User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radar detectors

It's legal in WA only because your "parking sensors" accidentally jam their gun .

Blog Entries

@ parking sensors...that has to be the worst reason for legality I have ever heard!!

most radar detectors also pick up lidar (laser guns). Its pretty much as soon as you pick it up they have your speed. You might get a warning if you pick up a light reflection from another car but its pretty much point at you and they have your speed.
    There is a product called VEIL that you paint over your headlights and numberplate (as they are the most reflective points) It gives a reduced reflective image and gives you around 250m before the laser can get a lock. google VEIL there are heaps of videos on it.

Blog Entries

isnt that the stuff they "busted" on Mythbusters?

Quote Originally Posted by tricache View Post
    isnt that the stuff they "busted" on Mythbusters?
    i didnt see veil on it. There was other things though.

heres a link about it

Police laser: How to avoid getting nailed!
    Mods: Cobb AP Stage 2, Mazdaspeed CAI, HKS SSQ BOV, ETS TMIC Anodised Black, CPE turbo back with highflo cat, Autotech Hi-Volume Fuel Pump Upgrade, Cobb Turbo Inlet Hose, cobb stage 2 suspension,CPE engine mount,Denso ITV22 Plugs, Dashhawk,TWM Shifter base bushings, JBR shift plate, MT90 transmission fluid, blacked out badges, carbon fibre mirror covers, led rear turn signals, JL sub in custom eclosure,JL amp, Eclipse AVN763Ea, 6000K HID.

I must concur with Jenx, V1's defintely are the sh1t.

Excellent detection range vs Multanova, averages > 300m. I've got 2 of them. 1 in the 3 & 1 in wifey's Vitara. Mine has slightly better coverage than the other as it has newer software installed. (factory upgradable only)

Both are mounted on the mirror stalk (google 'chotis engineering v1') a few similar mounts are available.

8. Default looking into spending hard earned money on car

Hi all, new to the forum a mate recommended it looking forward to joining the community. Im from bunbury wa and this thread has caught my eye so I though i would post here first. I have been thinking of buying one of these devices for a while but never had the 'spare coin' ive seen Radar detectors and laser defence in Australia. sell the whistlers, anyone here used these on a lot of multanova setups?

to: 3ONBOOST
    you say the V1 is the best i noticed they are selling them at Radar Detectors, Laser Jammers, GPS & Bluetooth Systems in Australia for a good price should i buy one of these over a whistler?

any comments appreciated,

David

Basic points:
    - They are still legal in WA.
    - Forget eBay for o/s buys - spend decent money and get a decent one configured for local conditions.
    - Get one set up to at least detect Poliscans (laser) cameras, as well as Multanova. You can expect to pay around $500-600 minimum.
    - Read about the conditions speed cameras can legally be operated under. The Govt will try to throw fines at you from cameras located under non-optimal conditions. The Net will give you the correct operating specs for all cameras.
    - Keep notes to accompany any overt signs of detection (flashes).
    - Be aware that Poliscans will get you from the back too.
    - The Net will tell you which shops to look at. Avoid the dodgy operators who sell crap.
    - No detector will save you 100% of the time, subject to just how stupid you are. I happen to believe that detector users are often just better informed road users, although the converse is not true, nor does it apply automatically. There are some really stupid detectors users. Stupidity is not cancelled out by electronics.
    - I 'm avoiding naming brands and shops and referring to specific capabilities of devices for obvious reasons - do your own research. I support the freedom of agencies to sell detectors and I don't think we should make the Govt pro-banner's jobs easier by naming them here, or defining the methods of detection used.
    - PM me if you need dealers names and brands.
    - Additional points, added after re-reading the above posts:
    - Forget spray-on "radar screens" and reflective coatings or covers on number plates. None of them work.
    - For the detractors scribing here, good detectors DO work and give lots of notice unless you are driving at insane speeds. Bad ones will false or not detect at all. As I said, buy rubbish and you will get rubbish performance.
    - Not all radar detectors will sense laser, so get one that does. A good one will sense laser well before you are inside it's legal range of operation - see my note above re operating specs.
    - A good detector will sense Multanova well outside their specified operating range.
    - In both laser and radar cases it's up to you to react in time. It may be hard to react in time if the sensors are concealed or around corners or if you are travelling too fast - that's not the equipment's fault.
    - These are all good reasons to get ones configured for local use. The US and even other Oz states use different frequencies.
    - I run the best detector going - bar none. It's smart and it cost a lot. The price still makes my eyes water but I hate having the Govt justifying revenue raising from the only detectable parameter (speed) when there is so much other crap on the roads that they ignore because they can't make $$ out of it. And I hate people pointing radar and lasers at me - period. I think it's an invasion of my rights to live free of EMR as much as possible. As a mere point of interest, a detector will tell you just how saturated the airwaves are with it.
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 02-03-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: updated
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Radar Direct - Radar Detectors, laser detectors and jammer products

have valentine1 radars and BEltronics STI tuned to the NZ/AU Market

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Not sure if these guys can post over seas or not but if you want to buy one from them and you cant gettem sent ill send em over for you.. if you like/need..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123