User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black smoke on accel/sooty pipes

1. Default Black smoke on accel/sooty pipes

Hey guys,
    Just gotten over the 6k km mark in the car and I've noticed I'm getting a lot more smoke than I previously noticed on acceleration, and this is translating to very black exhaust pipes. Car is standard apart from a Cobb intake, turbo pipe and a corksport hpfp, still standard spark plugs also.

Can anyone in the know have a look at this log and see if they can spot anything of interest? The log is just a drive home and abit of a 3rd gear pull along the way. Only thing I can see is my a/f dipping down to 8.7.

Thanks for any help.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Boost leek? Running rich there

3. Default

Hmm I wouldn't think so as nothing has really been tampered with on the car. However I will scan it for fault codes this morning and also do a proper WOT log to see.

MAF might need a clean.

Unless you are in truly shit conditions the MAF should be fine after a mere 6K of running. Best bet if new and under warranty is to get Mazda to stick it on their computer and at least get an opinion from the horse's mouth. You don't refer to whether the car is new with only 6K on the clock or 2nd hand and you've only just done the last 6K so further assistance is a bit hard at this point.

6. Default

Sorry thought it made sense, car has only 6k km on it. Havent really noticed any change in economy and there was no faults logged in the ecu. Ill upload a proper WOT log from this morning when i get home.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

7. Default

Attached abit of a better log guys. Was WOT in 2nd and abit in 3rd if I remember. Boost looks to be fine however the a/f does get abit lower than I'm targeting. LTFT have been dialled in correctly getting about +/-2 however I haven't done WOT calibrations as the first check I did showed they were all good, however they look abit iffy now.

Not overly concerned by the smoke, just wondered if it was anything obvious in my tune that I've missed.

holy jesus, trim the log down a bit, just need the parts you go WOT

but at the 280s mark, you go WOT, your AFR's are in the 11.3-11.5 range, which to me is fine...
    are you using the maps provided by corksport?

9. Default

Used a base map of a Cobb stage 1. Then altered it with my own a/f mixtures, boost and the hpfp tables ect. Targeting 11.4 a/f from memory. Havent touched the tune in over 2 months thats why i was wondering about the smoke, but may have just not noticed it

10. Default

I thought it read 60k (my shit eyes)
    They soot up quite easily and puff black smoke, mine runs 11.6 to 11.8 afrs and it throws some black smoke out, the exhausts are dirty just after a few WOT pulls..

Quote Originally Posted by RotarySnail View Post
    Used a base map of a Cobb stage 1. Then altered it with my own a/f mixtures, boost and the hpfp tables ect. Targeting 11.4 a/f from memory. Havent touched the tune in over 2 months thats why i was wondering about the smoke, but may have just not noticed it

Corksport should have provided you with a USB stick that has their own hpfp tables... As their hpfp apparently flows extra, you need specific tables for it.

But yes, these cars make lots of soot, I can make tailgater's lights disappear at night
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

12. Default

Ahh ill have to have a look through the tables incase ive missed something. Will have to have a play around with it on the weekend.

I think turboed cars tend to show sooty pipes a lot anyway as there is always a bit of over-fuelling around town or when on and off throttle, such as on winding roads. It's only on decent runs I see my pipes starting to grey up nicely but still much more dark with carbon than I ever see in non-turboed cars I drive or have driven. But you shouldn't be seeing smoke, unless you've been staggering along baulked by poor road conditions, and then get a chance to plant it, when it will maybe puff once (black smoke, not white) as it clears itself up and gets going nicely.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

14. Default

Yeah its normally just on first boot. I do granny drive quite abit. Not too concerned about it though. Just thought id ask if its something ive screwed.

Nothing wrong Just work on your timing a little. Only boot it in the guts when you have a ding-bat tailgater behind you, give them a taste of dat dirty MPS ass..that's what i do lol.

16. Default

Yeah havent touched timing as of yet. Will probably do that after i give it its first service

Wasn't referring to the car's timing...was referring to yours ....it's inevitable you will blow black smoke..just make sure you do it when someone is right on your tail... hehe

I wouldnt worry if i were you. Mine blows black smoke on WOT and has soot, i have bolt ons and custom tuned, still the same. Everything is clean and clear, just how it is and has been pretty much since i bought it.

I've never seen a MPS, Gen 1 or 2, that didn't chug black smoke like a champ. Its normal.

I love my MPS for that exact reason..
    Always find myself pulling up slowly next to the cyclists and then bam, foot flat, wot and a shitload of black smoke for their lungs.. Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast