User Tag List

Thread: awd override

Default awd override

Hi guys, sorry for another new post.

I am pleased to say that I have joined the MPS club, with my purchase of an 05 6 MPS.

Sadly before I can enjoy my car it needs a gearbox service and engine mount replacement - both of which I was aware of thanks to 'tunehouse'.

BUT that hasn't stopped me thinking about mods

I don't fully understand the awd system - in theory or operation. But I do understand it works on torque transfer between 95:5 and 50:50.

Would I be right in thinking that a 'manual override' system could be installed?

if this is possible - what are the pros/cons and cost associated?

Yes there have been a small number of American Mazdaspeed 6 users who have set it to 50:50 constant. I don't have any links, but from memory the only major change they experienced with using it as a daily was an increase in fuel use.

Honestly i cant think of any value, having an ability to override the factory system would bring. What are you trying to achieve?

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

The 6 runs has on demand 50:50, under normal conditions it has a bias towards the front wheels. The clutch pack near the rear diff is electrically operated and could in theory (I haven't really thought too much about this...) be wired up to be a constant 50:50.

Mazda MPS6 4WD - YouTube

Pros: Meeh not much really. Its not going to make it launch better or turn harder...
    Cons: Increased fuel consumption, increasing an already EPIC turning circle into that of the radius of a small moon, possibly messing up the stability control (not 100% on that, that's all voodoo to me).

Cost - I have no idea.

My line of thinking was basically this.

If I had a manual override so I could press a button (or switch) and change it from 95:5 to 50:50 then it would significantly improve safety in the snow/if I was planning to over take in the rain/while driving the mountains in the rain.

I thought of this while driving the work xtrail yesterday. It is a manual selection:
    'front' - pure fwd (I have tested on hills)
    'auto' - essentially the same as the 6 mps
    'Lock' - that locks it at 50:50 if you know you will need it up a hill or w.e

It really comes down to my deep-seated fear and mistrust of anything automatically controlled. I have only recently accepted power windows.

Having said all that - I have not noticed any lag in awd or any grip problems.

Also I imagine if you knew you had 40mins of bumper to bumper traffic ahead of you, or 160kms of freeway it might be a benefit to leave it as 95:5 to take pressure off thr clutch gearbox etc.
    Last edited by Fever; 15-05-2014 at 08:36 AM.

Pretty sure the 6 is 50:50 at all times
    You can disable drive to the rear wheels by pulling the hand brake up a notch

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Pretty sure the 6 is 50:50 at all times
    You can disable drive to the rear wheels by pulling the hand brake up a notch
    Everything on the net suggests it's a variable torque transfer system ranging from 95:5 to 50:50.

And driving down the freeway at 110 with the hand break on sounds like a pretty bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by damien smith View Post
    Everything on the net suggests it's a variable torque transfer system ranging from 95:5 to 50:50.

And driving down the freeway at 110 with the hand break on sounds like a pretty bad idea.
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10254
    And you only need to move it up one notch, not fully engage it
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Mazda 6 Mps Constant AWD or NOT?
    And you only need to move it up one notch, not fully engage it
    How do those numbers equate to torque distribution? I can't make any sense of what they actually mean....

10. Default

I understood that it was 95:5 and then increased power to back wheels depending on the situation to a max of 50:50.
    But if its 50:50 all the time that would be awesome news.

Read post #47 here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdaspe...00-time-5.html

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk