User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh No! Smokey Turbo Bro!

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    why? it does what he needs to do how the car responds is all down to the tuner, not the software...
    IMO the only reasons he has to move over to an AP would either be for flat foot shifting or to run an e85 map, and he doesn't want either of those...
    I can't really see anyone else who has better experience tuning an engine to be flogged on a track than Jim...
    the guys at stratified would probably be a close second...

Jim knows what you want, and knows how cars react on a race track, I see no need for you to switch
    I agree with you sam, Jim would understand what reedy wants best. Jim/TH set his car up why wouldnt he go there....

But in saying that would he want to experience something different? Up to you Reedy
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 28-04-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

for what it's worth, the K04-882 has a borg warner part number of: L3M7 13 700G
    might be worth contacting a BW distributor here, see if you can get one cheap?

EDIT: never mind, they want $2000+ for one...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KLS-K03-K...item3cd9e26218 <-- worth looking into?
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 28-04-2014 at 09:27 PM.

3. Default

why? it does what he needs to do how the car responds is all down to the tuner, not the software...
    IMO the only reasons he has to move over to an AP would either be for flat foot shifting or to run an e85 map, and he doesn't want either of those...
    I can't really see anyone else who has better experience tuning an engine to be flogged on a track than Jim...
    the guys at stratified would probably be a close second...

Jim knows what you want, and knows how cars react on a race track, I see no need for you to switch
    Just speaking from experience, i asked Jim on my previous tunes with KO4 and GTx where i wanted the power and to taper it and was told we can do that with ecuteck, and all i got was the same boost coming in at a certain rev range and just felt like shit up top..and thats after a couple of $800 tuns to get the car back and have zero difference in how it drove
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

@Reedy gcg have a "kit" apparently comes with required fittings, fits to stock dp and mani, they assure me that its characteristics are very close to oem with higher flow capabilities , it's a gt2871 chra. It price is $2350... Now justin (3885288 or what ever user name is) should have some mrt dyno results here. It has a 3" nose on the compressor housing. Was a tidy turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    @Reedy gcg have a "kit" apparently comes with required fittings, fits to stock dp and mani, they assure me that its characteristics are very close to oem with higher flow capabilities , it's a gt2871 chra. It price is $2350... Now justin (3885288 or what ever user name is) should have some mrt dyno results here. It has a 3" nose on the compressor housing. Was a tidy turbo.
    Interesting but holy damn thats pricey. Wonder how it compares to the BNR turbo's

That's wasn't retail price either!

That's a bit exxy.

The contenders so far:

BNR Stage 1 (pricing TBD)

CP-e elevate turbo (A bit overpriced for what it does but an option nonetheless)
    CP-E MZR 2.3 DISI Elevate™ Turbo

GTX28r (Needs a 3" inlet pipe)
    ATP Turbo GTX28R Bolt-On Turbo Kit MS3

Other supporting mods to do with it:
    HPFP (It's time I finally got this) Either Autotech or Corksport
    TMIC - Either ETS ($600) or CP-e ($400)

Question: Who has data on Cp-e vs ETS intercoolers? The Cp-e one is much cheaper, is the ETS one any better?

Alternatively, there is a replacement K04 available from Edge that is seemingly well priced:
    Mazda OEM Turbocharger

From memory the person testing the CPE said it wasn't worth the coin...

There was someone testing tmic's on MSF a while back, will see if I can find it...

Just from everything I've seen, the ETS flows more air, but I'm guessing for your car you'd be more interested in cooling capacity than how much extra air it flows...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. Default

the corksport TMIC is great value i only swapped mine to an ETS after i went meth and it maxed out around 270kw, for what you are going to use your car for the C/s is perfect unless you can get a 2nd hand ETS or CPE cheaper

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ledfootrob View Post
    Interesting but holy damn thats pricey. Wonder how it compares to the BNR turbo's
    it is basically the same thing as a BNR3 (2871 CHRA) just almost a $1000 mark up.

as you were looking at the k04 vs 2860 idea

APR Presents: 2.0 TSI/TFSI K04 Turbocharger System!
    yeah it's on a 2.0L audi, but it's the only thing i can find...
    that's the GT2860 rather than the GTX, but it looks to be a very close replacement...
    it says that they couldnt spool it any faster as it would surge, so, i'd say you'd get the response you want with an extra 0.3L of capacity
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    the corksport TMIC is great value i only swapped mine to an ETS after i went meth and it maxed out around 270kw, for what you are going to use your car for the C/s is perfect unless you can get a 2nd hand ETS or CPE cheaper
    CP-e costs the same as Corksport at the moment.

It's still laggier than a K04 tho

as you were looking at the k04 vs 2860 idea

APR Presents: 2.0 TSI/TFSI K04 Turbocharger System!
    yeah it's on a 2.0L audi, but it's the only thing i can find...
    that's the GT2860 rather than the GTX, but it looks to be a very close replacement...
    it says that they couldnt spool it any faster as it would surge, so, i'd say you'd get the response you want with an extra 0.3L of capacity
    Last edited by Reedy; 30-04-2014 at 01:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    by maybe 100-150rpm...
    if that's too laggy, then not sure what other options are available to you...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

It might spool a fraction later in the RPM range, but is that actually going to make a difference to response when over say 3000rpm and jumping on the throttle?

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

Use a K04 exhaust housing on a GTX28 you may get a little less power out of it but response is there.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Don't know if it's possible to get a smaller hotside, or if it only comes in the one size...

Might be worth sending @EdgeAutosport.com a message?

What pressure wastegate actuator am I gonna want? I want a 16PSI tune.

With a 3" inlet on the turbo will I need a new MAF housing or is the existing one 3" already? Will I only need to replace the TIP and the rest of the intake will be fine?
    Last edited by Reedy; 30-04-2014 at 11:59 AM.

What pressure wastegate actuator am I gonna want? I want a 16PSI tune.

With a 3" inlet on the turbo will I need a new MAF housing or is the existing one 3" already? Will I only need to replace the TIP and the rest of the intake will be fine?
    The actuator is the lowest boost pressure you can run...
    A 10psi is probably ideal for you, as a 14psi might be too high...

The TIP will need to be replaced, and you can keep your stock MAF (2.5" )... You're not going big power, so a bigger MAF probably isn't needed.
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 30-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Suggestions on a good TIP?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast