User Tag List

Thread: James' LSD trip

Default James' LSD trip

So my car has been performing very well of late and is pretty much in a perfect place for power, handling, brakes, etc. The only thing that seems left to actually improve on the car is the diff.

The only real option available for the MPS platform is the Quaife, unless you are willing to sacrifice daily drivability and take on higher maintenance obligations.... neither of which I am keen on. Reedy's thread goes through all this: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/tech-...tml#post280297

What I need to start getting my head around is exactly how much this upgrade is going to cost and what else aside from the Quaife I'll need to factor in. I've broken this out into the separate sections below.

Quaife purchase - ~$1,500 AUD

Edge have this listed for $1,174 USD + $170 USD for shipping. Quaife Limited Slip Differential MS3 07+

I've had a look at a few other places to if there is anywhere else which is considerably cheaper, but so far Edge seems the best.

Replacement Clutch - ~$750 AUD

My car has only just ticked over to 33,000kms and is about 3.5 years old, but is seeing an increasing amount of track kms. Is it worth doing the clutch now given the life of the car to save labour down the track or do I cross that bridge when I come to it?

As far as options on the clutch, the OEM clutch works perfectly fine for me and I have no interest in moving to a clutch where I need to adapt to a bullshit heavy pedal or an "all-or-nothing" friction point.

Edge have:

(I'd expect shipping to be roughly the same for both at $185 USD)

If I am going to replace the clutch, I'd be inclined to get the entire kit as my throwout bearing has been shagged for a while now.

I know there a few other clutch brands out there... ACT, CPE, etc for the MPS. But none seem to be offering anything more which could entice me away from OEM. But if anyone has any experience on a good non-OEM clutch with OEM-like characteristics, sing out so I can have a look.

Replacement Flywheel - ~$1,100 AUD (OEM)

If you are replacing the clutch, is replacing the flywheel as well a foregone conclusion?

If so, Edge can supply an OEM flywheel at a whopping $1,049.54 USD --> OEM Mazda Flywheel MazdaSpeed3/6 06+, but various lightweight flywheel options from Edge are coming in at <$500 USD.

Same as the clutch, I'm not looking at anything that will dramatically change the driveability, so is an OEM replacement the only viable option here? The price disparity between OEM and aftermarket flywheels is enough to consider other options if they won’t alter the car too much...

Labour - ???

I presume this will be the icing on an already large cake of money...

I’ll have a chat to Tunehouse in the next few weeks to see what sort of labour they’d charge. I’d be interested to hear what other options are out there (@mickos??), but otherwise there are very few other places I’d trust to get it done right.

Whatever places are able to do this, it would be interesting to price up a supply + fit cost, as the shipping on all these components will almost pay for another Quaife on their own!

If there is anything else I've missed or not considered from this process, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

I’ll keep this OP updated as I go along so there is a good record for others going down the path in the future.

James get a SouthBend clutch you wont regret it!! I have had ACT/SPEC and south bend.. Southbend kills them all, silky smooth 10/10 clutch

If you go a diff upgrade the gearbox will be removed from the car for the process, do the clutch/flywheel kit at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    James get a SouthBend clutch you wont regret it!! I have had ACT/SPEC and south bend.. Southbend kills them all, silky smooth 10/10 clutch
    Thanks Luke. I had a look around and the Stage 2 kit seems to be comparable to OEM... Is that the one you have --> http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part.../Stage_1/18487

Also, what flywheel did you match it to?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    If you go a diff upgrade the gearbox will be removed from the car for the process, do the clutch/flywheel kit at that point.
    Yeah I figured it'd be a no brainer... What's the 'general' lifespan of a clutch/flywheel before one or both would be needing replacing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    Thanks Luke. I had a look around and the Stage 2 kit seems to be comparable to OEM... Is that the one you have --> http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part.../Stage_1/18487

Also, what flywheel did you match it to?

Yeah I figured it'd be a no brainer... What's the 'general' lifespan of a clutch/flywheel before one or both would be needing replacing?
    this is mine

SBC Stage 3 Mazdaspeed Clutch
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

With the Southbend clutches, Realtuned package them differently to Southbend themselves.

Realtuned package in
    Stage 2 - Equivalent to SouthBend Stage 3 Daily
    Stage 3 - Equivalent to SouthBend Stage 3 Endurance
    Stage 4 - Equivalent to SouthBend Stage 3 Drag
    Stage 5 - Equivalent to SouthBend Stage 4 Race

A lightened flywheel is noticeable less unsprung mass I would do all at once with the quaife. I would drop gearbox oil regularly too keep it all running sweet

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh yes I would get new out diff bearings too

@mickos do you have a lightweight flywheel to go with your quaife? Also, where'd you get yours done? I might flick them an email.

Does anyone with an MPS (preferably a 3) have a lightweight flywheel who can comment or would be willing to let me have a drive to see how much of a difference it makes?

I do. But im so far off standard.... you could compare pedal feel tho

Yeah lightened flywheel got rid of dual mass
    I got saabtech at monavale to remove box then I dropped it out at gearbox factory, picked it back up with quaife in dropped back at saabtech to reinstall

You could try contact gearbox factory they might be able to do the lot, they have a hoist there

Otherwise you could just do the quaife then once the clutch goes which I would imagine being after 70,000kms as reedys is still going strong after all the abuse
    Last edited by mickos; 15-05-2014 at 05:19 PM.