User Tag List

Thread: New Member from Brisbane

Default New Member from Brisbane

Hi all,

I am from Brisbane and currently own a 2007 CX7 2.3 turbo.

Its my third (well technically fourth) Mazda.

The first was a 1993 Ford Laser (Mazda 323) 1.6l carby model.

Around 2005 my wife and I bought a new 3 Maxxsport 2litre which we had for 5 years.

The last car I drove before upgrading to the CX7 was a 1993 626 2.5litre V6 auto that I owned for a couple of years.

I am currently planning some mods to the CX7 to get its power up above stock MPS6 levels. Stock the CX7 is 175kW vs MPS6 190kW.

Welcome to the forum mate, there are tons of threads about modding these engines around here. Should provide hours of informative reading.

Hey mate, welcome. Haven't heard about upgrades for CX7's except maybe at ChipTorque in Brisbane. I'm sure a few experts here could tell us why there is a difference in power. Would it be to look after the drive train? Actually is the drive train the same as a MPS6? Hmmm...
    @MissJody9 organises a few meets so look out for her posts.

Versatuner does cx7 DISI tuning

Just a word of warning, the stock turbo on a cx7 is smaller than mps

From Wiki... The MZR 2.3L DISI turbo engine found in the Mazdaspeed3 and Mazdaspeed6 has been retuned in the North American-Specv CX-7 to deliver torque at a lower rpm for less turbo lag off the line, at the cost of power. This was achieved thanks to a redesigned, smaller KO4 turbocharger. UK-Spec CX-7's feature the same, larger KO4 turbocharger and transmission found in the Mazdaspeed line.

6. Default

welcome!

Welcome

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. This is much friendlier than that other site based in the US

I have been lurking and started my extensive reading of the forums a couple of weeks ago and I am still finding out new and interesting things each day.

My plan of exactly what to do to the CX7 is still coming together and I have to decide whether to do it all at once or spread the joy (and cash-flow) over a few months. I will start a new thread for this.

Yes the Oz CX7 has the smaller K04 and produces 175kW vs the MPS6 190kW stock. I didn't know the UK had the MPS turbo, it makes more sense now that Jeremy Clarkson rated it in his top 25 vehicles Clarkson's Top 25 Cars - BBC Top Gear Australia

I am waiting to hear back from Stratified about a recommended turbo upgrade for my performance targets and then planning to go with a Versatune tuning bundle.

The CX7 has an automatic only 6 speed AWD transmission in Oz. So my awhp will always be lower than a 3MPS fwhp or a 6MPS awhp for the same mods and engine power. I think I will lose about 15% efficiency vs a MPS6 manual transmission. On the bright side I suspect the BOV won't be as busy on gear changes and the turbo should stay spooled up.

The transmission should be able to handle some increase in torque from the stock 350Nm. I am not sure what will limit maximum torque, the transmission or the stock engine internals???

Pretty sure the transmission will go cactus before the engine internals

US site is fine, think there's a cx7 going bnr s3 at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Pretty sure the transmission will go cactus before the engine internals

US site is fine, think there's a cx7 going bnr s3 at the moment
    Yeah they have been fine, all the pre warnings are a bit ominous though. They really don't like repeating themselves.

There is a CX7 going BT (Holset top mount), haven't seen a thread for a CX7 S3 yet. Will take another look now.

Here are some comments on the transmission

Quote Originally Posted by torquemaniac View Post
    Im looking into this right now...Volvo guys are pushing this same transmission (A-80 SC) to 440 ft*lbs of torque with regular fluid maintenance...I aim for 400awtq with my HY35, so I should be OK for now
    From my reading so far 400 ft. lbs. is about all I should be putting through stock internals. This is over 500 Nm. So if I can get an improvement over stock from 350Nm to 500Nm and not too much drop off at higher revs it would transform the vehicle while hopefully not over stressing the stock internals and transmission.