User Tag List

Thread: looking for decent 17x8.5s!!

Default looking for decent 17x8.5s!!

Hey guys, I've been searching for ages for decent wheels that are available in 17x8.5, with our 5x114.3mmm lug fitment, and most definitely having an offset of between +30 to +45. Is there anyone who has that size for our cars?! I've searched on Rota Australia, Vision R, Koya, Speedy, West State Tyres etc... essentially no-one has 17x8.5 for me!

The reasoning is that I want to lose a bit more weight, gain some acceleration, and soak up some potholes without going wider than I already have. I currently have Rotas in 18x8.5 with +44 offset, tyres are 245/35, which makes for a good ride for sure but bumps can be a pain sometimes and I know a 17" wheel with more rubber can carry a closer weight to the stockers and give me some more comfort with pretty much the same contact patch.

Would it even be worth it to keep looking for this size compared to my current setup? Or would trying to grab 17x9 Rotas with +35 offsets and 255-wide tyres be better? Am I just not looking hard enough??

Thanks in advance!
    METAL, MOSHING, & MPS MAYHEM
    |
    JBR Stage 2 SRI | Turbosmart Kompact BPV | Ultimate Racing resonated CBE | CS SSP @ 35%; exhaust hanger bushings | Rota DPT "Fighter" matte black 18x8.5 +44 | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 245/35-series | ScanTool OBDLink LX | TWM "Big Type R" 600gr shift knob | MANY MORE INSTALLS TO COME...

2. Default

There are plenty of options out there. It just depends on your budget. I personally like the Enkei RPF1!

Quote Originally Posted by brandonjATCorkSport View Post
    There are plenty of options out there. It just depends on your budget. I personally like the Enkei RPF1!
    This ^
    They have 17x8 +45 and 17x8.5+40

4. Default

Light weight quality wheel for not to much money!

17x9 +45

I have nothing but compliments for these :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I know the RPF1's, personally I prefer fatter, evenly-spaced out spokes like the Grids or P45Rs that Rota stock, although I guess plenty of people like that look. But these are either expensive models for that size or somewhat difficult to find with an appropriate offset. Maybe if I search overseas I would have better luck?

Alternatively, I would definitely grab 17x9 if they wouldn't have too much rubbing if I wrapped in 255/40, but they come around 30-35 offsets which I'm on the fence about. I don't really want to stretch a tyre, but 245 could work too if they'd fit it on the wheel.
    |
    JBR Stage 2 SRI | Turbosmart Kompact BPV | Ultimate Racing resonated CBE | CS SSP @ 35%; exhaust hanger bushings | Rota DPT "Fighter" matte black 18x8.5 +44 | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 245/35-series | ScanTool OBDLink LX | TWM "Big Type R" 600gr shift knob | MANY MORE INSTALLS TO COME...

245 is a great fit for 9". You'd have no problems with getting it fitted to a 9" rim.
    I currently have 235, for the sole reason that Hankook don't make a 17" rs3 wider than 235

However I'm thinking about going a 255, so now sure what the story will be about rubbing once that's fitted.

Light, with fat even spokes, RX7 FD rims
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Yeah? That's awesome, although I prefer Hankook and I really wanted to try out the RS3's hahaha Although probably because it's winter at the moment I'd still stick with my Ventus Evo choice, pretty sure my vendor has 245/40-17, but he has 255/40 too which I'd prefer for the 9" wheel. That would no doubt see some rubbing in some situations I reckon.

The FD wheels are pretty much the style I like, not too much space between the fat spokes, but doesn't hide the brakes either, and 17" wheels would fit the calipers nice and snug too!
    |

Ok, so I've got the Rota Fighter/DPTs in 17x9 +35 lined up - the same design I have on already - and I'll probably wrap them with 245/40ZR17, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo or RS3, if West State Tyres gets back to me with that size in stock. I like the Fighters but I'll keep looking and see what else turns up.

Just out of curiosity what are the Koya wheels like? How's the quality? I like their custom fabbing options for PCDs and offset and stuff.

@2XS

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I run them on 3 of my 4 cars.
    Quality is as you'd expect for ADR.
    I rate them enough that I'm a reseller.

@2XS thanks mate, I'll take another look at them, +35 offset is pretty aggro and will poke without camber so Koya's custom options give me some more leeway

I have 18x9 +35 on mine.
    It's fine on the front but tight on the rear.