User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh No! Smokey Turbo Bro!

wow the efrs is indeed crazy.

An important factor to also consider is the throttle response of the turbo. Turbo lag can be described as the time the turbo takes to start building boost. Whereas throttle response would be how quick the turbo can build up max boost when inside its peak efficiency.

Can someone try and explain that better? lol

The tuning would also have a crucial influence obviously

EFR's spool damn well, they have incredibly light wheels and with inbuilt bpv's their transient response between gear shifts is a lot faster than ours...
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 12-05-2014 at 07:42 PM.

add lightweight flywheel, pistons, crank and valves.... someone doooo iittt

edit: the EFR turbo sounds like a totally incredible turbo by the sounds of this thread http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...6758-a-157193/

better spool than the K04 but more top end. da fark!?
    Last edited by lup15; 12-05-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    add lightweight flywheel, pistons, crank and valves.... someone doooo iittt

edit: the EFR turbo sounds like a totally incredible turbo by the sounds of this thread KILLERVIZ Goes Full Race EFR 6758 - Mazdaspeed Forums

better spool than the K04 but more top end. da fark!?
    Light weight pistons, rods, flywheel, clutch, valves, retainers, springs, race balance, speed porting check!!!! just no efr lol
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

BNR stage 1 has been ordered. They are on back order until mid June so will hopefully get back to full strength by July.

Also have autotech hpfp and a cpe tmic on the way to complete the build.

Had a P2096 - Post cat fuel mix too lean code come up today.

Wondering if this is due to the extra oil and shit clogging up the CAT/sensor or if it's something else? Do people with smokey turbos get this code very often? I have had it before and it wasn't an actual problem. More to do with the aftermarket CAT than anything else.

I had that constantly when the new DP went in. Went away after Troy extended the loom of the second o2 sensor which we moved to after the aftermarket car. It's the bain of BL owners. @CelestialSpool had it for about 2 years lol

pesky P2096!

I had exactly the same problem occur about 2 years ago as well but since it's been gone for so long I figured that the new one was possibly related to the cars recent health troubles.

Turbo and intercooler are on their way. Questions from here:

1. Who to install? @MPS2NV @LittleredMPS - If I drive up for a weekend could we do a turbo swap? How long will you need and how much do you want? Tunehouse remain an option but price will be a big factor. - Side question, does the engine need to come out to replace the turbo or can that be done without removing the whole thing?
    2. Who to tune? Tunehouse have already done it and they have an awesome dyno. I could buy an AP and have it tuned by any number of people for a similar price. I think I will stick with Tunehouse but its worth considering other options nonetheless.

They're doing my turbo swap this weekend, it's a fair bit cheaper than TH would cost...

Done with engine in, should be easier than a BT swap as they won't have to pull the exhaust manifold...

If you like th, stick with them, how much would a retune be?

My guess at pricing for a retune would come in somewhere between $400-$700.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

The issue with getting Jase and Mitch to tune it is driving it down to Sydney to get tuned without it blowing up. It would be nice to bolt it in and re tune it all in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    The issue with getting Jase and Mitch to tune it is driving it down to Sydney to get tuned without it blowing up. It would be nice to bolt it in and re tune it all in one go.
    Just plug the boost source into the waste gate, won't get more than spring pressure of boost (think it's a 10psi spring on a s1)
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

16. Default

go for RayD eTune my friend

will give you a safe base map to drive away with after turbo swap. Then you start the maf cal, logging process.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    go for RayD eTune my friend

will give you a safe base map to drive away with after turbo swap. Then you start the maf cal, logging process.
    He shouldn't need a MAF cal as the intake is staying the same, and even if it does change, it'll be within the ECU's limits to correct it, as I don't see it changing by more than 5-10%.

The only issue that's likely to occur is boost control, as spring pressure on a k04 may be different to a s1.

By connecting the boost source straight to the waste gate, he'll never run more than spring pressure, so it should be fine to drive home
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Just don't se the jandle to muh until tuned but I doubt you will have any real big concerns

Turbo and intercooler are on their way. Questions from here:

1. Who to install? @MPS2NV @LittleredMPS - If I drive up for a weekend could we do a turbo swap? How long will you need and how much do you want? Tunehouse remain an option but price will be a big factor. - Side question, does the engine need to come out to replace the turbo or can that be done without removing the whole thing?
    2. Who to tune? Tunehouse have already done it and they have an awesome dyno. I could buy an AP and have it tuned by any number of people for a similar price. I think I will stick with Tunehouse but its worth considering other options nonetheless.
    As long as all the parts required are ready to go, the turbo doesn't require any special plumbing and the boost hose fits it's easy enough to do a turn around for you send me a pm with details of parts breakdown you have coming so nothing gets missed and see what we can do!
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

20. Default

TH charged me $887 to fit my GTX, i also had DP and 3 port EBCS fitted at the same time and $770 to tune it.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast