User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me out!

Default Help me out!

can anyone help me with this

I have a mps gen2 lux 2009, 50,000k on clock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBP...ature=youtu.be

Recorded this under the car, hand brake on, first gear, slowly engage clutch then disengage and then repeat.
    Have a go and see if your mps makes this noise too?
    First thought it was the rmm which I have replaced as you can see.

I have heard a lot of experiences similar to this...

Took it to my mechanic which Diagnosed "Knock" in front driveline, Quite distinguished when clutch is released in any gear from stop and pronounced whilst driving changing gears going up. After investigation with stethiscope we have discovered "play" in front RHS driveshaft in bearing before inner CV.

Also can produce knock when tapping accelerator in most gears.

Followed this up by taking it to mazda. They checked and found excessive noise from LH gearbox mounting. They want me to replace this first then re-diagnose. A cost of $460 after slogging me $65 to do a pissy little inspection. They also noted play in driveshaft is normal operation for this vehicle. Fair enough if there is some play, but I don't expect to hear knocking. If it was the tranny mount, would it still make the noise when stationary. I am going to check the tranny mount but I believe my mechanic was on the right track. Maybe even the splines? Mazda need to sort their shit out. Poor customer service too, especially when we have dealt with this dealership for 20 years.

I just want a fix for this. Ruins the car for me.
    Last edited by haveheart; 10-05-2014 at 10:31 PM.

There is this tsb, recheck the build date of your car ( don't be confused by compliance date), even if your Mazda doesn't fall into that effected tsb still investigate it.
    http://parts.arlingtonmazda.com/docu...2-10-2336d.pdf

Maybe also post this up on Mazdaspeed 3 MZR Gen2 Forums (2010-2013) - Mazdaspeed Forums
    Its the equivalent to this forum but in the US, more ppl on that forum.

Sorry to hear you havent fixed this yet. Probably unrelated but my car also made light noises when changing gears but i put it down to the cars manufacturing. When i changed to the short shift plate, its disappeared. Goodluck

Ps. You must be crazy frustrated, coz o saw your car on Gumtree this morning.

I will post it up on the US forum. Thanks for that. Build date was Aug 09 so doesn't fall under that tab
    Surely I am not the only one with this problem.
    I put it up on gumtree after mazda blew me off basically. I don't have it up there at the moment.
    I don't really want to sell it but if this is normal like mazda seem to be suggesting, then its not the car for me.
    I love everything else about the car..

have you got someone under car to listen, to see if they can pin point it?

Yep, with a stethiscope

I hit up that US forum, Just got some rude reply from some yank saying do my research, search the forum and that none is going to spoon feed me the answers... haha love it! Pretty sure I have done all the searching and researching I can do.. Will speak to mazda this week I reckon..

If that's all they said @haveheart then they were being nice lol from some of the replies I've herd on MSF

haha @chef they seem very cut throat. Aussies are so much more welcoming!

I have a 2010 June build and I haven't ever noticed that noise. I could understand how frustrating it would be to always hear! Perhaps you could consider looking at a something like a transmission mount insert such as: Mazdaspeed 3 2010+ Transmission Mount Inserts

Thats good to hear! That means it is not normal and there should be a fix for it! I actually bought that insert along with the stage 2 sri and race rmm but have not installed the tranny insert or sri. I wouldn't think that the insert would solve the problem though?? I am thinking of applying molybdenum grease onto the driveshaft and wheel bearing mating surface. Will also check tranny mount for wear and install insert. Hopefully I am on the right track!

Quote Originally Posted by haveheart View Post
    Thats good to hear! That means it is not normal and there should be a fix for it! I actually bought that insert along with the stage 2 sri and race rmm but have not installed the tranny insert or sri. I wouldn't think that the insert would solve the problem though?? I am thinking of applying molybdenum grease onto the driveshaft and wheel bearing mating surface. Will also check tranny mount for wear and install insert. Hopefully I am on the right track!
    I'm not sure about grease, nothing I've looked into before. But I imagine that installing the transmission mount insert would make a difference, provided that the current mount that it's installing into is is in OK condition.

I haven't watched the video as I'm at work but is this what you have?

Pop/thump/clunk noise (gear changes) Found!! - Mazdaspeed Forums

I get a clunk if I let the clutch out too quickly and when changing gears, most common between 3rd to 4th.

It ruins the car for me as the clunking makes it sound and feel like a total piece of shit, and a rear engine mount won't fix it. I popped a JBR in and no difference.

I currently have a JBR short shift plate and a ford e focus mount and I'd say the clunk has reduced by around 50%, particularly just when changing gears. The ssp was the biggest factor in reducing clunking. Still clunks when letting clutch out too quick. I have found I had to adjust my driving style to avoid the clunking as the MPS has a weird clutch action - best for me is to just slightly depress clutch enough to let the shift go through smoothly and don't rush the box. I can now drive the car with close to no clunks. Takes a bit of practise.

I wanted to sell the car within months of buying it and get the wrx that we originally were looking at. Its frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Brissy_MPS3 View Post
    I haven't watched the video as I'm at work but is this what you have?

Pop/thump/clunk noise (gear changes) Found!! - Mazdaspeed Forums

I get a clunk if I let the clutch out too quickly and when changing gears, most common between 3rd to 4th.

It ruins the car for me as the clunking makes it sound and feel like a total piece of shit, and a rear engine mount won't fix it. I popped a JBR in and no difference.

I currently have a JBR short shift plate and a ford e focus mount and I'd say the clunk has reduced by around 50%, particularly just when changing gears. The ssp was the biggest factor in reducing clunking. Still clunks when letting clutch out too quick. I have found I had to adjust my driving style to avoid the clunking as the MPS has a weird clutch action - best for me is to just slightly depress clutch enough to let the shift go through smoothly and don't rush the box. I can now drive the car with close to no clunks. Takes a bit of practise.

I wanted to sell the car within months of buying it and get the wrx that we originally were looking at. Its frustrating.
    Hmmm this is along the lines of what i wrote. Def reduced the noise adding the ssp.

If you wanna try this route then itll only cost you $30 @haveheart
    Saw this on ebay this morning. Worth a shot and itll also reduce your shift throws.
    Mazda 3 MPS Turbo Gearbox Shifter ARM With Dampner Speed 3 Good Condition | eBay

the listing ended
    How does the ssp work exactly?
    Thanks for everyones input, appreciate it

That was fast.....Hope it wasnt someone who saw my post lol

Not sure the mechanics of it but heres the "How to" for it
    How-to: Install JBR Short Shift Plate Kit - Mazdaspeed Forums

sweet, cheers.
    Is there a transmission mount anyone can recommend? cork sports or jbr maybe? I'm going to fit the insert in first and see how it feels.

I reckon try the insert first as they are pretty cheap.

If this cures it for you then I'll have a go as well provided the vibes are non-existent. Its a daily driver so vibes and dash rattles are a no go zone for me.

I'm largely over it but man, for the first few months I hated the car.

anyone have any tips on how to get the bolt that holds the transmission mount out? I have the jack right under the transmission, sprayed a bit of grease on it. Its so tight, slipped once already so I don't wanna strip it. I have left it for now as it was frustrating the hell out of me. Also getting the battery box out was a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by haveheart View Post
    anyone have any tips on how to get the bolt that holds the transmission mount out? I have the jack right under the transmission, sprayed a bit of grease on it. Its so tight, slipped once already so I don't wanna strip it. I have left it for now as it was frustrating the hell out of me. Also getting the battery box out was a pain!
    It is a bit*h! Ha ha
    My impact driver couldn't do it. Eventually I used a long extension bar so that I could fit and a long cross-bar above the engine, with someone on both ends, and eventually it broke loose.
    Make sure you are using the right sized socket though, you don't want to round that bolt head.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast