User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: copy of ID Required

@edgeautosport Good reply.
    Do you usually do this before payment though? That would seem logical, given your explanation.
    Does this apply if people pay by a verified paypal account?

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    @edgeautosport Good reply.
    Do you usually do this before payment though? That would seem logical, given your explanation.
    Does this apply if people pay by a verified paypal account?
    This is a great question. Here's the bottom line, although we have big aspirations, Edge is 4 people right now. We don't have the ability to create customized software that works exactly like we want it to like Amazon can. Our website is basic in nature and we don't have the ability to do a bunch of fancy stuff with payment processing. For now, it is what it is.

PayPal is a great way to get around all of this. If you have a PayPal account, you can go through all the prequalifications to become "seller protection eligible". If you are, we don't ask any questions or ask for any ID. PayPal has predetermined you're a trusted buyer and actually takes all the risk for us. If for some reason, a fraudulent order came through for a seller protection eligible account, we are not liable, PayPal is. So that makes it super easy for us. The second we see that, the order is as good as can be and we'll ship, no questions asked.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeAutosport.com View Post
    I didn't read through this whole thread but I get the idea. Here are a few things to remember about us asking for IDs.

1. We do it for YOUR protection. If someone was using your card online after hacking your bank's website and we asked for an ID, they didn't abide, and we canceled the order, wouldn't you applaud us?
    2. We've been taken for THOUSANDS of dollars at once and many other small cases for credit card theft as have many other vendors. Unlike large corporations, we are a small business. I personally can't afford $3k orders to be charged back on us (and one time, they have).
    3. All the information we're asking for is information you've already given to us. We're asking you to confirm it. If you're afraid to send a license copy online, then you should be afraid to purchase online. We use gmail for our email and we have intense firewall settings due to the nature of our business. It's pretty hard for someone to breach our network. On top of that, we don't host a single piece of information here. Everything is in the cloud for us.
    4. We only require IDs for certain instances and only once for the customers that we do need it for. Typically, for purchases over a certain $ amount and purchases that are being shipped to a different shipping address than what the billing is. Both situations are for brand new customers only. Once we verify, we don't ever ask again.

We practice these rules because we have learned from experience. It is in our experience that someone that's unwilling to show an ID is usually someone that isn't worth allowing purchasing from our site. You mentioned our practices are "invasive" in an email. We have your address, phone, email, name, and what kind of car you drive now. You GAVE us this information without us asking. I can understand why there might be some frustration. However, I will not give up on this policy. 99% of people are fine with it. Some people even thank us. Believe it or not, we've had a forum member here in the states that is active on the forum, communicated with us about coupon codes, how to setup his car, told us to send him some stickers, etc. file a chargeback on us after using another person's card. I'll rephrase, the forum member was an active criminal that was going through the forum and defrauding as many companies as he could and he owned a Mazdaspeed 3.

This is why we do this. It's for you and us. It's not to make your life harder. It's to make everyone's life easier. To say our attempt to protect consumers is "shitty" is unreasonable IMO.

JP
    All im doing is telling people what to expect (because EdgeAutosport failed to do so) - if you have an issue with people knowing the requirements before they pay - maybe the requirements aren't reasonable.
    2005 6 MPS - Cobb AP - Auto tech HPFP internals - CorkSport RMM - 3inch ceramic coated downpipe - SRI - TIH - FMIC - Oil Catch Can - RayD tuned. 190kw@wheels, 410nm, 20psi.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeAutosport.com View Post
    This is a great question. Here's the bottom line, although we have big aspirations, Edge is 4 people right now. We don't have the ability to create customized software that works exactly like we want it to like Amazon can. Our website is basic in nature and we don't have the ability to do a bunch of fancy stuff with payment processing. For now, it is what it is.

PayPal is a great way to get around all of this. If you have a PayPal account, you can go through all the prequalifications to become "seller protection eligible". If you are, we don't ask any questions or ask for any ID. PayPal has predetermined you're a trusted buyer and actually takes all the risk for us. If for some reason, a fraudulent order came through for a seller protection eligible account, we are not liable, PayPal is. So that makes it super easy for us. The second we see that, the order is as good as can be and we'll ship, no questions asked.
    All that to say:

"No"

Having a note on the page before you click pay that says "please note you may be required to provide photo identification on first purchase" is not "fancy stuff". Just saying.
    2005 6 MPS - Cobb AP - Auto tech HPFP internals - CorkSport RMM - 3inch ceramic coated downpipe - SRI - TIH - FMIC - Oil Catch Can - RayD tuned. 190kw@wheels, 410nm, 20psi.

This is silly.

As a business owner I completely understand edge. I also understand the other side.

I still think is silly.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    This is silly.

As a business owner I completely understand edge. I also understand the other side.

I still think is silly.
    I understand the requirement.
    I just object to the surprise.
    Just glad I didn't order my new clutch and exhaust...or I would have been screwed out of a few hundred bucks in international transfer charges.

I don't know why you are acting so hard done by to be honest... Edge have been around for years, you've been around for 3 or so months and have no real context to some of the other vendors or suppliers which have been absolute train wrecks.

You paid your money, they asked for ID, you don't want to provide it so they'll refund you and you'll buy elsewhere - this is your choice and one of the liberties of a free market. No harm, no foul.

Edge have responded to you and presented their side of it. Move on and drop the crusade.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    I don't know why you are acting so hard done by to be honest... Edge have been around for years, you've been around for 3 or so months and have no real context to some of the other vendors or suppliers which have been absolute train wrecks.

You paid your money, they asked for ID, you don't want to provide it so they'll refund you and you'll buy elsewhere - this is your choice and one of the liberties of a free market. No harm, no foul.

Edge have responded to you and presented their side of it. Move on and drop the crusade.
    I didn't know that informing people of the possess (and my opinion of the process) was a crusade?

Thought other people might appreciate a heads up of what to expect - I sure would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Fever View Post
    Having a note on the page before you click pay that says "please note you may be required to provide photo identification on first purchase"
    This would be easy. Or even "unless you pay with a verified paypal account, blah blah blah."

But yeah, never been an issue for anyone else so far and edge have a good rep for everything else.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Can we lock this thread from further comments mods? Both sides have been explained in great detail. @Jamesa2z summed up this whole thread for future forum members. Lock it up an move on.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Can we lock this thread from further comments mods? Both sides have been explained in great detail. @Jamesa2z summed up this whole thread for future forum members. Lock it up an move on.
    Lock or delete IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 1CMS1 View Post
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Fever View Post
    All that to say:

"No"

Having a note on the page before you click pay that says "please note you may be required to provide photo identification on first purchase" is not "fancy stuff". Just saying.
    So giving a warning to fraudsters first that shit will need verifying is what all companies should do before the scammers attempt to rip people off?
    If someone did steal your details you would probably be one of the first to jump up and down asking why isn't there processes in place with companies to stop people using my money
    Big companies wil report suspect orders when proof can't be supplied..i applaud Edge for it, i have been a victim of CC theft.
    they start off with small amounts of around $20 purchases then once they see it works they go for the big dollars...read up on this stuff it happens non stop before getting on the high horse.
    Last edited by shaneski; 15-07-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Yeah, this has been commented on, and explained from Edge's side.

Most US companies want some kind of verification on international purchases. This has been in effect for years, and Edge's is pretty easy going to be honest. Most want to drop a test transaction on your card before you can purchase, and in the past I have not know this until purchase.

Australian Credit Cards in particular are difficult for US businesses, because our privacy laws restrict companies from verifying information.

Yes, Edge could have this information shown before actual purchase. No, it does not really matter as far as I am concerned.

And on that note, this thread is closed.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

For the record tire rack is in the same boat. No big deal.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123