User Tag List

Thread: Speaky wong sound

Default Speaky wong sound

Hi guys im new to this forum and would kindly appreciate any help with this matter. I own a 2007 3mps and its developed this rather annoying squeaking wong wong sound. I have read the definitive gearbox post and i have changed my gear box oil to the penrite 75w90 full synthetic, but the noise is still there. It occurs after driving for a few mins. It doesn't matter if its cold or warm weather. Mostly recognizable on low speeds <25 kmph applying some clutch and throttle. Its also very noise upon driving over a speed hump. The noise isnt to loud when cruising in 3rd - 4th gear. I dont know where to start looking and the noise is a real pain. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Does it make the noise while coasting? ( safely and briefly taking it out of gear whilst moving) how long have you owned the car? What k's has it done? Have you recently had any work done or changed/added any parts?
    Last edited by Mspec; 05-06-2014 at 07:20 PM.

it makes the sound just for a split second while coasting. I've owned the car since march this year. Its almost done 130000km. Car is stock except for a BOV. In regards to the Penrite 75w90 its the pro series GL5. Im not sure if i should switch to 75W85. I'm confused as im not 100% sure its the LSD. I have uploaded the sound clip. Heres the link: http://www.filedropper.com/memo i was going up a driveway just applying some clutch and throttle.
    Last edited by HIGHROLL3R; 05-06-2014 at 09:22 PM.

the wong wong noise is when you are turning, not while driving straight. the frequency of wong wong gets quicker as you speed up.

if you are getting a squeeking noise going over bumps, then its a different noise not coming from the gearbox. it sounds like a belt issue if the noise happens when giving initial throttle

edit: just had a listen to the sound clip. definately not the wong wong noise. Not sure if that was recorded while you were driving or parked, but it may be the VCT?
    Last edited by lup15; 05-06-2014 at 10:30 PM.

I turned the steering all the way and turned and i had no issue. I drove for approx 7min then i began recording as i was going up into my drive way while applying some throttle and clutch. another example is if i'm cruising in say 3rd gear at a low speed i can hear the squeak as the car is dropping RPM's. There is no sound while the car is parked.

Just listened to your sound clip, very interesting indeed, it sounds like it's coming from the clutch somewhere (in the sound clip it sounded like it started when the clutch engaged) perhaps a worn clutch release bearing? or some rattle in a pressure plate?

It actually sounds more like you've got a dove stuck under your car than a wong sound.

haha yeah its pretty annoying. I was thinking it could be the thrust bearing. But will the thrust bearing have an effect even if im in gear and cruising a low speeds, as the sound can be heard on any uneven surface.

I would think it would but someone more experienced should jump in soon

yeah that would be good. I am getting it put on a hoist by next fri. Mechanic reckons its probably the bushes or something to do with the suspension.

@HIGHROLL3R have you progressed any further with this?

Okay guys problem is solved!! The sound was coming from the inside the cat converter and it just required lubrication.

Interesting thanks for the update

Cats require lubrication?

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

A teaspoon of olive oil brings the furballs out