User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil catch

Default oil catch

hi all qucik question here..

my next item on my list to do's is an oil catch
    is this

Alloy Tanks & Catch Cans : Alloy 2L Oil Catch Tank

any different to install when compared to an equivilent JBR,CS,SURE OCC?
    am liking this one due to half the price of importing from the states and i am able to drive there to pick it up.

thanks

Default oil catch

I did some research into ventilated cans on MSF and decided it wasn't worth it.

A) Not sure if ventilated is legal in NZ?
    B) You won't have any suction (from the intake manifold) pulling on the PVC to help it work the way it was designed to, so crappier pressure control and expulsion of crap.

If you do get it, you would need something to block off the intake manifold. If you are connecting it to the CC as well (like corksport does?) then you would need to block off the intake port as well. And hose of the right diameter to fit to the PVC/CC ports.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lachlan; 13-06-2014 at 01:33 PM.
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

to be honest, I would suggest getting one specifically for the MPS as it will include all the hoses you need at the right size. Just less hassles.

however if you can be assed getting all the fittings and hoses, then it should be the same. The main thing to watch for is to see if there are any baffles in the can do actually separate the oil.

also it doesn't need to have an intake connection as its positive pressure going into the catch can. the connection to the intake is merely to recirculate the blowby and burn it off in the engine.

thanks for replies...next question what would be best brand to go with? im thinking jbr due to buying the short shift kit next pay

Probably save you shipping if you are getting a shift kit from JBR. however for comparison, I've got a Damond kit with the Saikou Michi catch can OCC | Damond Motorsports

Damond kit includes a new PCV check valve

This has some good info on routing
    http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...iaries-141095/

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

Quick hijack, does anyone know if the version 1 Damond Motorsport occ will fit in its intended mount position with the hdi GT2 intercooler piping routed below the intake?

thanks
    Last edited by Mspec; 06-07-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Bump

so iv had my damond occ hooked up on the car for a month now and have done around 2000kms, iv checked it at 500km like the instructions sugested and theres been no fluid build up...how ever today when i had a look the was a very fine film of oil around the drain plug, this normal? going to have the car up on the jacks tomorrow and have a look

Honestly, took mine a while to start catching oil from new. Check it in another 500kms and report back

already been 2000km... i did do a fresh oil change at the same time i did occ. could this be why it isnt collectiong anything?

Hey @kiwi What is your hose routing like? Check valve? Is it the right way around and on the right hose? Is the oil drain perhaps leaking and the fluid is constantly draining? Can you hear suction through the can at idle (I.e. It is leaking and creating a vac leak - I had this)?

Thanks @Lachlan I had the car running yesterday and took the drain plug out and it had a vaccum going...put the plug back in and it went quiet. So I assume there's no leaks when the unit is sealed. Pretty confident that every thing is hooked up right but will have a closer look when I have the car up

this is much came out of my OCC after 2000km and 1 track day. Brand new engine too.

Nasty

Eh, it's what it's there for.

Better in the catch can than back into the intake.

17. Default

Surprised you get nothing in the catch can. Every 5000k i get a bit less than what Reedy does, ive got the Damond OCC with check valve setup.

so i had a look yesterday when replacing my skid tray (damn builders and there loose off cuts) from what i saw there are no leaks, everything is hooked up correctly. could it be my engine is just really clean?

Doubt it, but I guess it's possible. Definitely no cv between the PVC and can? PVC not blocked of anything?

theres a check valve there between the IM and the OCC and a straight hose between the PCV and the OCC. and when the car is running it is running smoothly and there is a vaccum in the can when the plug is out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast