User Tag List

Thread: Pathetic Fuel Economy MS3

Default Pathetic Fuel Economy MS3

Heys guys i have a 2006 ms3 and my fuel economy is just pathetic as to im receiving approx 280km per 52L tank. I know that this isn't right. My car does not backfire or have any sort of idling issues. I've serviced it not long ago, but i still get the same crap. Clock is approx @ 131000km, fuel being used is caltex 98. Could it possibly be im running an old firm-wire from mazda? any help would be appreciated.

Couple of things...
    How do you drive? Lots of stop/start or highway?
    Mods?
    Did the crap fuel economy just start? Or has it always been like this?
    When was last time you changed spark plugs?

Can you get logs?

ive driven like a granny on a whole tank of fuel to test it, and still got 280km. All my driving is suburban. There is a bit of stop/ start traffic. Crap fuel economy has been like this since i purchased the car back in march this year. The only mod is a turbosmart bov running full recirc. Plugs were changed approx 4000km ago with NGK. Unfortunately i dont have a tool to log my readings.

Plug gap?

Also, I'm confused: your car has gone from a 2007 MPS to a 2006 MS3 since your last post?

And you said you 'lubricated your catalytic converter' last time (still don't understand that one either) but are you sure the O2 sensor wasn't damaged/fouled during that process? If it's damaged, it could muck up your fuelling.

5. Default

Millage depends on your driving.You already mentioned that you have serviced your car recently.What kind of service you have done? Just recheck your AC/Electrical parts.Fuel consumption may effected heavily by your car AC.

I've been trying to work out all day how to help nicely without going all mazdaspeed forum on you.

is this in your previous thread about lubricating the catalytic converter?
    My suggestion, find yourself a new mechanic, or if your doing the work yourself, DON'T.

Like Lachlan, I wouldn't be surprised if this "lubricating the catalytic converter" has completely screwed the oxygen sensor or somehow caused the catalytic converter to collapse.

The build date is in 2006 but the rego papers say 2007 for some odd reason. The cat convertor was lubricated slight to prevent that odd squeaking noise "from previous post" it did not harm any sensors as this fuel issue has been going since i purchased the car. As for the gap of the plugs my mechanic just replaced them with the old ones, so im assuming the gap must already be set prior.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanneroo Mazda View Post
    Millage depends on your driving.You already mentioned that you have serviced your car recently.What kind of service you have done? Just recheck your AC/Electrical parts.Fuel consumption may effected heavily by your car AC.
    it was just a regular service, plugs, air filter, engine oil 15w 40 penrite full synthetic and also changed the gearbox oil. What do u mean by ac electrical parts mate? Thanks

Have you got an iPhone or Android?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    Have you got an iPhone or Android?

Yeah, i have an iphone

Ok look for a wifi obd2 plug on eBay. Blue tooth won't work on iPhone then get there is an app that can log, think it's called rev or something.. I'm not an iPhone user unfortunately. The android one is called torque.

I just so happen to have one of these available if you are interested. And yes, REV is the software to use. Or fuzzycar for a less pretty but still useful free one.

http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16690

Thanks for the guidance JMAC. Are you relating to Rev-lite or the full version? also just wanting to confirm if this is the correct product, "http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-WIFI-OBD2-OBDII-Wireless-Car-Diagnostic-Reader-Scanner-Adapter-for-iPhone-/360676506436?"

Lachlan how much do you want for your one.

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHROLL3R View Post
    Thanks for the guidance JMAC. Are you relating to Rev-lite or the full version? also just wanting to confirm if this is the correct product, "http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-WIFI-OBD2-OBDII-Wireless-Car-Diagnostic-Reader-Scanner-Adapter-for-iPhone-/360676506436?"

Lachlan how much do you want for your one.
    Click the link he provided you to see price

The elm stuff is hit and miss the plx ones are the bomb Lachlans one is a good price. You would need to look at the features on rev. I know what torque does but don't have an iPhone to try rev.

@Reedy can probably provide insight into the best iPhone apps?

Also get the maf and map sensors cleaned, wouldn't be surprised if they are covered in good old Mazda cake.

okay guys, so im waiting on delivery for an obd2 plug but in the meantime i have reset the ecu to factory settings. Where are the MAP/ MAF sensors located? I know that the MAP sensor is just beside the BOV.

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHROLL3R View Post
    okay guys, so im waiting on delivery for an obd2 plug but in the meantime i have reset the ecu to factory settings. Where are the MAP/ MAF sensors located? I know that the MAP sensor is just beside the BOV.
    MAF sensor is on your airbox/intake
    MAP sensor is on the drivers side of the intake manifold, tucked away in a shit of a position unless you have skinny hands and fingers

Picture with MAP sensor:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=224019
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 31-07-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings