User Tag List

Thread: Different pod filters

1. Default Different pod filters

As some of you might have gathered from my previous thread that I recently installed a Corksport SRI with TIP. I've been mucking around with different filters to see if there is any difference at all. I thought I'd share what I found...

AEM Dry Flow (with corksport kit)

Review articles suggest that this filters better than flows. On my car I would spike 21-22psi and hold about 17psi. Noise wise, it changes note as the turbo gets angry and makes a wicked high pitched sucking but on release of throttle sounds like a nasty choke.

Apexi Power Intake with WRX MAF

Review articles suggest that this is a good filter (not as good as AEM) with excellent flow characteristics (better than AEM). Plus its Japanese and therefore there is rice goodness. Installed in my car, spikes would be about 19-20psi and hold about 15-16psi. Tightening all clamps made no difference. Induction noise and release of throttle sound really nice. I think the decrease in boost might have something to do with the MAF housing and the air straighteners as opposed to the filter. Unfortunately the apexi filter uses a different attachment to the maf then the corksport kit so I couldn't try the apexi filter on the corksport maf housing.

3A Racing

Autosalon magazine found that this cheapy Taiwanese branded filter outflowed all the Japanese & American top guns. No mention about filtration though so I expect that it would probably be pretty average given its high flow characteristics. It was cheap so I bought one and bolted it to the corksport MAF. Boost spiked to 22psi straight up and consistently held 17psi with the usual tapering off as the rev limit approaches. Performance seems to be similar to the AEM. Noise wise, it is almost identical to the Apexi but screams louder. I love induction noise so I'll leave this filter on for a while and see how fuel economy goes.

Despite being cheap, the 3A seems quite well built and the filter material looks similar to Apexi.
    06 6MPS Radiant Ebony Luxury
    Car sold and dearly missed

Blog Entries

Wow just goes to show you don't always get what you pay for...

Nice info though good work

Great work t4orce, gives us all something to think about, and comparison views!

I can also vouch for the 3A filter. It has the wildest induction sound of any filter I have tried.

Any sound clips of any of those filters by any chance?

I changed from an AEM Dry Flow to a K&N, wouldn't go back to the AEM.

Quote Originally Posted by pHiLix View Post
    Any sound clips of any of those filters by any chance?
    I'll try to sort something out.

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post
    I changed from an AEM Dry Flow to a K&N, wouldn't go back to the AEM.
    any particular reason why you would switch to k&n or why you wouldn't go back to a dry filter/the aem?

I used to use an Apexi Pod filter when I first bought my R, but after seeing some performance graphs in HPI mag, I swapped to a autobahn spec Drift Pod filter (dry style) and it has been great, made my turbo spooling noise louder

Quote Originally Posted by kagerou View Post
    any particular reason why you would switch to k&n or why you wouldn't go back to a dry filter/the aem?
    Sorry for the delay in replying, missed your question first go around.

I inherited a 3" K&N pod off Wardski from his MPS and thought I'd give it a go.

I noticed an immediate positive difference in favour of the K&N in terms of driveability and what felt like extra at the top end (flowing more?).

Both the AEM and K&N when compared were used but freshly clean and had been cleaned as per manufacturers instructions, with their respective cleaning kits. Obviously the K&N was oiled also. Compared to the K&N the car felt like it was choking with the AEM on it. So the K&N stayed.

I also have a cheap 'Drift' brand filter from Autobarn that sees duties when the K&N is being cleaned and drying out. It seems to do the job OK.

It's not a very scientific example but I can reproduce the scenario for anyone in Brisbane who is interested, I'll just need a few days notice to get the filters cleaned...

Quote Originally Posted by TallDan View Post

It's not a very scientific example but I can reproduce the scenario for anyone in Brisbane who is interested, I'll just need a few days notice to get the filters cleaned...
    We'll have to put them on for the initial dyno runs next year. Prove for the pudding...........
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2XS View Post
    We'll have to put them on for the initial dyno runs next year. Prove for the pudding...........
    Yeah I guess we could do that, could try all three that I have and do a run with each. Heatsoak incurred during changeover time might render the results useless though based on what we saw at the last dyno day.