User Tag List

Thread: 06 MPS 3, aftermarket head unit, stock sub

Default 06 MPS 3, aftermarket head unit, stock sub

Installed an after market head unit.
    Wiring harness all ok (except for a minor grounding issue).
    Would be nice to use the car's aux in ...

How in the world do I connect the factory bose sub to the after market head unit? Is there some magic bose harness to rca plug out there?

hey mate. Check out my head unit installation how to http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/how-s...-controls.html. particularly about wiring RCAs to the harness under the Installation section, first 4 steps.

I'm not sure if the 6 wiring is the same, but the Bose sub on the 3 doesn't have its' own inputs from the headunit. Rather it gets its' signal from the speaker inputs on the bose amp.

The only difference from then to now is that I would suggest finding some twisted pair RCA cables. This has the positive and negative cables already separated so makes it much easier to wire up. Ive just done this a few days ago. I'll change the pictures in my how-to

Thanks for the reply, lup15. I'll take a look at that thread.

I've updated the how-to with making the RCA using twisted pair

Quote Originally Posted by tonyamazing View Post
    Installed an after market head unit.
    Wiring harness all ok (except for a minor grounding issue).
    Would be nice to use the car's aux in ...

How in the world do I connect the factory bose sub to the after market head unit? Is there some magic bose harness to rca plug out there?
    @tonyamazing if you don't mind me asking where is this so called sub? I have the bose system in my 3 MPS but I don't really notice bass that I would expect from any kind of subwoofer even with bass set to max. The bass I get could be produced via a good set of 6.5" 2 way drivers that were sufficiently amplified. Is it a really small 6" sub hidden somewhere? Im starting to think mazda put a 6" BLT sub from subway in mine.
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

@Mspec I might be mistaken, but I think there's a sub underneath the passenger seat.

I've had the unit installed for a few days now and it doesn't seem to be any less bass-y than it was with the stock unit so I'm not really sure what's happening. It could be that the bose sub (if it exists, lol) is getting it's input from the other channels via the harness.

(I have no idea what I'm talking about ...)

Edit: Yup, @lup15's post above

"the 3 doesn't have its' own inputs from the headunit. Rather it gets its' signal from the speaker inputs on the bose amp."
    Last edited by tonyamazing; 01-06-2014 at 09:46 PM.

@lup15, mate would wiring up the head unit like you have done, RCAs to the harness, help eliminate static noise?

I'm getting static on all sources of the headunit regardless of whether or not the engine is on (with a min volume of 1). Revving the engine doesn't make a difference to the static so I don't think that it's a grounding issue.

Oh and I have a Mazda 3, btw. The 06 was reference to the year. I should have just said Gen 1 MPS 3 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mspec View Post
    @tonyamazing if you don't mind me asking where is this so called sub? I have the bose system in my 3 MPS but I don't really notice bass that I would expect from any kind of subwoofer even with bass set to max. The bass I get could be produced via a good set of 6.5" 2 way drivers that were sufficiently amplified. Is it a really small 6" sub hidden somewhere? Im starting to think mazda put a 6" BLT sub from subway in mine.
    The bose sub in the MPS3 is under the passenger seat. After I changed the headunit to aftermarket, I can say that the sound is much cleaner than with the stock system. Reason for this is that I can set my own DSP and equaliser.

I'm now going to take that one step further by adding a separate sub so that I can clean out the sound from the speakers. That is, remove low frequency bass. I've opted to replace the bose underseat sub for a Focal ibus 20 underseat sub. A review of it will come shortly hopefully once I install it this weekend.

The stock bose sub is probably playing subbass but you just cant hear it properly cause the door speakers are also reproducing bass. Vice versa where the sub is playing mid-bass. Having said that, the stock bose sub is probably not equipped to play the amount (loudness) and frequency (low notes) of bass a standalone proper sub would.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyamazing View Post
    @lup15, mate would wiring up the head unit like you have done, RCAs to the harness, help eliminate static noise?

I'm getting static on all sources of the headunit regardless of whether or not the engine is on (with a min volume of 1). Revving the engine doesn't make a difference to the static so I don't think that it's a grounding issue.

Oh and I have a Mazda 3, btw. The 06 was reference to the year. I should have just said Gen 1 MPS 3 or something.
    How do you currently have it wired up? Is the sound of music very loud even at low volume 1-5? Are you using the speaker outputs of the headunit to the bose amp? If you are getting static noise from the speakers with the engine off, its noise being generated by the source or noise entering the system (eg. the power cable is next to the RCA). That noise can then be amplified depending how you have it wired. I do suspect that if you change to the RCA method, it will be much improved.

I also get noise using the RCA method as it's not possible to adjust the gain on the bose amp. But its nothing I can hear over music. The static noise also increases as the volume increases. Does yours do that? Unfortunately this cannot be removed unless going with an aftermarket amp.

That makes sense thanks I might have a wee inspection under my passenger seat

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

@lup15 currently wired harness to harness. No RCAs.

Yes, loud at relatively low volume levels (adjustable in HU settings).

Static increases as volume increases (slowly) but is definitely inaudible with music playing. Just slightly annoying when starting the car with no music playing.

I might try tour rca method on the weekend. Thanks.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Yea, I can almost guarantee it will sound much better after your changed over to RCAs. Also another note, try to get RCAs where the connecter is covered with plastic rather than metal. Just helps keeps things noise free as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice. JayCar for the rcas or somewhere else? Maybe eBay?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Easy solution to getting the BOSE amp to work is cut the amp wire on the cars harness and connect it to the cars power wire.

Thats how I did it on mine.

Jaycar or ebay, doesn't really matter. Just dont get a 5m one.... shorter the better

I got a stinger one which was 0.5m. Paid $20 from a car audio store. Total rip job but I wanted to finish the RCA that day.

@lup15, dude your RCA tutorial / method worked a treat!!! The static, whilst arguably still there, is barely noticeable and is quieter at full volume now than it was at 1 before.

The bass is also much more noticable. I'm guessing this is because harness to harness was double amp-ing the speakers but not the sub, and now that the speakers are no longer double amped the sub is relatively louder.

Win. I'll comment in the other thread as well to thank you twice

Awesome, glad it worked out