User Tag List

Thread: Boost Leak Tester from turboboostleaktesters.com

Default Boost Leak Tester from turboboostleaktesters.com

Hi All,

Time to organise another group buy, this time for a boost leak tester from turboboostleaktesters.com

I know you can make one, but this is a very nice bit of kit from what I can see. Handy to have in your kit of tools. With more and more car's coming with turbo engines, this will be useful for future cars.

Features:
    • Silicon coupler for durability and minimal expansion – Not Rubber!
    • Top-mounted threaded boost gauge to easily read the pressure in the system while testing without having to run into the driver's seat to read the boost.
    • Selectable Option for 15-PSI (stock boost) / 30-PSI (tuned) / (high boost or diesel truck) 60-PSI boost gauge.
    • Chrome threaded tire valve stem secured with a nut.
    • Selectable option for an NPT compressor fitting (cost free).
    • 1 Stainless Steel Worm-Gear Clamp. This secures the coupler to the cap.
    • Selectable upgrade to Stainless Steel T-Bolt clamp
    • For an extra clamp to secure the boost leak tester to the turbo, select the option above

You can choose from a wide variety of inlet size to suit your turbo.

The normal price for one in standard form (no upgraded T-Bolts) to fit the stock turbo is USD$27

I have spoken to Dave who runs the shop and has offered 10-25% discount depending on quantity. He has also offered to send a consolidated shipment where hopefully a nice saving can be found. I did a shipping quote from the website which was approx USD$17 to ship just one and didnt get cheaper for higher quantities.

This is an EOI at this stage. Once I get an estimate of numbers, I will approach Dave again for a final cost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Will this connect to the TIP? Or just turbo inlet?

I'm in

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Will this connect to the TIP? Or just turbo inlet?
    Whichever, provided that the size you order fits. It is advised to fit it directly to the turbo (PITA i know) as the intake isnt designed for high pressures. Also, you will need to block off PCV connection or connect the tester on the intake post PVC if you have a 2 piece design, which I may end up doing cause I'm lazy...

I think 3" fits most intakes as well so you can connect it there under low pressure to check for any leaks. If you end up with a larger 4" turbo then buy a matching reducer or if you want to connect directly to the turbo or hot side of the intercooler. Basically, 3" is the most flexible (4-2" reducers are ridiculous expensive)

Quote Originally Posted by DannersAU View Post
    I'm in

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Excellent !

Please read here.

from their web page:

There are a couple of kits available for my car, which one should I get?
    Basically there are 2 types of kits. The standard boost leak tester and the TIP boost leak tester.
    1. Standard Boost Leak Tester – Attaches to the turbo charger’s inlet flange. This is for most cars that have the turbo easily accessible. For 4 cylinder and inline 5’s and 6’s.
    2. TIP-Kit – (Turbo Intake Pipe Kit) attaches to an intake pipe before the turbo. Typically after the MAF housing. This is for cars that have hard-to-reach turbos. Usually on the boxer engines (Subarus), V6’s and V8 twin turbo’d cars.
    EDIT: only one kit for speed3, which wont be correct for TIP.

most of us have larger intakes anyway... so just pick the size you want
    Last edited by AzzA SP20; 15-05-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    Please read here.

from their web page:

EDIT: only one kit for speed3, which wont be correct for TIP.

most of us have larger intakes anyway... so just pick the size you want
    where did you find that? Cant see it on their website. If there is actually a difference between the two kits, I'm sure we can order whichever one the user prefers.

edit: I found the information in Googles cached website. For some reason when I go to the live website, all I get is to add the Q&A to cart. lol

I couldn't find any information what the differences are between the TIP and and turbo testers. TBH I dont think there is any difference as I couldnt see any TIP versions for sale.
    Last edited by lup15; 15-05-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Subbed - keen if it can go over the TIP I'm keen as mustard.

From my searching I think the 2.25" be able to be stretched over something like a CS TIP.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    where did you find that? Cant see it on their website. If there is actually a difference between the two kits, I'm sure we can order whichever one the user prefers.

edit: I found the information in Googles cached website. For some reason when I go to the live website, all I get is to add the Q&A to cart. lol

I couldn't find any information what the differences are between the TIP and and turbo testers. TBH I dont think there is any difference as I couldnt see any TIP versions for sale.
    ok the website seems to not display the 'How To' and 'Q&A' sections correctly with Chrome and IE. Firefox worked fine

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    Subbed - keen if it can go over the TIP I'm keen as mustard.

From my searching I think the 2.25" be able to be stretched over something like a CS TIP.
    I will ask if the Turbo kit can be used on the TIP

I'm pretty keen. Would there be any downside to connecting to the intercooler hot pipe?
    This seems like the easiest way without either removing the tip or removing and blocking off CC breather/BPV return hoses.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    I'm pretty keen. Would there be any downside to connecting to the intercooler hot pipe?
    This seems like the easiest way without either removing the tip or removing and blocking off CC breather/BPV return hoses.

no not at all. It's probably the safest way to test by doing that. obviously you would need to make sure that the hot side boost tube is securely tightened afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    no not at all. It's probably the safest way to test by doing that. obviously you would need to make sure that the hot side boost tube is securely tightened afterwards
    Thanks @lup15
    That's easier than putting the whole pita tip back on!

Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Anyone wanna do a GB on air compressor since this test kit is useless without a compressor...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    Anyone wanna do a GB on air compressor since this test kit is useless without a compressor...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Bunnings for the compressor. I got my compressor plus all the bits I needed to make my own boost leak tester for under $120.