User Tag List

Thread: P0172 - Fuel System too rich

Default P0172 - Fuel System too rich

Hey guys! I installed my AP a couple of days ago and flashed with the Stage 1 map (intake & TIP + 98), everything seemed to be running fine however driving to work this morning I had a CEL come up. Its reading P0172 - fuel system too rich. I was monitoring my AFR's and they're around 14.7 just cruising down the highway and 10.8-11.5 when accelerating. The weather this morning was the coldest its been since I've installed the AP so don't know if that has something to do with it? Mods are SRI, TIP & HPFP internals.

Thanks for your help

Wait till you have done 200 odd k's then clear the cel and see if comes up again. Give the fuel trims time to learn and settle.

Sent from my HTC One X

What do your LT fuel trims look like? Sounds like it could be a maf cal issue (had a similar thing once). ECU can still hit target AFR, but if it's having to pull oceans of fuel to do it you will get a code.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

What intake you running?
    Do a MAF cal log

TBH I'm not sure what brand of intake it is, i got it 2nd hand from a mate. I'm running a 3" HTP TIP with a 2.5" MAF housing if that helps? Forgive me for asking such a simple question, but how do i take a MAF cal log? is that just a general log at idle?? I'm brand new to this tuning thing so i'm trying as best i can to get my head around it all

Here is a log at idle showing the LTFT
    Attached Files Attached Files

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...torial-121334/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. Default

Based on your log your fuel trims are out of whack, the system is pulling 16.41% fuel to meet AFR targets at idle, tells me the MAF needs calibration.

Maf Calibration will fix it.

MAF cal log 2nd gear

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 190MPS View Post
    MAF cal log 2nd gear
    Yep, MAF calibration needed big time. LTFT's range from -13.28% to -18.75%. As a guide they should be under 10% (10% absolute).

From your log it looks as though ECU gone into Open Loop mode from row 362 to row 570, hence your LTFT's have gone to 0 from that point.

You'll obviously need to have access to Accessport Tuner Race to perform the changes to the MAF cal table

Thanks @allo80 I thought that was probably going to be the case once i saw those numbers. I've had a good look through the link that @SarcasticOne said. I have downloaded the Accesstuner Race program so do you guys think I would be fine to go ahead and do a MAF calibration on that log i posted?

12. Default

Thanks @allo80 I thought that was probably going to be the case once i saw those numbers. I've had a good look through the link that @SarcasticOne said. I have downloaded the Accesstuner Race program so do you guys think I would be fine to go ahead and do a MAF calibration on that log i posted?
    Follow the tutorial/guide and you'll be okay. That log is good enough to do an initial calibration. Next log you do try to stay in closed loop a bit longer into the rev range. I think on s1 maps the transition from closed to open loop is at 1.2 load

Yeah, that's enough to do a basic MAF cal with

Just take your time and you should be fine

Main thing to do, make sure the numbers go down rather than up

Thanks for all your help guys!!! Another question, @SarcasticOne , when you say that the numbers go down they will change to yellow like stated in the video? Also, when saving the MAF cal to the AP will it alter all the tunes I flash from here on in and do i just go ahead and reflash the stage 1 map that im currently running and i should be good to go with the new calibrations??

Thanks for all your help guys!!! Another question, @SarcasticOne , when you say that the numbers go down they will change to yellow like stated in the video? Also, when saving the MAF cal to the AP will it alter all the tunes I flash from here on in and do i just go ahead and reflash the stage 1 map that im currently running and i should be good to go with the new calibrations??
    I'd save it as "stage 1 - MAF 0.1" or something similar... So you know it's a new map that you've edited. Then you can flash it to the car and should be good to go. It won't alter any previous tunes you've had.

Yeah, the numbers should turn yellow. Was more saying that so you didn't increase the values

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

So i did another MAF cal log earlier to see what difference the changes made and the results are much better!! Thanks @SarcasticOne and @allo80 for your help, it was much appreciated

17. Default

So i did another MAF cal log earlier to see what difference the changes made and the results are much better!! Thanks @SarcasticOne and @allo80 for your help, it was much appreciated
    no worries, LTFT looks much better!

Glad we could help
    Go enjoy your zoom zoom!