their engines are really, really good but their transmission, build quality and electrical faults are too frequent, costly and massive in scope for me to ever consider them. Also you may end up paying the cost of the car again in repairs!

The other cars you have mentioned are all small - have you considered an MPS3? usually more costly then the MPS6 though
    Go to a meet in QLD and see for yourself what the car is like, and speak to others about what their experiences have been as well.
    wsDK_II
    What is stock????

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    Well, i would go the 6 over an accord because the 6 is a better drivers car IMO - and yes i have driven both quite a bit...Hondas these days are too boring.

Also, if you looking for comparable cars, there is ONLY 1 other car that compares to the MPS6 - the Liberty GT(b). However this is way overpriced (usually another $10k over the Mazda), and the interior isnt as good.
    I wouldn't touch anything from the VAG group - their engines are really, really good but their transmission, build quality and electrical faults are too frequent, costly and massive in scope for me to ever consider them. Also you may end up paying the cost of the car again in repairs!

The other cars you have mentioned are all small - have you considered an MPS3? usually more costly then the MPS6 though
    Go to a meet in QLD and see for yourself what the car is like, and speak to others about what their experiences have been as well.
    Thanks wsDK_II,
    I am yet to drive a standard 6 admittedly, but I'm also yet to really understand what makes people say the NA 6 a better driver's car than the Euro, and can't help but feel I would wonder where my dollars went with only 122kw and under 90W/kg, the Euro has 100W/kg, it it a torque spread thing?
    the other cars are more hot hatches yes, but my daughter's are still fairly short and slight so the rear seat legroom isn't really an issue.
    I have considered a MPS 3, but prices seem crazy and tales of violent torque steer and wet weather unsuitability seem worse or at least similar to the VXR if not so much the milder SRI Turbo.
    As much as I love the Sunshine Coast, used car choice is lame, and travel at least to Brisbane if not Sydney beckons to secure the right car at the right price.

Meh, torque steer is "cured" by decent tires and a rear engine mount

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Meh, torque steer is "cured" by decent tires and a rear engine mount
    As in an upgraded OE mount or an additional one added?

Well, the whole "which car is a better drivers car" thing is more about personal taste. I came from a 1993 Mazda 323 which i could actually have more fun in then my MPS6 - because i didnt care too much about it, so to me that was a better drivers car because i could do handbrake turns in it without worrying too much

Torque steer to me is actually something i like - as long as you can handle it. But yea - talking about torque usually gets into a FWD vs AWD vs RWD debate and no one wins that one (apart from the AWD drivers ).

Life as a human IS too short so i would recommend doing something you will enjoy. But remember it doesnt have to be a MPS6 to be fun - like with my 323.
    Find something you will want to drive, and you will be fine. For me that was the MPS6.
    wsDK_II
    What is stock????

Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    As in an upgraded OE mount or an additional one added?
    Just an upgraded one

A well maintained 6 won't break your budget in fuel, a few small things that most cars are subject too at age but all and all not a bad everyday car.

Fuel is good in these things. I average 17.5L /100 in the F6 lol

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Fuel economy gets pretty terrible on the accord when you waft along creamily with real enthusiasm so I'm convinced this shouldn't be an issue in the decisive factors anymore.

It really just comes down to finding a good example at fair price. Will be putting together the best part of 14k ASAP.
    Not sure how I will go about finding someone in my area who knows the MPS 6 to check it out when it comes to buying day though.

17. Default

I used StateRoads and the bloke that inspected my car knew them well. If you live in QLD or NSW might be worth a look.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ok I now have, $13,250, and all the current Leather pack MPS6's upto $14000 have bodywork issues ( popped in rear bumper/ rough paint, and one with a dented in door handle, this is before I even visit them to assess mechanical condition and test drive.
    There are couple of the cloth/poverty pack ones around at $12000-$13000, but one of the reasons I started looking at the MPS6 was the leather interior.
    Any of you folks have any feed back on what it is like living with the non leather version, and if you regretted not waiting for the right leather pack example?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

I have the leather one, and have spent a lot of time in the cloth one as well. I can sum it up this way: If you are after the car for the way it drives and the engine, the leather won't matter. If you want the car for that, AND a lovely ride in comfort / luxury, then get the leather. @cletusb owns a cloth one and may be able to comment further.

Testing my memory but the luxury pack on the 6 adds only three things

1: (semi?)Leather seats
    2: Sun roof
    3: BOSE speakers

For me when I was looking at two different MPS 6s my decision was easy as the non-luxury had lower ks and better service and...

1: I don't really care for leather seats getting hot in summer etc
    2: Had a car with a sun roof, never used it except for once when I transported a bumper bar and the only way to fit it in the car was to have part of it sticking out of the roof lol
    3: I ripped out the stereo with an aftermarket system

I didn't feel the leather pack really adds a real amount of luxury to the car, or maybe better put doesn't adds to the enjoyment.

Maybe I'm just not refined enough haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast