User Tag List

Thread: Turbos seals

1. Default Turbos seals

Hey all,

New to the site and my first post! So take it easy on me please lol.

I own an 08 MPS loving it great car.

My car has done 120 000km and the other day I saw some dreaded white/blue smoke after idling for 5 minutes (not a substantial amount but enough to catch my attention from my rear view mirror). Can confirm is the turbo. My turbo is still in working order, I believe around 10% loss of power. I can't seem to find any clear cut information that can help me on this matter without spending a bomb. As my turbo isn't completely blown I wish to repair/rebuild. What are some options going forward. I've heard mixed things about rebuilding a turbo. What's to say it's only 1 or 2 small components and a rebalancing. I understand the labour to remove and reinstate the turbo is substantial but the rebuild itself? I've been quoted around $1000 from my mechanic.

All thoughts welcome.

Regards,

Anth.

Hoping to hear some suggestions or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May as well pick up a second hand one for $250-300

Or look to replace:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17697

If you want to try and mask the problem for a while you could try running a 5w40 full synthetic oil (if you aren't already). The thicker oil won't push past the turbo seal as easy, and 5w40 is still within the specs for the engine. If it's been a while since an oil change your oil has probably sheared down anyway making it thinner again.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

+1 on second hand no smoker, some also put a restrictor banjo bolt in the oil feed but that is also a mask of the issue

Sent from my HTC One X

5. Default

Yeah I've heard of the 5w40 oil and will use this. I'd like to fix the problem rater then mask it. So is a rebuild my best bet? Second hand turbos.. I mean if they are to come with warranty and have a decent history that would be worth it, but where can I find something reputable?

Quote Originally Posted by pellie View Post
    Yeah I've heard of the 5w40 oil and will use this. I'd like to fix the problem rater then mask it. So is a rebuild my best bet? Second hand turbos.. I mean if they are to come with warranty and have a decent history that would be worth it, but where can I find something reputable?

Can find a rebuild kit on eBay... Think they're about $60...

Won't get a warranty on a used one... Brand new are $800+

It's a known issue with the design of the turbo (yes, it sucks, but ah well) so rebuilding will just delay it happening for a while...

Honestly, easiest thing is to either use this as an excuse to upgrade, or get a second hand non-smoker, think @LittleredMPS has one sitting around...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

7. Default

Non smoker?? I was planning to take it to a friend of mine who has had some experience in re building turbos. I'm going down on Thursday so I'll keep everyone posted hopefully it can be sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by pellie View Post
    Non smoker?? I was planning to take it to a friend of mine who has had some experience in re building turbos. I'm going down on Thursday so I'll keep everyone posted hopefully it can be sorted.

Non smoking turbo*
    Our turbos are journal bearing, so can be rebuilt
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

I will say it again for good measure, because the turbos are such rubbish the overhaul kit doesn't bring the turbo back into serviceable specs= waste of money and time.

10. Default

My k04 is for sale on the for sale section of the site off a 2012 gen 2 only done 28000Kms. Shameless plug