User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Perception of MPS's amongst other performance car owners

Quote Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
    You definately can beat SS and XR6 turbos and lib GTI's ... and lots of cars admittedly the surprise factor gets you over the line against the big guns but that is part of the joy in it esp in the 6. Ive lost track of how many times Ive done it then at the next set of lights you see them totally checking out your car to work out what it is, its a bigger slap for them too when they see a girl driving
    Hoon

CES "SS" TBE | SURE "Aeros" SRI | SURE "Sidewinder" TIP | SURE "Return" Recirc Hose | CUSTOM "PWR Core" FMIC | Hypertech "Tuned" | Turbosmart "Atmo" BOV | MSD DashHawk | CP-e REM | SURE "Anchors" Shifter Bushings | JBR SSP and Weight | JBR Heavy Knob |Redline Hood Quick LIFT ELITE | TEIN "SS" Coilovers | Front - Rear HOTCHKIS Swaybars | Front - Rear DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors | A1RM Brake Pads | 18x8 +45 Tenzo-R Cuzco Black V1 | 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | Safe n' Sound baby Seat lol

haha only just noticed this thread tonight and just so happens on my way home from work i had some lebo guy in a magna with rims and tinted windows and exhaust wanting to "try" get infront of me at the lights full reving his car. so once the lights went green i punched it and left him behind.(im not one to back down,but only if its safe and in the clear to do so).. next lights he pulled up next to me agen and wound his window down and was asking me wat the car was.. all i said to him was 'its just a mazda 3' and he just gave me the wtf face and by that time the lights turned green and i turned the corner.

love people asking about the car and love giving them the most simplest of anwers and yet not really revealing the true identity of the car other than its still a mazda 3
    CURRENT: 2009 VW Passat R36

PREVIOUS: 2008 Mazda 3 MPS

Ohh the stories. So similar

I had a worked on VS SS ute with dumped exhaust etc try me twice on the Goldcoast Hwy last Wed, once rolling and then the next lights.

I was honestly shocked how much I pawned him. The following lights I calmly wound my window down b4 he rolled up (I had no interest in another round, just wanted to see if he had something to say). As I ignored him and looked straight ahead he leaned across his GF and asked with a shocked look what was under the hood, I simply stated it was stock but as he kept insisting I told him it was just a 2.3ltr fourpot. The look on his face was priceless.

I still grin as I recall his comment when the lights changed " that thing is off its f***ing head mate". Ahhh the simpleton
    08 VW GTI PIRELLI DSG - 1 OF 400
    S3 HEART WITH 229 kw OF APR GOODNESS

SOLD - 06 MPS3 / CPE CAI / CPE HKS BOV / CPE HV2 BELLMOUTH DUMP & METALLIC CAT / CPE MOUNT / COBB SUSPENSION / DBA SLOTTED ROTORS C/W HAWKS PADS

Blog Entries

These stories are great....

I have a mate with a WRX, big turbo, chipped and all the other goodies that go with those type of mods...one spin in my car and he was like- OMG- you will kill my WRX!

I then went for a spin in is car- Would i beat his car? Not sure, but he certainly thinks I would.

Quote Originally Posted by EVILMPS View Post
    I think I have to agree with BB on the fact that most people don't know what we've got.
    I like the idea of having a sleeper that only the truly observant car lovers know what hides under the bonnet...

I'm not a big one for BOV's and all that stuff, but I like the idea of scaring the crap outta someone when you leave them for dead, accelerating away from them!!!

Girl's Car? Shopping trolley?? Let 'em think that, will keep the tossers out of our beloved MPS's and keep them in WRX's and Skylines...
    Deano, I think with your roof rack bars, you've got the best sleeper in the MPS world

However the decepticon stickers kinda look like the MFP badge from Mad Max
    R36 - Just like an MPS6 except with a growly V6

not sure on this beating VE SS business... i have been stomped bad by one while back...

and dont even try R8's less you are moded and chipped !! haha.. was rather embarrassing... specially when the guy waved good bye... haha BUT.. thats what 60G's should get you... beating 4 bangers !! haha... would have liked to take him through the twistys though...

i cant touch an R8, i got beaten in one driving a c63 AMG Wagon! but a VE SS can't shake my once we are rolling and if he cant launch then bye! ( ok maybe not but i can stay in front thru a few gears).....mind you, this is all irrelevant for you mps owners, as im talking about my evil, yucky xr5!
    Last edited by MaN|aC; 21-05-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Maybe you need to blow the cobwebs out of your car Paul. I've only been smoked by one V8 and it sounded modded. It was in the rain too, oh the shame of it.

My favourite V8 encounter was a GTS in a national park. I could only see his eyes in the mirror, but only an MPS owner knows the look he had when we got to the second bend and I was still there. He'd looked in the mirror for that reassurance that his latest victim was left way behind, but it wasn't so. He was shocked and angry at the same time. How could a Mazda 6 be keeping up with his $110k bogan mobile? I needed to be taught a lesson so he pushed harder.

I could hear him reving the tits off it, could hear the tyres squealing in the bends and could smell his brakes so I know he was trying. After about ten minutes I was still nailed to his rear bumper, in fact under brakes and in the bends he was holding me up. Shame there were no overtaking opportunities. By this stage he looked wounded. He couldn't take any more so he headed for a car parking area.

Admittedly I knew the road well, but his car supposedly had 55% more power with only about 12% more weight. In theory I shouldn't have been able to keep up.

Apart from a souped-up R34 it was the only non-Mazda that I've encountered that was roughly equal in performance to the MPS. I think the reason for the performance parity is likely to be that his car actually had no where near the claimed 307kw, and my car had more than the claimed 190kw. And with the extra weight he was carrying our power to weight ratios were almost identical.

The reason I say this is there was an independent testing body in Europe who used to test the actual power output of new cars using an axle dyno. I don't know if they're still around and I can't find their website. But I remember seeing their data which showed they had tested the MPS6 at a high figure, I think at around 190kw at the wheels, while the Audi RS4 which is claimed to have 309kw at the flywheel only turned about 230kw at the wheels (that's a lot less than drive train loss would account for). It generated quite a bit of discussion at the time and speculation that Mazda had understated the power of the MPS while most other manufacturers were exaggerating their power claims.
    Last edited by kmh001; 21-05-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Gone to Volvo

i wish both the mps3 and xr5 had 4wd
    or at least revoknuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    not sure on this beating VE SS business... i have been stomped bad by one while back...

and dont even try R8's less you are moded and chipped !! haha.. was rather embarrassing... specially when the guy waved good bye... haha BUT.. thats what 60G's should get you... beating 4 bangers !! haha... would have liked to take him through the twistys though...

Maybe your not trying hard enough lol.....VE SS have nothing on a rolling start ...even off the line if they are bad a take offs.....

Now about R8's .....from a rolling start in my case 100km/h they arent that much quicker ...and the look on this guys face was priceless .... i will never get tired of the double take as we(MPS's) pass them

Modded WRX's on the parkway .....always end up asking "what have you done to it?"

"nothing mate its stock"

""

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MaN|aC View Post
    i cant touch an R8, i got beaten in one driving a c63 AMG Wagon! but a VE SS can't shake my once we are rolling and if he cant launch then bye! ( ok maybe not but i can stay in front thru a few gears).....mind you, this is all irrelevant for you mps owners, as im talking about my evil, yucky xr5!
    I like XR5's

Especially Orange ones with black stripes

---------- Post added at 10:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    My favourite V8 encounter was a GTS in a national park. I could only see his eyes in the mirror, but only an MPS owner knows the look he had when we got to the second bend and I was still there. He'd looked in the mirror for that reassurance that his latest victim was left way behind, but it wasn't so. He was shocked and angry at the same time. How could a Mazda 6 be keeping up with his $110k bogan mobile? I needed to be taught a lesson so he pushed harder.

I could hear him reving the tits off it, could hear the tyres squealing in the bends and could smell his brakes so I know he was trying. After about ten minutes I was still nailed to his rear bumper, in fact under brakes and in the bends he was holding me up. Shame there were no overtaking opportunities. By this stage he looked wounded. He couldn't take any more so he headed for a car parking area.

Admittedly I knew the road well, but his car supposedly had 55% more power with only about 12% more weight. In theory I shouldn't have been able to keep up.

Yeah but you drive like your car is on fire Mal....

Any trouble keeping up with MPS3's
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by LYNCHY View Post
    Maybe your not trying hard enough lol.....VE SS have nothing on a rolling start ...even off the line if they are bad a take offs.....
    HA.. i was to trying !! by the time i got traction in 3rd gear he was pulling away hard... had zorst on it was so loud... and excedy clutch sticker in window.. which hinted something else done... but still... what the point of claiming u beat stock... every man and his dog puts an exhaust on there SS or car these days...

i dunno... ive gotten a skyline... was shiter though... kept up to the boot of a fairly modded STi (all i had was intake).... showed a VY SS whats what... had my doors blown off by the R8.... other then that haven't really pulled up against anything else to test it....

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    HA.. i was to trying !! by the time i got traction in 3rd gear he was pulling away hard... had zorst on it was so loud... and excedy clutch sticker in window.. which hinted something else done... but still... what the point of claiming u beat stock... every man and his dog puts an exhaust on there SS or car these days...

i dunno... ive gotten a skyline... was shiter though... kept up to the boot of a fairly modded STi (all i had was intake).... showed a VY SS whats what... had my doors blown off by the R8.... other then that haven't really pulled up against anything else to test it....

meh im just happy to be able to keep up ....VE SS round the twistys is hilarious to watch there anger raise...

Maybe the R8 was playing with me

I know our car hammers as i remember one trying to go me on my GSXR 600 ...it had no hope but still did well compared to your average bogan mobile so yeah ......
    マツダスピード

Quote Originally Posted by kmh001 View Post
    The reason I say this is there was an independent testing body in Europe who used to test the actual power output of new cars using an axle dyno. I don't know if they're still around and I can't find their website. But I remember seeing their data which showed they had tested the MPS6 at a high figure, I think at around 190kw at the wheels, while the Audi RS4 which is claimed to have 309kw at the flywheel only turned about 230kw at the wheels (that's a lot less than drive train loss would account for). It generated quite a bit of discussion at the time and speculation that Mazda had understated the power of the MPS while most other manufacturers were exaggerating their power claims.
    I'm not sure I can 100% believe that with all the US dynos floating around. I've seen enough stock dynos of the Speed6 to believe they're usually around 200-220 awhp. Some modded ones aren't even breaking 260awhp which is around the 190wkw. I would love it to be true though.
    Nuliaj: Hatches are only really half a car anyway.
    shinslinger66: And you forgot to add that they are also a girls car!

I agree, I normally have zero interest in the worthless power figures derived from chassis dyno's. But what I thought was interesting with these axle dyno numbers was the relativity. They could have been measuring it with elastic band stretch, it wouldn't have mattered. What did matter was that the differences between cars was not at all consistent with the power outputs claimed by the manufacturers.

The weight-shifted horsepower calculations I've done in the past have always shown that power claims are exaggerated, that's not new, but I do think that Mazda has understated the output of the DISI engine, or at least not overstated it the way many manufacturers do. There's no other way to explain how an MPS can smoke a stock 260kw SS.

It would be nice if someone would put a DISI engine on an engine dyno and resolve this question.

Gone to Volvo

15. Default

Its not always about how much power, its about torque. SS commies have a lot of kW, but not much torque. Eg. my MPS with 206kW and 430Nm of torque vs a 260kW SS commie with only 300Nm of torque, the MPS will blow it every day of the week and twice on Sundays...

Its not kW mate, its torque thats the winner, not to mention, most commies will sit at the lights spinning their wheels (due to their lack of sophistocated electronics such as DSC and TC).

I myself have blown a few SS's, and a whole bunch of Sti's as well, so its not uncommon.

Also, in terms of kW at the motor, I am sure the stats provided by Mazda are pretty close. Drivetrain losses from the motor to the wheels is approx 20-25%, so if you took the avg dyno's for stockies as being approx 158kW ATW, and multiply by say 1.22 (22%) for the loss, then you get 192kW at the flywheel, which isnt far from the rated 190 at the motor on the car specs...

Blog Entries

Ummm.... a stock SS is currently 270KW and 530NM torque, not 300.

Haha I was wondering where that 300Nm came from. The benefit of big V8s is torque

Interesting you mention the lack of DSC and TC since most of us will turn ours off if we're trying to take off quickly. I've seen a lot of commonwhores take off from the line very quickly and with minimal wheelspin. Some of those guys are obviously very experienced at traffic light grand prixs.

18. Default

oops, but then again, Nm vs weight

My MPS -> 430Nm @ 1450kg = 0.3Nm / kg
    SS -> 530Nm @ 1770kg = 0.3Nm / kg

Pretty close match if you ask me, but the MPS torque comes on earlier in the RPM band...

And all that considered, it comes down to the driver!

Our poor fat MPS6 does 0.23 Nm /kg

20. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    Our poor fat MPS6 does 0.23 Nm /kg
    Plus you'll be upwards of 25% drivetrain loss due to the AWD.. More wheels to put power down, more drivetrain loss...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast